PDA

View Full Version : Karate Kid Plays Some Mean Guitar

Suspects
06-Jun-06, 12:08
This is link to the guitar duel in the film "Crossroads" with Ralph Maccio and Steve Vai. I think Vai played all the guitar parts and I think the piece the "kid" plays to win is based on Pagannini ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBT8gEF6CY&search=crossroads%20guitar

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jun-06, 13:18
It's a typical Hollywood ending. The fact Maccio 'wins' replicating a Mozart piece shows he chose to ignore creativity, originality - and 'done' a cover. No doubt that will please the we-hate-covers-band-crowd on here. At least Vai tried to show him up by replicating him.

Anywho, when I were a nipper, most of my guitar-playing buddies decided to take up guitar after seeing this film. Me? I decided to embark on a life-long love of axe-man-ship after seeing Marty McFly invent rock 'n' roll at the Enchantment Under The Sea Dance back in 1955.

Suspects
06-Jun-06, 13:35
Still the movie is a bit of fun if you don't take it too seriously. As a nipper I went up the Thurso Delta to look for the Crossroads to sell my soul to the devil for music but all I found was Dowpy Dan sleeping at the salmon pool. I left him sleeping but maybe he had the lost song of Robert Johnson. A missed opportunity perhaps .......

cmack
06-Jun-06, 15:27
yeh steve vai played both guitar parts, and yeh it was a version of paganini's 5th caprice tht he won with, prety dam ace i think!

coastown
06-Jun-06, 15:33
he is a good actor liked him in the outsiders

Chobbersjnr
06-Jun-06, 15:49
Still the movie is a bit of fun if you don't take it too seriously. As a nipper I went up the Thurso Delta to look for the Crossroads to sell my soul to the devil for music but all I found was Dowpy Dan sleeping at the salmon pool. I left him sleeping but maybe he had the lost song of Robert Johnson. A missed opportunity perhaps .......

LMAO.....................LOL...................... ......mwahahahaha stop it bey

weel I have Jimi Hendrix's rather dodgy Monterey Pop set (in particular Wild Thing) at 6 years old seeing a guitar on fire on a stage was gaspworthy to say the least, I went mad for a while & then saw Crossroads & that got me into classical guitar (I wish I'd been more dedicated)

So Jimi Hendrix, Ry Cooder & Steve Vai are in the frame for my 1st outside major musical influence

Typical ending or not & musical cover thing aside it was basically instrumental in starting me off. & when did Paganini become Mozart????

Suspects
06-Jun-06, 16:14
Typical ending or not & musical cover thing aside it was basically instrumental in starting me off. & when did Paganini become Mozart????

Ach Chobbers, Pepsi was just utilising journalistic licence ;)

Chobbersjnr
06-Jun-06, 16:57
Ach Chobbers, Pepsi was just utilising journalistic licence ;)

lmao I know I ken him weel................

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jun-06, 16:31

He might have pointed you to the last dowp, though. In Caithness, Crossroads is a school, and Robert Johnson is a cattle dealer from Watten. Figures.

Suspects
08-Jun-06, 16:45
weel I have Jimi Hendrix's rather dodgy Monterey Pop set (in particular Wild Thing) at 6 years old seeing a guitar on fire on a stage was gaspworthy to say the least, I went mad for a while & then saw Crossroads & that got me into classical guitar (I wish I'd been more dedicated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJP3JamSbQc&search=jimi%20hendrix%20wild%20thing

Here ya go chobbers, Jimi at Monterey

theweemidget
09-Jun-06, 21:26
that video rocks i don't care for hendrix's singing too much but what he did with an electric and acousic was increadible. he was on fire that night lol. It is painful watching someone to that to an old fender strat :lol:

Chobbersjnr
09-Jun-06, 22:49
that video rocks i don't care for hendrix's singing too much but what he did with an electric and acousic was increadible. he was on fire that night lol. It is painful watching someone to that to an old fender strat :lol:

that particular guitar was probably straight off the shelf.....................let's not forget that was like..............................1967

theweemidget
10-Jun-06, 09:40
late 60's was good for rock. wait somehow i ain't convinced that guitar was off the shelf didn't roger mayer mod hendrix's guitars with preamps and stuff in the neck, so i've read any way. 1 of hendrix's amps turned up on ebay, it was the 1 that the new marshall jh100 is based on rich dickinson's amp this is really special for all you hendrix fans.
www.richdickinsonsdf.co.uk/hendrix_amp.htm (http://www.richdickinsonsdf.co.uk/hendrix_amp.htm)

tierce-de-picardie
12-Jun-06, 16:44
Yeah its 'eugenes trick bag' its a rather spectacular party piece i reckon the greatest skill was in Vai trying to play it wrong especially when it was his piece.

Althought the center part is based around paganinnis 5th caprice there is also some other interesting parts try the arpegios at the beggining ide love to see someone get the final note without snapping a string. its a fun warm up piece it used to be my party piece

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jun-06, 17:49
Yeah its 'eugenes trick bag' its a rather spectacular party piece i reckon the greatest skill was in Vai trying to play it wrong especially when it was his piece.

Althought the center part is based around paganinnis 5th caprice there is also some other interesting parts try the arpegios at the beggining ide love to see someone get the final note without snapping a string. its a fun warm up piece it used to be my party piece

Marty McFly RULES OK

tierce-de-picardie
15-Jun-06, 17:46
ooh by the way crossroads is on tonight if anyone wants to see the whole film its hard to get hold of so theres your oportunity

theweemidget
15-Jun-06, 17:49
what channel is it on

Chobbersjnr
15-Jun-06, 18:49
ITV4 methinks

obiron
15-Jun-06, 19:17
ooh by the way crossroads is on tonight if anyone wants to see the whole film its hard to get hold of so theres your oportunity

not saw that film for a few years. would watch it but its without a trace on the night.

cmack
16-Jun-06, 00:07
aw wish i read tht earlier, i was jst flickin through the channels, and found it on, nearly done tho, so i dont no if it is passed the guitar duel or not yet! dont think it is tho!
what is the film actualy about nyway??? i missed most of it and dont really no. i hav only ever seen the guitar duel.

tierce-de-picardie
16-Jun-06, 15:56
lol i guess the general story line is a little cheesymbut the music is good.

basically lightning (i think thats his name well karate kid) hes trainin at a classical skool but incorprates too much blues into it and the school didnt like it he finds the old geezer willy and wants to join him to meet at the crossroad where willy made the deal with the devil to be able to play mean harmonica be a reall blues man.

the devil is there and hes there for his end of the deal, willies soul. he goes on to explain 'i met a memphis man a few years back real good gutiar playa name a jack butler' (ha ha how sad) well karate kids agrees to go beat him and well he does kidna predictable otherwise it wud spoil the story if they didnt win

anyway ye lol nuff o my ramblin

theweemidget
16-Jun-06, 21:37
crossroads was a good film i recorded it last night and watched it earlier. it was kinda predictable but still worth watching eitherway.

Camra
24-Jun-06, 12:37
Did you hear about the Dyslexic guitarist who went to the crossroads and sold his soul to santa ?

slightly_funked
06-Jul-06, 14:19
yeh steve vai played both guitar parts, and yeh it was a version of paganini's 5th caprice tht he won with, prety dam ace i think!

mmm yup remember that piece prefer air by jason becker though