PDA

View Full Version : So we have a Hung Parliment...Who should form the Government?

Kodiak
07-May-10, 10:33
So it is now clear that we have a Hung Parliment.

At the time of this being posted the Conservatives have the largest number of seats, 291 and Labour 248, with Lib/Dems 51.

So what should Gordon Brown do now. Should he try to make a deal with the Lib/Dems and try to run the country. Or should he stand down and let David Cameron form a Minority Government.

Whatever happens I think we are due for an interesting weekend.

adi1
07-May-10, 10:37
Good one but seeing Gordon Brown as never been elected as the Prime Minister he should go.
In my opinion I think there maybe another general election in a year or two.

RecQuery
07-May-10, 10:40
I think Brown has to try and form a government whether coalition or minority, he has to do it hes constitutionally required. He could then standard down as PM or stay around.

Then it'll get thrown to Cameron I don't think he could form one unless he puts PR on the table for the Lib Dems and if he goes minority the others could just out vote him.

In Europe where hung parliaments are normal it can take up to 40 days for everything to get sorted out.

Its important to note its a Parliament with a PM not a president, Brown doesn't need to be elected it doesn't work like that. BTW I hate Brown I'm just saying in fairness.

The last resort is the Queen calling another election or if a government if formed them doing the same thing.

ShelleyCowie
07-May-10, 10:40
So it is now clear that we have a Hung Parliment.

At the time of this being posted the Conservatives have the largest number of seats, 291 and Labour 248, with Lib/Dems 51.

So what should Gordon Brown do now. Should he try to make a deal with the Lib/Dems and try to run the country. Or should he stand down and let David Cameron form a Minority Government.

Whatever happens I think we are due for an interesting weekend.

I think Labour should try a deal with Lib Dems. Me and my OH have been discussing this for a few days, and he absolutely hates politics but he is very interested in this election.

Do you think there could be a re-vote? Was listening to it last night and thousands complaining they never got to vote because polling stations ran out of ballot papers and were too busy so would not let them vote.

What would happen in that situation? Just curious! :D

RecQuery
07-May-10, 10:47
Well Labour need more than the Lib Dems for a coalition they'd need the SNP and the Welsh nationals and they would want concessions which would piss off England where the Tories have their majority.

Camerons talk about mandates may bite him in the ass in Scotland.

My guess would be legal action if the missed votes could of made a difference.

We need PR and fixed terms.

John Little
07-May-10, 11:10
If Broon has an ounce of sense he will let Cameron be PM. He and Clegg can pull the plug any time they wish but let the country have 6 months of Geordie Osborne...........:eek:

riggerboy
07-May-10, 11:14
i think we should hang them all,

hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em

hang em hang em hang em high

and start again,,,,

Saveman
07-May-10, 11:18
i think we should hang them all,

hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em
hang em hang em hang em

hang em hang em hang em high

and start again,,,,

You really think the next lot will be any better??

John Little
07-May-10, 11:23
Nah - he just likes hanging people - does it all the time in Wick.....:eek:

riggerboy
07-May-10, 11:30
You really think the next lot will be any better??

Nah - he just likes hanging people - does it all the time in Wick.....:eek:

well i think we should start a government with the good folks of caithness, i think we should run the country,

i do believe there was a post on here before with the posts of government already allocated,

as for hanging folks it`s just a job really 8-),

RecQuery
07-May-10, 11:55
Its electoral reform I'm hoping for out of this:

True proportional representation
Term limits
The ability to recall an MP via local referendum

Doreen
07-May-10, 12:26
Better the devil we know than the one we dont their all full of promises until they get in.

Jeid
07-May-10, 12:47
I never voted, never have. But this has been interesting.

Brown has the right to form a coalition as he is the current PM. It'll be an interesting few days I think.

katarina
07-May-10, 13:10
Do you think there could be a re-vote? Was listening to it last night and thousands complaining they never got to vote because polling stations ran out of ballot papers and were too busy so would not let them vote.

What would happen in that situation? Just curious! :D

they should have had a photocopier at hand just in case - or is that too easy? every one that wants to vote HAS to get their chance. Otherwise it's not a democracy.

Cattach
07-May-10, 13:11
I voted Lib Dem. If they go to bed with the Tories then it is the last vote they will get from me. I could stand Lab - Lib packed but not the other one.

ducati
07-May-10, 13:12
Where is the SNP? or 'others' as we like to call 'em [lol]

Kodiak
07-May-10, 13:17
they should have had a photocopier at hand just in case - or is that too easy? every one that wants to vote HAS to get their chance. Otherwise it's not a democracy.

Every person who is registered to Vote and if they wish to vote should be able to vote.

That is if they arrive in Time to vote. It is the Law that the Voting stops at 10pm and the people who are now shouting that they never had a chance to vote were trying to vote after 10pm.

If they were that keen to vote they should have made sure that they arrived in plenty of time and not at the last minute.

RecQuery
07-May-10, 13:35
The issue over turned away voters only really matters if the numbers would have affected the leading candidate. Others because we're FPTP its not really that big an issue. Still disappointing though.

I can see the Lib Dems siding with the Tories if they get electoral reform, thats the big picture here. Plus they can keep the Tories in check as coalition doesn't mean do what we say vote how we vote.

celtic1888
07-May-10, 14:44
worst possible outcome?!

tartanyorkie
07-May-10, 15:27
Yes, if you remember Margaret Thatcher!

Green_not_greed
07-May-10, 16:08
Where is the SNP? or 'others' as we like to call 'em [lol]

I think they kept the same number of seats, but certainly looks like a resounding kick in the teeth for the SNP and their plans for world domination. The rest of the MSPs should rally together and use this to force a vote of no confidence in the SNP government followed by a Scottish election. Given last nights vote Labour would blow them away.

ducati
07-May-10, 16:38
OK, so looking good for Cameron to try to form a gubberment with support from LDs.

As a small business person, car driver, smoker, moderate drinker, married, no kids, home owner, double income family,

Look's good to me :D

What about you?

John Little
07-May-10, 17:25
You must be joking. I never saw so many people so eager to drink a cup of poison.

Whoever does it we are all going to take the hit now - and all that was really at stake was how hard it was going to be. Doesn't really matter who 'won'.

Won what?

This situation may soften it but we are for it now. [disgust]

ducati
07-May-10, 19:35
You must be joking. I never saw so many people so eager to drink a cup of poison.

Whoever does it we are all going to take the hit now - and all that was really at stake was how hard it was going to be. Doesn't really matter who 'won'.

Won what?

This situation may soften it but we are for it now. [disgust]

Ah don't be so negative. I've been gagging for this for 13 years. Mind you even I have to admit, if Nick can temper things a little, it may be better.

Looking forward to getting out of Afghanistan, I'm sure once they get there teeth into that, they will properly resource the chaps to get it finished off. Tories don't do open ended wars. Too expensive!

Max
07-May-10, 21:11
Conservative won - 306 seats. They should run the country - it is a democracy and they are the chosen party - Lib dems only won 54 seats and labour 258. Go for it David Cameron.

Sara Jevo
07-May-10, 21:12
This may be not a bad election to lose.

Whoever leads the next Government is likely to become extremely unpopular as a result of the tough decisions on spending and taxes that are inevitable.

I wonder how those who voted for John Thurso would feel if they knew their vote could, depending on these talks, let in a Tory Government lead by Cameron?

That said, Libs and Torys aint natural bedfellows - I think Mr Clegg is just being polite in letting Mr Cameron having a foxtrot with him first.

John Little
07-May-10, 22:31
"Tories don't do open ended wars. Too expensive!"............errrr Hate to contradict you old boy but.........Boer war, World war one (Tory dominated coalition refused peace negotiations 1917) World war two (Chamberlain) Suez....

Tories do a good shout on war but their record ain't that good. Press me if you wish, but not till Monday - my mum is visiting.

George Brims
08-May-10, 00:46
Its electoral reform I'm hoping for out of this:

True proportional representation
Term limits
The ability to recall an MP via local referendum

The first one tends to lead to perpetual and ever-changing coalitions (Israel and Italy come to mind).
Term limits lead to a lot of very experienced people being pushed out of government in favour of younger, inexperienced, and usually more radical people, and also to a lot of people in one level of government doing a poor job because they have their eye on how to get elected to something else when their term is up (such as our LA Mayor, who has his eye on becoming Governor of California).
Recalls: we have that process in California. That is how we got a very dull governor replaced by - the Governator! As you might guess I am not entirely in favour of the idea.

ducati
08-May-10, 06:34
"Tories don't do open ended wars. Too expensive!"............errrr Hate to contradict you old boy but.........Boer war, World war one (Tory dominated coalition refused peace negotiations 1917) World war two (Chamberlain) Suez....

Tories do a good shout on war but their record ain't that good. Press me if you wish, but not till Monday - my mum is visiting.

Blimey! Long memory :eek:

fred
08-May-10, 08:25
Blimey! Long memory :eek:

You don't need a long memory, the conservatives supported the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In March 2003 139 Labour MPs supported an amendment opposing the war in Iraq, only 15 Conservative MPs voted for it.

This year we will spend around £4 billion on killing people we would probably like if we ever met them in Afghanistan which is probably about the same amount they are going to cut from the Health Services budget as part of their austerity measures.

Seventy percent of the population are opposed to the war in Afghanistan yet it was hardly mentioned in the election campaigning because all three parties support it. It should have been the main point yet the public were not given the opportunity to vote for a party who would bring the troops home.

Cattach
08-May-10, 09:59
It's the end of the road for the Lib Dems if they get into bed with the Conservatives.

Phill
08-May-10, 10:01
Well, bin away fer a few days an' come to t'find the country is all büggered up.

RB, I'm with you old chap, get the gallows out.

Has anyone got the number for Buck house, I'll give Lizzie a call and tell her we can form a gov'ment from here.

:Razz

golach
08-May-10, 10:22
I have noticed that Wee Eck and his Nats, have been very quiet since the election. Where were the 20 predicted Nat seats? I think his days as First Minister are numbered. £50K plus costs wasted in a silly court case, all conveniently swept under the carpet [disgust]

ducati
08-May-10, 11:08
You don't need a long memory, the conservatives supported the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In March 2003 139 Labour MPs supported an amendment opposing the war in Iraq, only 15 Conservative MPs voted for it.

This year we will spend around £4 billion on killing people we would probably like if we ever met them in Afghanistan which is probably about the same amount they are going to cut from the Health Services budget as part of their austerity measures.

Seventy percent of the population are opposed to the war in Afghanistan yet it was hardly mentioned in the election campaigning because all three parties support it. It should have been the main point yet the public were not given the opportunity to vote for a party who would bring the troops home.

I agree, now we need the money for something else, and the gubberment don't have an vested interest in proving they were right, see how quick the troops come home. ;)

But in the meantime, come on Clegg! suck it up, we have a country to run :roll:

pegasus
08-May-10, 15:13
What's going on here? One polling station turned away voters after running out of ballot papers. Thousands of folks being denied a vote because they were also turned away. No wonder at it, that some were left fuming! Then we hear stories of non existant, under age and even dead folks voting and to cap it all there is talk of us joining the Euro. Anyone think that there is plans afoot to get rid of the £? :roll:

fred
08-May-10, 15:47
What's going on here? One polling station turned away voters after running out of ballot papers. Thousands of folks being denied a vote because they were also turned away. No wonder at it, that some were left fuming! Then we hear stories of non existant, under age and even dead folks voting and to cap it all there is talk of us joining the Euro. Anyone think that there is plans afoot to get rid of the £? :roll:

They want to install electronic voting machines but the system has to be broke before they can justify fixing it.

pegasus
08-May-10, 16:17
They want to install electronic voting machines but the system has to be broke before they can justify fixing it.

You mean like America? Whats it matter when all the candidates stand for the same thing.

fred
08-May-10, 16:43
You mean like America? Whats it matter when all the candidates stand for the same thing.

It means that voting becomes a commercial enterprise, the firms that sell and operate the machines get loads of tax payer's money.

Anfield
08-May-10, 16:44
Shortage of voting slips, voters turned away from door, bomb threats at polling stations, underage votoers, many allegations of electoral fraud etc.
If this happened in an African or Asian country we would be saying that election was illegal and should be run again

I think we should have a "X Factor" type re-run.
All parties are given 10 minutes to explain policies, then a telephone vote is opened. Hosted of course by Ant & Dec

fred
08-May-10, 16:49
Shortage of voting slips, voters turned away from door, bomb threats at polling stations, underage votoers, many aggegations of electoral fraud etc.
If this happened in an African or Asian country we would be saying that election was illegal and should be run again

I think we should have a "X Factor" type re-run.
All parties are given 10 minutes to explain policies, then a telephone vote is opened. Hosted of course by Ant & Dec

Well when the party that got 25% of the votes only got 9% of the seats while the party that got 39% of the vote got 47% of the seats we could hardly pretend it was democratic anyway.

ducati
08-May-10, 17:38
Well when the party that got 25% of the votes only got 9% of the seats while the party that got 39% of the vote got 47% of the seats we could hardly pretend it was democratic anyway.

Well look on the bright side, we've got rid of the lying , murdering, war mongers :mad:

I thought you would be pleased. :eek:

Anfield
08-May-10, 18:14
Well look on the bright side, we've got rid of the lying , murdering, war mongers :mad:

I thought you would be pleased. :eek:

To be replaced shortly with another bunch of lying , murdering, war mongers

Tighsonas4
08-May-10, 18:25
when you listen to all this and that 55 years ago this country was celebrating ve day thatwas after years of war
if we were in a ravel like this then hitlers descendents might have been living here now
this was a country undivided then, ,as the saying goes united we stand divided we fall pity its still not the same yet tony

Andfield
08-May-10, 19:11
many aggegations of electoral fraud etc.

Wots an aggegation then m8 ?[lol]

RecQuery
08-May-10, 22:09
The first one tends to lead to perpetual and ever-changing coalitions (Israel and Italy come to mind).
Term limits lead to a lot of very experienced people being pushed out of government in favour of younger, inexperienced, and usually more radical people, and also to a lot of people in one level of government doing a poor job because they have their eye on how to get elected to something else when their term is up (such as our LA Mayor, who has his eye on becoming Governor of California).
Recalls: we have that process in California. That is how we got a very dull governor replaced by - the Governator! As you might guess I am not entirely in favour of the idea.

Okay I'm not really moving on PR, its the only way I can think of stopping the massively disproportionate allocation of seats. I'm in favour of STV PR though AV+ would do for now.

As for Term limits I don't mean on individual MPs or positions. I was thinking a set limit before a general election had to be called to stop a PM manipulating it.

I think some form of recall would be required also, to ensure MPs etc follow their promises within reason based on whatever unknown situation arises.

I'm also in favour of:

A limit on political donations
A better system to oversee MPs special interests and lobbying groups etc

NickInTheNorth
09-May-10, 09:24
Okay I'm not really moving on PR, its the only way I can think of stopping the massively disproportionate allocation of seats. I'm in favour of STV PR though AV+ would do for now.

As for Term limits I don't mean on individual MPs or positions. I was thinking a set limit before a general election had to be called to stop a PM manipulating it.

I think some form of recall would be required also, to ensure MPs etc follow their promises within reason based on whatever unknown situation arises.

I'm also in favour of:

A limit on political donations
A better system to oversee MPs special interests and lobbying groups etc

I so totally agree with you RecQuery - the only thing I would add is perhaps public funding of campaigns rather than the current funding system, why should parties be able to buy votes?

John Little
09-May-10, 09:40
"...if we were in a ravel like this then hitlers descendents might have been living here now..."

The ravel came in May 1940 during the debate over the disaster our forces had suffered in Norway. Leo Amory said to Neville Chamberlain;
“You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!”

echoing Cromwell.

Then followed exactly the process going on now as Churchill and Halifax vied to lead the conservatives and Attlee said he could not support Lord Halifax as PM.

The wheeling and dealing between parties threw up Churchill as our Prime Minister, which he would not otherwise have been.

So imagine a scenario where Clegg said he could work with Labour, not Brown - with Johnson? Or........

I have to say that I think this to be a strength of our democracy, not a weakness. And so would be for PR.

You end up with a leader everyone agrees on. Or at least in 1940....

golach
09-May-10, 09:48
Sorry John Little, got to disagree with you here, your 1940 scenario would not work in these present times, the difference of the attitudes of the voters then and today is too great, Very little Media hype in those days, no Television, no Internet, and in the 1940 there was respect for your Elders, and Authority, today there is virtually none.

joxville
09-May-10, 11:35
I have noticed that Wee Eck and his Nats, have been very quiet since the election. Where were the 20 predicted Nat seats? I think his days as First Minister are numbered. £50K plus costs wasted in a silly court case, all conveniently swept under the carpet [disgust]

50K is nowt compared to the £440m it cost to build the joke parliament; all to allow Salmond to eventually be a big fish in a wee pond. :roll:

changilass
09-May-10, 11:49
50K is nowt compared to the £440m it cost to build the joke parliament; all to allow Salmond to eventually be a big fish in a wee pond. :roll:

Salmond wanted The Royal High School, it was labour wanted the joke parliament.

With regard the 50k court case, this was done by donations, it didn't come out of the public purse.

Tighsonas4
09-May-10, 12:49
agree wholeheartdly with golach. in those days there no need for all this knifing AND ATTACKING old age pensioners in the street
the papers came in your door and from then on in they could get all the fighting they wanted , and more this country now can not be compared with the age we live in NOW [no comparsion] tony

gleeber
09-May-10, 13:19
agree wholeheartdly with golach. in those days there no need for all this knifing AND ATTACKING old age pensioners in the street
the papers came in your door and from then on in they could get all the fighting they wanted , and more this country now can not be compared with the age we live in NOW [no comparsion] tony
I kind of agree myself although there's no going back. We have till learn to adapt to the chages in attitudes and I think instead of being taught to reapect our elders it might be more beneficial to be taught to respect ourselves. Then respecting our elders will be automatic because very often our elders are also stuck in a place where their attitudes may not be beneficial to healthy living.
Most of us probably have that ability already but I see it as the core of the social problems with youth crime.

golach
09-May-10, 14:29
Salmond wanted The Royal High School, it was labour wanted the joke parliament.

With regard the 50k court case, this was done by donations, it didn't come out of the public purse.

The Royal High School was another hot air issue by Wee Eck, it was rejected by all the other parties as a security risk, because of the hill behind it, Calton Hill, Terrorists would have easy access, but where it was finally situated made good sense Arthurs Seat would not class as a hill.........Aye Right.
Yes the £50k was done by donations, but the BBC's Court costs were awarded against the SNP, where did that extra money come from?

golach
09-May-10, 14:34

IMHO the Parliament Building is a wonderful building, have you been in it Jox?

Now lets talk about a bigger waste on money that Mr S endorses The Edinburgh Trams, already over budget by £250m and rising, and now 3 years late.

joxville
09-May-10, 14:54
IMHO the Parliament Building is a wonderful building, have you been in it Jox?

Now lets talk about a bigger waste on money that Mr S endorses The Edinburgh Trams, already over budget by £250m and rising, and now 3 years late.

I'm not knocking the building, what annoys me is the cost of it. How did something, which initally was to cost £40m, multiply to 11 times that? As far I can see, £40m should have got them one helluva building. :eek:

As for the trams debacle, it's typical of everything built in the UK, it always goes over budget and is always late. :roll:

ShelleyCowie
09-May-10, 14:58
IF Lib Dems come together with the con's then what do we think will happen first? :confused

My OH and me were just reading that SNP are wanting Lib Dems to join up with them plus Labour and a Welsh Party.....is that something anyone thinks could happen?

I have never been so interested in an election, and im going to admit it but i never thought it would affect me so i thought "whats the point?"

But this election has had me on the edge of my seat. If Conservatives and Lib Dems join together to form the Gubberment then....well...im screwed really!

Dont care if people have a go at me because i wont bite. But the tax credits will affect me. baby due in September....if tax credits are dropped or cut...i will have to go back to work by November at the latest.

Job cuts at Dounreay are expected also. Correct me if im wrong but thats something Lib Dems and Conservatives agree on is that they want to cut hundreds of jobs from there.

it just seems like a great mess to me. :confused

Shabbychic
09-May-10, 15:04

I was under the immpression that the SNP were against the Trams from the start. They were outvoted by the other parties, and were forced to go ahead with this project against their will. :)

gleeber
09-May-10, 15:06
They will only be cutting tax credits if you make more than 50 thousand a year.
Yes, we could still have a labour led minority government.
As for Dounreay. I would hope in any Lib/Con agreement our local MP would be able to apply some swing.

crayola
09-May-10, 15:13
Does anyone want to put money on Gordon Brown still being Prime Minister next month? In my opinion there is as close to zero chance of that red herring being caught as there is of compulsory voting being something worth discussing right now.

RecQuery
10-May-10, 07:56
Well conservative pundits are shouting down PR as a non-relevant issue, which seems kind of disingenuous to me.

The current Tory thinking is to hold a referendum on PR but campaign and vote against it, which is fine. Now if I were the Lib Dems I'd bring forth Tory legislation and vote against it. Seems just the same to me as the Tory view on PR.

The other stumbling block is when to have cuts.

As for a Lab/Lib/SNP/Welsh government it is a possibly. The problem is people are screaming about propping up Brown, now while hes not my favourite person thats the nature of a political system. The nationalists would want concessions also. Which could annoy the largely Tory voting England.

The Tories have a mandate in England but not Wales or Scotland
Labour and the Lib Dems have mandates in Wales and Scotland but not England that'll also be a big point regardless of what happens.

Andfield
10-May-10, 08:14
Should we not just keep re-running the election until everybody gets fed up and votes Labour - thats how we would do it on Merseyside [lol]

ducati
10-May-10, 08:50
Is Thatcher's the Conservative shop still there? It was at the end of Penny Lane on Allerton Road :eek:

Andfield
10-May-10, 09:10
Not in my part of town and tearooms were never my scene. I think it was probably firebombed by the Trots or some of these Militant loonies. [lol]

ducati
10-May-10, 09:15
Not in my part of town and tearooms were never my scene. I think it was probably firebombed by the Trots or some of these Militant loonies. [lol]

That's a shame they did a terrific scone :(

Leanne
10-May-10, 09:19
Jeremy Clarkson for PM

ducati
10-May-10, 09:23
Here is a link to a Maggie Thatcher quote generator http://www.fandmpublications.co.uk/pages/maggiequote.htm

For when we all need inspiring :D

Incidentally the whole site is hilarious.