PDA

View Full Version : Compulsary Voting

piratelassie
06-May-10, 23:14
Does anyone else agree with me that voting should be compulary in a general election.

kwbrown111
06-May-10, 23:17
Yes i definetely agree with you and also think voting age should be reduced to 16

Andfield
06-May-10, 23:21
It would of course be helpful if all the people who want to vote were allowed to do so.
In several areas in England tonight they were turned away from polling stations.
One polling station even ran out of voting forms.:eek:
Drinking party in a brewery comes to mind [disgust]

RIR
06-May-10, 23:23
Does anyone else agree with me that voting should be compulary in a general election.

No.

Ian.

adi1
06-May-10, 23:25
Certainly not as Andfield as said we can't even set up a polling station up and running proper.
And what if you dont agree with any parties policies?

Blarney
06-May-10, 23:30
If you meant COMPULSORY, definitely not. The whole point of living in a democratic society is that you can choose whether to vote or not. How could you possibly enforce this??

Mystical Potato Head
06-May-10, 23:36

Well we live in a DEMOCRATIC country where you have the freedom to do as you wish,vote for a bunch of liars who promise you everything in their manifesto to get your vote and then adhere to very little of it....... or not vote.

theone
06-May-10, 23:40
No way.

You'd just get spoiled ballot papers from those who'd choose not to vote or even a 'protest' campaign voting a joke party in the same way rage against the machine got to number 1 or like those who write 'Jedi' as their religion.

Only those who care to vote should do so.

But 16 should be the age. If you can pay taxes and can die for your country you should get a vote.

Also, I think people should only be entitiled to a vote if they live here and have done so for at least 16 years. Tax dodgers and ex pats voting annoys me

Bobinovich
06-May-10, 23:52
Definately not, but I'd certainly be happy with a change to some form of electoral reform such as Proportional Representation.

pegasus
07-May-10, 01:45

no

peggy

aidipi
07-May-10, 02:04
I think voting should be compulsory with an option on the ballot paper to tick "none of the above"!!!

brandy
07-May-10, 07:23
or even be able to vote from your home via online voting. it would help everyone that is house bound, reduce the High numbers at poll stations and prob. increase voters as well. wish i could vote but as im just a lowly resident and not a citizen i cant.

Lavenderblue2
07-May-10, 07:38
Does anyone else agree with me that voting should be compulary in a general election.[/quote

[quote=Bobinovich;702879]Definately not, but I'd certainly be happy with a change to some form of electoral reform such as Proportional Representation.

I'm don't like the word 'compulsory' Piratelassie but the 61% turnout in the area in yesterday's General Election was a disgrace - what were folk thinking about. :confused

I certainly agree with you Bob, the UK, need to change to Proportional Representation...

Lavenderblue2
07-May-10, 07:39
or even be able to vote from your home via online voting. it would help everyone that is house bound, reduce the High numbers at poll stations and prob. increase voters as well. wish i could vote but as im just a lowly resident and not a citizen i cant.

I voted from my home Brandy - I have a Postal Vote.

Gronnuck
07-May-10, 07:44
Yes voting should be compulsory as it is in Australia. It's all about citizenship, responsibility, duty etc. etc. However I agree with aidipi there should be a "none of the above" alternative and this should be counted and publicised as part of the results.
As things are democracy in this country is a sham, the 'first past the post' system has too many faults.
We need a much more robust system to make MPs accountable and sackable.

RecQuery
07-May-10, 07:59
Australia has been mentioned already they have a fine if you don't vote. Other countries make it difficult to get passports etc if you don't vote.

I'm not sure about it being compulsory, I'm of the opinion that you should have to pass an exam on issues and basic reasoning and logic to be able to vote. I'd raise the age for everything, including voting to 21. Also I want proportional representation in everything and the ability to force an MPs recall and hold hold a party to its manifesto within reason.

Green_not_greed
07-May-10, 08:45
Compulsory voting? Perhaps only those who vote should be entitled to Government benefits, tax rebates, etc. That would put a different slant on things!

Voting at age 16 is a joke. Thats a "wee Eck" policy to try and win votes from those too impressionable to think for themselves. I'd raise the age to 40.

fred
07-May-10, 09:21
Compulsory voting? Perhaps only those who vote should be entitled to Government benefits, tax rebates, etc. That would put a different slant on things!

They could be made exempt from paying taxes as well.

I think the point of a democracy is that people have one day every four years when they have the right to choose for themselves. Every personal right or freedom taken from the people brings us one step closer to a dictatorship.

achingale
07-May-10, 10:14
I think it should be. In Australia it is compulsory. There is a problem though because maybe no one on the ballot paper is who you would want to vote for - in which case you could spoil the paper, but you have still voted. I have always believed that men and women were given the vote after so long of not having it by people who died for us to have that liberty. If for no other reason it should be done for them.

fred
07-May-10, 10:24
I think it should be. In Australia it is compulsory. There is a problem though because maybe no one on the ballot paper is who you would want to vote for - in which case you could spoil the paper, but you have still voted. I have always believed that men and women were given the vote after so long of not having it by people who died for us to have that liberty. If for no other reason it should be done for them.

We should be dictated to what we must do in the name of Liberty?

Kodiak
07-May-10, 11:19
Compulsary Voting is a BIG NO NO. It is everybody's right to vote, but it is also everybody's right Not to vote if they so wish. That is what you call a democracy.

John Little
07-May-10, 11:34
I do not agree with compulsory voting.

On the other hand if people who voted automatically received .5% reduction in income tax I think turnout would soar.

wicker8
07-May-10, 11:37
i have to say i agree with kodiak and john little

rob1
07-May-10, 11:42
With 55%-70% of the population voting and the news that many people were unable to vote for various reasons this time, would we cope with 100% of the population voting?

Personally I think people should turn up to the polling station and once there they can state that they do not wish to vote if that is their choice.

Kodiak
07-May-10, 12:08
Personally I think people should turn up to the polling station and once there they can state that they do not wish to vote if that is their choice.

You can do that already. All you need to do is to go to the polling station. Get your voting slip and then if you do not wish to vote write on the Ballot paper.....I am spoiling this paper as I do not think there is any party worth voting for.

All spoilt papers are counted and the reason why. If 100% people voted and all who thought that there was no worth voting for spoilt their ballot paper like this then there would be one heck of a lot of spoilt papers.

This would be counted and noted and just might the politicians sit up and take notice.

rob1
07-May-10, 12:26
You can do that already. All you need to do is to go to the polling station. Get your voting slip and then if you do not wish to vote write on the Ballot paper.....I am spoiling this paper as I do not think there is any party worth voting for.

All spoilt papers are counted and the reason why. If 100% people voted and all who thought that there was no worth voting for spoilt their ballot paper like this then there would be one heck of a lot of spoilt papers.

This would be counted and noted and just might the politicians sit up and take notice.

Evidently I did not make myself clear. What I ment was that it should be compulsory to turn up at the polling station on the day and once there you either take your ballot paper and vote or you tell the official you do not wish to vote. In the case of postal vote, either fill in the vote or you don't but you still return it.

Kodiak
07-May-10, 12:40
Evidently I did not make myself clear. What I ment was that it should be compulsory to turn up at the polling station on the day and once there you either take your ballot paper and vote or you tell the official you do not wish to vote. In the case of postal vote, either fill in the vote or you don't but you still return it.

In that case you do not want to live in a Democracy. In a Democracy it is your choice to vote or not to vote, if you do vote it is your choice to whom you wish to vote for.

rob1
07-May-10, 13:11
In that case you do not want to live in a Democracy. In a Democracy it is your choice to vote or not to vote, if you do vote it is your choice to whom you wish to vote for.

Of course I want to live in a democracy. In my method people still have a choice of whether they vote or not and for whom they vote for.#

You would end up with 100% turnout but with a % abstaining.

Kodiak
07-May-10, 13:28
Of course I want to live in a democracy. In my method people still have a choice of whether they vote or not and for whom they vote for.#

You would end up with 100% turnout but with a % abstaining.

As soon as you dictate to people that they have to Vote or attend a polling station to say they do not want to vote. Then that is Not a Democracy it is a Dictatorship.

What would be the point of getting 100% turnout if 49% never actually voted. Turnout is not everything, it is the votes that count and nothing else.

brandy
07-May-10, 13:40
what gets me is why are people turned away ? people who are willing able and have the right to vote should not be turned away.. even if it takes another day to hold the voting open.
we have no idea how these people turned away would have voted and it makes for an unfair vote that not everyone was able to vote.
well enough if you dont want to but by God if you are a voter then you have the right to vote.
the govt. needs to make allowances for this. open up more poll stations, make them stay open longer.. do what ever is needed so that everyone has a vote. you want a democracy then it has to be equal not a first come first serve

Kodiak
07-May-10, 13:47
what gets me is why are people turned away ? people who are willing able and have the right to vote should not be turned away.. even if it takes another day to hold the voting open.
we have no idea how these people turned away would have voted and it makes for an unfair vote that not everyone was able to vote.
well enough if you dont want to but by God if you are a voter then you have the right to vote.
the govt. needs to make allowances for this. open up more poll stations, make them stay open longer.. do what ever is needed so that everyone has a vote. you want a democracy then it has to be equal not a first come first serve

It is simple. It is the Law that all Voting must stop at 10pm. It is up to the Voter to arrive in plenty of time to vote. If anyone tries to vote after 10pm then they will be turned away.

The people who are complaing of not getting to vote were trying to vote after 10pm and as such they were turned away.

Simples !!

rob1
07-May-10, 14:24
As soon as you dictate to people that they have to Vote or attend a polling station to say they do not want to vote. Then that is Not a Democracy it is a Dictatorship.

Just because the government tells me that I have to do something does not make it a dictatorship. e.g to drive a car you need a licence. To get that licence you have to submit personal data and take two exams. That is what the government tell you to do. it does not make it a dictatorship.

Under your definition, Australia is a dictatorship! I think you need to learn what the difference between a dictatorship and a democracy is.

brandy
07-May-10, 15:34
but if people are standing in line queing for hours then get turned away its hardly their fault.

Hoida
07-May-10, 15:41
I don't agree with compulsory voting, it would never work as some people just don't want to commit to anyone party but will have plenty to say if and when the government put a foot wrong.

fred
07-May-10, 18:17

As new and expensive technology comes available the system which has worked well for decades suddenly becomes unable to cope with job it has always managed easily before.

porshiepoo
07-May-10, 20:31
So does anyone want to admit to NOT voting? ;)
Me! Had better things to do with my time that try to choose which person out of a bunch of numpties I wanted to make an even bigger mess of this country.
Have to admit I admire those of you who did manage to whittle it down though!

porshiepoo
07-May-10, 20:34
It is simple. It is the Law that all Voting must stop at 10pm. It is up to the Voter to arrive in plenty of time to vote. If anyone tries to vote after 10pm then they will be turned away.

The people who are complaing of not getting to vote were trying to vote after 10pm and as such they were turned away.

Simples !!

Aye, but a lot of those people had been queuing in plenty of time to get those votes in.
Just another example of a country falling apart at the seams - falling apart I tell you.

Seemples!!:)

upolian
07-May-10, 20:38
Well we live in a DEMOCRATIC country where you have the freedom to do as you wish,vote for a bunch of liars who promise you everything in their manifesto to get your vote and then adhere to very little of it.......

Exactly why i did not vote:)

upolian
07-May-10, 20:39
So does anyone want to admit to NOT voting? ;)
Me! Had better things to do with my time that try to choose which person out of a bunch of numpties I wanted to make an even bigger mess of this country.
Have to admit I admire those of you who did manage to whittle it down though!

I didn't.......

I've got constructive things to do with my time,i dont trust 1 word any of them say anyway.

George Brims
07-May-10, 20:48
Tax dodgers and ex pats voting annoys me
I'm an ex pat and I can't vote.

Kevin Milkins
07-May-10, 20:58
If I was made to vote, I would not know which lying swine to vote for,:eek: so what would be the point?:confused

Vistravi
07-May-10, 21:03
I think voting should be compulsory with an option on the ballot paper to tick "none of the above"!!!

That one works for me!

brandy
07-May-10, 21:05
i didnt vote but that is because i cant.. not allowed.. nadda.. but i would have if i could. one of my pet peeves though is that people that can vote but dont just because they cant be bothered to then go and complain about the state of the country and politics. if someone cant be bothered to actually contribute then they have no buisness sticking their nose in it later and airing their discontent. fair enough if they dont like the party or what it stands for then dont vote for them. but to just say, nahh i cant be bothered ive better things to do then yup that burns me up. this is the country that we call home and everything that happens in it either directly or indirectly affects us as a people. look at greece right now.. the riots in the streets and chaos.. that is all due to bad politics.
we could very easily end up in the same boat. its up to us as a people to make sure that the right people get into positions of authority to do what needs to be done, and if they can not do it.. get the right person whom can

northener
07-May-10, 23:35
Compulsory voting? No.

Compulsory turning up at a polling station just to vote that I'm not voting? Absolutely no bloody chance of me turning up for that.

It's up to the politicians to up their game and convince the potential electorate that it is worth turning out - not bully those who are exercising their democratic right to turn their back upon the available candidates.

series2A
08-May-10, 09:45
It should be made compulsory that politicians should be honest, humane and care about the people they represent, then people would take more interest in politics and we would'nt have this debate about focing people to vote for a bunch of hypocritcal, back stabbing, thieving, two faced, murdering, selfish, uncaring non tax paying jerk wads

upolian
08-May-10, 09:56
It should be made compulsory that politicians should be honest, humane and care about the people they represent, then people would take more interest in politics and we would'nt have this debate about focing people to vote for a bunch of hypocritcal, back stabbing, thieving, two faced, murdering, selfish, uncaring non tax paying jerk wads

Not forgetting the word 'parasites'

ducati
08-May-10, 11:13
The phrase was coined on the news this morning: “It is the voter's election, not the politician’s”

That sums it up for me :cool:

series2A
08-May-10, 11:24
Not forgetting the word 'parasites'

I think I missed quite a few actually ;)

porshiepoo
08-May-10, 19:43
i didnt vote but that is because i cant.. not allowed.. nadda.. but i would have if i could. one of my pet peeves though is that people that can vote but dont just because they cant be bothered to then go and complain about the state of the country and politics. if someone cant be bothered to actually contribute then they have no buisness sticking their nose in it later and airing their discontent. fair enough if they dont like the party or what it stands for then dont vote for them. but to just say, nahh i cant be bothered ive better things to do then yup that burns me up. this is the country that we call home and everything that happens in it either directly or indirectly affects us as a people. look at greece right now.. the riots in the streets and chaos.. that is all due to bad politics.
we could very easily end up in the same boat. its up to us as a people to make sure that the right people get into positions of authority to do what needs to be done, and if they can not do it.. get the right person whom can

Give me one "right" person to vote for and I'll happily do it.
I didn't vote but not because I couldn't be bothered. I didn't vote because I didn't want to vote for any of the lying eejits that we had to choose from, so I decided I had better things to do with my time.

I will however continue to voice my opinion on matters pertaining to this country as is my right to do so

A person doesn't waiver their right to voice opinion on democratic matters just because they don't vote (not yet anyway).
I know of loads of people who haven't voted for the first time in their lives, it's testament to the sad state of affairs of this country. Many of us do not trust any of the politicians and their values that are standing today and as such we won't be bullied into voting for one of them.

piratelassie
08-May-10, 23:57
I address this comment to those people who dont bother to vote. Members of extremist political parties will make sure they vote and these people thrive on voting apathy, that alone is surely enough reason to vote.

ywindythesecond
09-May-10, 00:39
[quote=porshiepoo;703507]Give me one "right" person to vote for and I'll happily do it.
I didn't vote but not because I couldn't be bothered. I didn't vote because I didn't want to vote for any of the lying eejits that we had to choose from, so I decided I had better things to do with my time.

I will however continue to voice my opinion on matters pertaining to this country as is my right to do so

A person doesn't waiver their right to voice opinion on democratic matters just because they don't vote (not yet anyway).
quote]

You don't waive the right to an opinion, but you do waive the right to complain if you don't like what you get because you have done nothing to influence it.

porshiepoo
09-May-10, 11:37
[quote=porshiepoo;703507]Give me one "right" person to vote for and I'll happily do it.

quote]

You don't waive the right to an opinion, but you do waive the right to complain if you don't like what you get because you have done nothing to influence it.

In your opinion.

joxville
09-May-10, 11:54
My vote was wasted, the present incumbent got back in with a majority of 18,000. :roll:

fred
09-May-10, 12:29

Nah.

It doesn't make a blind bit of difference who gets in, they've all been bought and paid for years ago. They'll all start wars, they'll all rob us blind to make the rich richer they're all going to screw up.

So when they screw up I reckon it's the ones who put them there by voting that have no right to complain not those stayed home polling day.

gleeber
09-May-10, 13:23
Nah.

It doesn't make a blind bit of difference who gets in, they've all been bought and paid for years ago. They'll all start wars, they'll all rob us blind to make the rich richer they're all going to screw up.

So when they screw up I reckon it's the ones who put them there by voting that have no right to complain not those stayed home polling day.
:roll: :lol:

Ive only ever voted at one general election. The last one. Ive had the vote since 1965 or it could be 1968 because I have a feeling in those days it was age 21 before you could vote.
I was challenged this time by an English friend whom I spend once a week with discussing the rights and wrongs of everything. I would highly recommend it.
Anyway I decided my friends argument was stronger than my own so I decided to vote.
Although I'm naturally left wing I dont see much difference between any of them and especially in Caithness because I knew that John Sinclair aka Thurso would be returned and unless I voted for him my vote wouldnt really count. Please dont ask me how I knew he would win but I did and I dont think there was anything mystical or spiritual about my insight. He's also a good man for the area.
I ended up voting labour because I thought Gordon Brown was the most immpressive politician during their debates. But not exclusively because of that but also because I do have natural inclination towards socialism.
My own experience of having to consider my vote very carefully, because I didnt want it completely wasted, would suggest to me that people should be made to vote in a democracy. At the very least to show willing and a remembrance that freedom doesnt come easy and needs to be protected at the very least from complacency.

Kenneth
09-May-10, 14:02
I think it should be

People who say they dont vote because politicians are all corrupt, idiots, never get anything done in my opinion are lazy and are taking a broad sweep at things. Now its true that some politicians are corrupt idiots who might spend a couple hundred quid on a duckhouse but id rather have the choice to vote for someone like that than live in Mogadishu. Some people in the world would, and do, die for fairness and democracy in their country.

Be thankful you have a vote - and use it.

Boozeburglar
09-May-10, 14:09
How can anyone be truly free if they are obliged to take part in a process they would rather not?

gleeber
09-May-10, 14:23
How can anyone be truly free if they are obliged to take part in a process they would rather not?
I'm not sure what being really free means because I think we are all tied up in our own personal chains.
I know the opposite of not being free and given the choice I know where I stand.
It may be a cliche but you've heard the line that with freedom comes a certain responsabilty. I think insisting our citizens consider their vote, which is the epitomy of freedom is the least to ask people who have come to take their freedom for granted.
Mind you I'm very open to challenge because this is a new idea the org has induced on me.

NickInTheNorth
09-May-10, 14:32
I would be happy to see a system which made voting compulsory for anyone that partakes of any service provided by the state. I would also expect that as part of that system every ballot paper would include a "non of the above" type option.

If anyone can prove that they do not, and never have used any state facility / service then I would be happy for them to be relieved of the onerous duty of attending the polls.

gleeber
09-May-10, 14:53
Im not even sure if non of the above should be included as an option to appease the democrats. That would encourage an attitude to not thinking too much about the policies and philosophies on offer. If at the end of the day if someone cant find common ground with at least one of the options, and realise how important it is to maintain government in a democracy, then they can put a big line right through their ballot paper.

NickInTheNorth
09-May-10, 14:57
Im not even sure if non of the above should be included as an option to appease the democrats. That would encourage an attitude to not thinking too much about the policies and philosophies on offer. If at the end of the day if someone cant find common ground with at least one of the options, and realise how important it is to maintain government in a democracy, then they can put a big line right through their ballot paper.

That works fine while we retain the antiquated paper and pencil system, but would very probably be impossible using a 21st century electoral system which must surely come in time, therefore I maintain a constructive none vote is required.

Maybe use the student unions usual culprit RON (re-open nominations)?

gleeber
09-May-10, 15:00
I'm not convinced but am open to discussion. Maybe we could have an org poll but It would need to be compulsory.

fred
09-May-10, 16:35

I would have happily gone out and voted for a party which said they would end the war in Afghanistan and not start any more wars.

I refuse to vote for a party which didn't or I would be responsible for the deaths of innocents.

You see with freedom comes responsibility, if you put them in power and they use that power to kill women and children then you must take your share of the guilt.

Chobbersjnr
09-May-10, 16:40
I would have happily gone out and voted for a party which said they would end the war in Afghanistan and not start any more wars.

I refuse to vote for a party which didn't or I would be responsible for the deaths of innocents.

You see with freedom comes responsibility, if you put them in power and they use that power to kill women and children then you must take your share of the guilt.
For a nutter you talk remarkable sense sometimes.:D

series2A
09-May-10, 17:36
I think it should be

People who say they dont vote because politicians are all corrupt, idiots, never get anything done in my opinion are lazy and are taking a broad sweep at things. Now its true that some politicians are corrupt idiots who might spend a couple hundred quid on a duckhouse but id rather have the choice to vote for someone like that than live in Mogadishu. Some people in the world would, and do, die for fairness and democracy in their country.

Be thankful you have a vote - and use it.

Yes your right it's much better to be able to vote for which dictator you want to be stolen from and sent to your death just to put the Tony blarhgs in the history books.
So one party says they will keep the troops fighting in your name and another tells you that they will pull the troops out. The latter party which you voted for wins and comes into power then decide not to pull the troops out and continue to allow our troops to die in your name.
So what do you do then....Nothing because you can't for another 5 years.
Thats just an example using the war to describe our lovely honest politicians and what they are really like and you know that.

the original value of the duck house was £300 but £1645.00 was claimed for it and this was paid by taxpayers to a multi millionaire on top of the £30000.00 claimed in one year JUST to keep his garden in order. Bet what he would say if you turned up to have wander around it even though you helped for it's upkeep.
yes we have a great democracy. I think you mean to say that we have a little more democracy than a few other countrys, we have the choice to choose the best of the worse every 5 years then thats it till next time.

pegasus
09-May-10, 22:10
For a nutter you talk remarkable sense sometimes.:D

Maybe the lunatics are running the asylum. Fred seems to have a good point.

piratelassie
09-May-10, 22:36
Remember folks, THE VOTE, use it or loose it.

Phill
09-May-10, 22:52
Compulsory voting, isn't that an oxymoron?

It could work though..........

.....at gun point maybe, with a few 'political' prisoners to reinforce the 'correct' party to vote for. Haven't our armed forces recently been involved in conflicts to try and bring democracy to similar 'democratic' regimes?

But hey, lets take some lessons from Mugabe!

NickInTheNorth
09-May-10, 23:00
Compulsory voting is not such a novel concept, Australia has had compulsory registration and attendance at a polling station for years for state and federal elections, the individual is permitted to spoil their ballot, but must attend the poll.

It seems a very small obligation for the freedom that goes with living in a democracy...

fred
09-May-10, 23:23
Compulsory voting is not such a novel concept, Australia has had compulsory registration and attendance at a polling station for years for state and federal elections, the individual is permitted to spoil their ballot, but must attend the poll.

It seems a very small obligation for the freedom that goes with living in a democracy...

So that isn't compulsory voting, that is compulsory dragging people to where they didn't want to be for no good reason.