PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page In Early Appearance

Suspects
06-Jun-06, 17:06
You'll like this one. Jimmy Page could have been a biologist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXeC40P80o&search=jimmy%20page

Little did he know that the Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, "snapper incidents", Boleskine House, opening bridges in Lyth and playing with a folk musician from Springpark lay ahead

Chobbersjnr
06-Jun-06, 17:25
You'll like this one. Jimmy Page could have been a biologist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXeC40P80o&search=jimmy%20page

Little did he know that the Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, "snapper incidents", Boleskine House, opening bridges in Lyth and playing with a folk musician from Springpark lay ahead

He didn't open a bridge at Lyth. He opened a harbour at Gills or Huna. So me Dad says, as he was the entertainment at the Mey Hotel when Mr. page was eating.

Chobbersjnr
06-Jun-06, 17:30
heck I played that in Top Joe's quite recently

Suspects
06-Jun-06, 18:14
He didn't open a bridge at Lyth. He opened a harbour at Gills or Huna. So me Dad says, as he was the entertainment at the Mey Hotel when Mr. page was eating.

Lol I stand corrected, I was only a loon at the time so I remember it was something out that part of the county. Did Page play at all when he was up.

Gleber2
06-Jun-06, 18:24
Lol I stand corrected, I was only a loon at the time so I remember it was something out that part of the county. Did Page play at all when he was up.

Claimed he had a cold and refused to play. There was a dance in Mey Hall with a very good Zep cover band. He came in, looked around like a wet geek, refused point blank to play and left smartish.

obiron
06-Jun-06, 18:54
didnt ken he was up this way. cool. my dad blethers about the bands that used to come up here. some right good ones.

Gleber2
06-Jun-06, 19:52
didnt ken he was up this way. cool. my dad blethers about the bands that used to come up here. some right good ones.

Gene Vincent, Hollies, Yardbirds, Mersybeats, Searchers, Billie J. Kramer and The Dakotas, Baron Knights, Alex Harvey, Applejacks, Heinz, Rockin Berries and all the others that I've forgotten. All top-twenty groups and excellent training supporting them all in the distant days of youth.

Dave Dee etc played their first pro gig in Thurso Town Hall with 20 drunk people as an audience and Rod Stewart never got much more in 1964. Noel Reading of Hendrix fame played up here twice with the Burnettes.

theweemidget
06-Jun-06, 20:03
cool so many bands and famous people came here even rod steward jings. Jimmy paige has aged bonnie he looks like he is 100 when he is actually 50's or 60's.

Chobbers seeing hendrix set a guitar on fire must ave been an experience lol no pun intended i remember watchin hendrix night on the bbc years ago and it was increadable he did so much with a guitar and amp and even he was a fantastic acoustic player couldn't care to much for his singin but he was streets a head and still is.

paige i don't think he is that good imo there are better players but hey everyone's a critic.

Violetsky
06-Jun-06, 21:23
Jimmy Paige was at the opening of the "refurbished" Harrow Harbour - he had his dinner in the Berriedale Arms Hotel - and he had scallops for a starter - I know - i served him and got his autograph - as for the dance in Mey Hall I dont recall it - or his non-performance was only about 12 at the time

Chobbersjnr
06-Jun-06, 21:37
Jimmy Paige was at the opening of the "refurbished" Harrow Harbour - he had his dinner in the Berriedale Arms Hotel - and he had scallops for a starter - I know - i served him and got his autograph - as for the dance in Mey Hall I dont recall it - or his non-performance was only about 12 at the time

absolute respect................................

& in terms of his caliber as a player IMO he went from the sublime to the rediculous

check out the solo in Achiles Last Stand.....................man that rocks

Gleber2
06-Jun-06, 22:37

The scallops were caught off the coast of Caithness, near Lybster and they were excellent. It was one of the stangest public performances I have ever played. Quite surreal! I remember you too, Violetsky. At least I remember a very young waitress.

theweemidget
06-Jun-06, 23:23
i take it this happened when rock and caithness was in it's prime

Gleber2
06-Jun-06, 23:51
i take it this happened when rock and caithness was in it's prime

1979 and rock was already disappearing.

Jeid
07-Jun-06, 02:58
Rock's never disappeared, it's just been on holiday!

Gleber2
07-Jun-06, 03:17
Rock's never disappeared, it's just been on holiday!
Barely survived the eighties and had little hope in the nineties and the holiday seems to be continuing in the new millenium. Rock's gone and the roll is stale!! Drum machines and computers rule with the pose and the search for stardom more important than the music. More and more technology to produce less and less music.
Well there is one consolation, it can't get much worse. What passes for original music these days is as original as cheese and junk groups like Oasis and the White Stripes are considered to be class acts.
I'm just a walking antique from the sixties and I have no doubt that my opinions will be met by a flood of protest from all the young duluded dudes who think they know. Never mind, I find much more to laugh at these days.:lol: [evil]

Sporran
07-Jun-06, 07:47
Gene Vincent, Hollies, Yardbirds, Mersybeats, Searchers, Billie J. Kramer and The Dakotas, Baron Knights, Alex Harvey, Applejacks, Heinz, Rockin Berries and all the others that I've forgotten. All top-twenty groups and excellent training supporting them all in the distant days of youth.

Dave Dee etc played their first pro gig in Thurso Town Hall with 20 drunk people as an audience and Rod Stewart never got much more in 1964. Noel Reading of Hendrix fame played up here twice with the Burnettes.

The Fortunes also performed in Caithness back in the 1960's. They were along the lines of the Searchers, and some of their biggest hits were 'Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again', 'You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine' and 'Storm In A Teacup'. My husband got talking to them when he was helping set up their equipment in 1979 or 1980. They were playing a gig for the US Forces in the Carribean at the time. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the event, and I was really disappointed about that! :(

DJ Jimmy Savile was also up in Caithness, in the late 60's or early 70's. It was when he did that radio show where he travelled all over the UK - 'Savile's Travels'.

Jeid
07-Jun-06, 11:04
Barely survived the eighties and had little hope in the nineties and the holiday seems to be continuing in the new millenium. Rock's gone and the roll is stale!! Drum machines and computers rule with the pose and the search for stardom more important than the music. More and more technology to produce less and less music.
Well there is one consolation, it can't get much worse. What passes for original music these days is as original as cheese and junk groups like Oasis and the White Stripes are considered to be class acts.
I'm just a walking antique from the sixties and I have no doubt that my opinions will be met by a flood of protest from all the young duluded dudes who think they know. Never mind, I find much more to laugh at these days.

In parts, I guess you're right. I think the Rock that you knew has died. Bands like Led Zep etc are unfortunately, a thing of the past. I think the late 80's had a few good rock bands(Guns N' Roses and Van Halen anyone?). The 90's I wouldn't call rock so much, but it gave birth to some successful Punk Rock bands.

As for the new millenium. There ain't much in the way of anything. Every band either starts with "The" in their name or they sound like their album has been recorded in a garage.

I think perhaps you just gave up Gleber. As you get older(much older in your case ;)) you get interested in different genres. Rock may no longer be your main cup of tea.

Gleber2
07-Jun-06, 11:48
I think perhaps you just gave up Gleber. As you get older(much older in your case ;)) you get interested in different genres. Rock may no longer be your main cup of tea.

Guns n Roses and Van Halen never managed to float my boat but they were a tad better than most at the time. Old I may be Jeid(and you will be too eventually) but I never gave up. Rock is still my cup of tea when it is good. I have given up on the music business not the business of music. I have always been interested in other genres.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jun-06, 14:32
I'm just a walking antique from the sixties and I have no doubt that my opinions will be met by a flood of protest from all the young duluded dudes who think they know. Never mind, I find much more to laugh at these days.:lol: [evil]

I tend to agree... all that... fashion.

Chobbersjnr
07-Jun-06, 14:38
I've just heard the first few tracks from Robin Trower's 60th B/day bash DVD & must say that the guy can still put it out........................& has released a new album

He has the old "hendrix copy cat" cloud hanging over him, he was known in britain with Procol Harum before hendrix was & in my opinion (on these 2 in question, well informed) he is more consistant & IMHO blows Hendrix to pieces

I've heard most of Hendrix's stuff & a lot of Trower's, I have covered both. All I can say it would be interesting to see what Hendrix would be doing now if he were still with us

Most of the music that gets me jumping these days is at least 25-30 years old & to be honest the modern recordings that do the same are of the "antique" musicians camp

roll on old age:Razz

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jun-06, 16:26
I've heard most of Hendrix's stuff & a lot of Trower's, I have covered both. All I can say it would be interesting to see what Hendrix would be doing now if he were still with us

Probably selling Pepsi, gold clubs with his name on them, or being dragged back out every once in a decade to play at the Albert Hall, where his customary string-chewin' guitar-burnin' exploits - done, now, in a safe-as-milk fashion - is welcomed by whoops of 'hurrah!' by the middle-aged, middle-class bourgios. OK, I reckon he'll still be dead.

theweemidget
07-Jun-06, 17:10
chobbers i agree with ya about modern music it doesn't cut it the older stuff is more likely to get ya jumpin. and gleber2 i sort of think rock died before 1980 cause that was when disco came in and took synths with it. I very rarely listen to music beyond 1980 because it doesn't have the same roll and studio technique started to change listen to any hendrix or paul kossoff and there was more of a "RAW" vibe. Some of the 60's rock was fantastic near 67-69 with the who, rollingstones, cream and of course hendrix, i suppose that was actually when rock was in it's prime.

I also happen to agree about the feeling lost in the music because technology is doing it all and people wanting to get famous quickly scheme. where as musicians had to go out and earn their trade. heck for a decent band to get famous now they'd have more chance of being on big brother than actually pulling it off because it is who you know not what you know. I find music to be too political shock horror some musician made front page for snorting coke so what "that gives a bad message to kids!" but kids are still going to buy their albums it ain't gonna make kids start doing that cause their idols do it. the kids make their own choices, it is alll publicity for famous people. Music is a laugh not to be taken "too" seriously

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jun-06, 17:39
chobbers i agree with ya about modern music it doesn't cut it the older stuff is more likely to get ya jumpin. and gleber2 i sort of think rock died before 1980 cause that was when disco came in and took synths with it. I very rarely listen to music beyond 1980 because it doesn't have the same roll and studio technique started to change listen to any hendrix or paul kossoff and there was more of a "RAW" vibe. Some of the 60's rock was fantastic near 67-69 with the who, rollingstones, cream and of course hendrix, i suppose that was actually when rock was in it's prime.

I also happen to agree about the feeling lost in the music because technology is doing it all and people wanting to get famous quickly scheme. where as musicians had to go out and earn their trade. heck for a decent band to get famous now they'd have more chance of being on big brother than actually pulling it off because it is who you know not what you know. I find music to be too political shock horror some musician made front page for snorting coke so what "that gives a bad message to kids!" but kids are still going to buy their albums it ain't gonna make kids start doing that cause their idols do it. the kids make their own choices, it is alll publicity for famous people. Music is a laugh not to be taken "too" seriously

I personally don't limit by taste in music to just Rock music, so don't go along with the notion that there hasn't been anything worthwhile released since 1980-onwards. It's both churlish and naive. But yes, the majority of quality rock 'n' roll hasn't progressed much since 1975. Definitely don't agree with midgetgem about "technology is doing it all." There's more guitar-based bands around now than there ever was. And granted, because of thus the quality control measure has evaporated. Sadly, midget is pretty much correct about the last couple of sentences. However, relating to the last sentence, I reckon Frank Zappa took his music too seriously. Wouldn't you agree midget?

theweemidget
07-Jun-06, 17:57
i don't limit my taste to rock either i like jazz blues etc but mainstream stuff is not really my cup of tea. Yes there are guitar bands now but what goes on in the studio and live is a totally different matter they might ave drum machines etc in the studio and when you see them live you have the raw sound but technology is in amps with built in effects things that is what i mean by technology i can't tell if they are playing a guitar or is it a flyin saucer lol i thought this convo was mainly about rock and i thought i would chime in my bad oops I was refering to rock.
Zappa not really heard much of his stuff but i think he did take is music seriously

Gleber2
07-Jun-06, 18:19
When did rock stop rocking is a good question. Discos contributed much to the problem in the early seventies but the final end came when music was devalued and punk was born. Twas born as a kick-back against the banal garbage that swept the market when glam took over from the music in the period following the death of Hendrix. Imo the highest music ever produced by a traditional rock line-up was the jazz of the Mahavishnu Orchestra which broke up in 1974. Everything thereafter was an anticlimax to those of us who were actively involved in the business at that time. I bought Jeff Beck's Wired and never bought another record after hearing the Sex Pistols. Music was deliberately devalued by the acceptance of punk when the ability to play and to even tune your instrument was no longer de rigeur for the aspiring popstar. I will not mention what was done to the art of singing at that time!!
A few years of this cacophonic simplistic excretia and the synth came into its own. The second death blow had been struck.
What a barren time the eighties were. Obviously there was still a measure of good music being played and recorded but by this time the media had complete control and were only interested in the money they could make by continuing to release pretend, soap-bar like music. The circle has indeed turned once more and, in rebuttal against the crap of the nineties, we have a resurgence of guitar based groups who seem to hark back to 1976 instead of 1966. What a woeful lack of real guitar talent visible in the Franz Ferdinands
and John Spencers of the business and how do you explain the reputation of Mr.White. In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. Simlar thing in music these days when those in charge of the business and those who write about it are lucky if they have as much as one eye(or half an ear by the sound of it).
I lived through it and watched it all happen when real musicians had to play cabaret or record jingles to make a living when there were five punk bands ready to play for nothing at every gig.
Forgive an old man his rant but he would rather rant than rave.

theweemidget
07-Jun-06, 20:57
gleber i see your point things are done differently now it is MTV's fault lol but seriously the word of mouth generation is sort of gone when hendrix came out word of mouth was the big 1 wow! who is this guy there has prob not been another wow factor since that. i bet you still live by the rule it's a long way to the top if you wanna rocknroll which is very true but when example un heard of people like britney spears come along and get a number 1 with out going and touring in the back of a "transit" van they aren't even experiencing it. I think it is a shame now as people on top of the pops can get away with "karaoke" or doing dodgy covers but all the teeny boppers dig it and another reason for decline is internet imo.