PDA

View Full Version : ebay

wicker8
05-May-10, 13:55
i recently bought an item from ebay it was never arriving so i contacted the seller who then told me that the postage is going to cost more because she did not realise it was the highland its 7.50 postage with more to add once she tells me how much more p+pi need to pay by pay pal its only a lamp anybody had anything simular happen to them

henleys10
05-May-10, 13:59
report her to ebay, if she did not list postage as higher for the highland then its up to her to pay the rest,
te same happened to me a few months back & seller had to pay extra postage

Bobinovich
05-May-10, 14:02
So long as they've not put on something along the lines of "Additional delivery to certain postcodes" then simply reply that it's not your problem and you're paying nothing else, and will happily raise a dispute with Ebay if they wish.

I bought a book a while ago which was £1 with free P&P IIRC. When it arrived it had over £2 of postage on it alone; the seller didn't have a leg to stand on and realised it - they should have weighted & measured and consulted Royal Mail's guides.

Also I recently sold some items and used the online guides to confirm postage prices. I was accurate to within a few pence, thus leaving myself nothing for the packaging, but thankfully it was all reused boxes & filling so had no problem with it.

Beat Bug
05-May-10, 14:03
Yes, I had the same when ordering a house name plaque from Wales (not through eBay) They said it would cost an extra £13, so we told them to post it to our daughter down south. A few days later it arrived, via Royal Mail, with no extra postage to pay.

We always check postage, and won't buy from anyone who charges a premium. This week we bought a few items on eBay from Yorkshire, and there was no extra postage to pay.

So I would suggest you contact the seller, and get them to send it through the post office.

chaz
05-May-10, 14:04
report her to ebay, if she did not list postage as higher for the highland then its up to her to pay the rest,
te same happened to me a few months back & seller had to pay extra postage

Agree its happened to me also,seller had to pay extra unless it was in the listing.

NickInTheNorth
05-May-10, 14:14
It's also often worth explaining a few simple facts to the seller, especially private sellers.

Royal Mail charges are the same wherever you happen to be in the UK. Using Royal Mail Standard Parcels service upto 20kg can be sent with royal mail for as little as £14.69

DO NOT USE RIP OFF PARCEL FARCE - they have a premium for anywhere north of the central belt, and it doubles the costs! (But strangely nothing extra to send from here southwards).

wicker8
05-May-10, 14:15
hi everyone thanks for your help just off to contact ebay now cheers

NickInTheNorth
05-May-10, 14:18
hi everyone thanks for your help just off to contact ebay now cheers

contact the seller again first, go to ebay only if you get no joy dealing direct

wicker8
05-May-10, 14:35
hi i contacted the seller this morning and she said she would get back to me i just checked my e mails and she wants another 7,49 on top of 7.50 she saysits because its the highlands but beside the item she sold me it also says 7.50 to my post code area maybe i am making a drama out of this but i did think it was unfair not sure what to do know

henleys10
05-May-10, 14:45
if it says 7.50 to your postcode just tell her she has to send the item for the agreed price or your reporting her
if no joy just report her

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 15:06
do you know how much it weighs packed?

ducati
05-May-10, 15:13
Quite a few ebay sellers say they won't send to highlands now.

I know why, from selling downsouth, the extra charges most courier firms charge to the Highlands are double if not more.:mad:

Postage is the same so smaller items are fine:D

wicker8
05-May-10, 15:13
do you know how much it weighs packed?no sorry i dont its a table lamp

NickInTheNorth
05-May-10, 15:20
Quite a few ebay sellers say they won't send to highlands now.

I know why, from selling downsouth, the extra charges most courier firms charge to the Highlands are double if not more.

Postage is the same so smaller items are fine

Don't use courier firms ;)

As I pointed out earlier fairly large items can be posted for reasonable cost with Royal Mail - from memory maximum size is about 1.5 metres x 1 metre x 1 metre and upto 20kg - that covers most items sold on ebay :cool:

Invisible
05-May-10, 15:50
This happens to me alot, I pay asap using paypal so they cant charge me more postage - a bit sneaky I know.

I saw one guitar firm wouldn't post to KW postcodes as "courier firm does not deliver to that area"

M R
05-May-10, 17:01
Alot of companys following suit, Eurocarparts !!! now want £17.95 surcharge no matter what the item. Guess i wont be using them again. Absolute rip off.

craigyboy
05-May-10, 17:24
Alot of companys following suit, Eurocarparts !!! now want £17.95 surcharge no matter what the item. Guess i wont be using them again. Absolute rip off.

people should try keeping buisness local to avoid all these postal charges ...

ducati
05-May-10, 20:04
Don't use courier firms ;)

As I pointed out earlier fairly large items can be posted for reasonable cost with Royal Mail - from memory maximum size is about 1.5 metres x 1 metre x 1 metre and upto 20kg - that covers most items sold on ebay :cool:

I know but a lot of stuff I did was really big. Set of 4x4 wheels and tyres for instance. Try getting that through yer letterbox :lol:

ducati
05-May-10, 20:08

Yep it is good if you can but if you have a need for a special item and can't get it locally-car parts is a good example.

joxville
05-May-10, 20:14
Ask the seller if £7.50 is her standard postage rate. If she answers yes, then ask how much profit has she made from postage that has cost less than £7.50, or does she refund the balance. Without her making it clear on the advert that postage to the Highlands is higher, she'll just have to take the hit this time.

Buttercup
05-May-10, 20:20

Oh to live in an ideal world! Then when we went into a local shop we'd be able to buy what we want, when we want. Unfortunately, in many local shops, it's a case of if we don't have it you'll just have to wait for an unidentifiable length of time or do without. As for avoiding the p&p charge, the "local surcharge" will counterbalance it. :roll:

wicker8
05-May-10, 21:46
Ask the seller if £7.50 is her standard postage rate. If she answers yes, then ask how much profit has she made from postage that has cost less than £7.50, or does she refund the balance. Without her making it clear on the advert that postage to the Highlands is higher, she'll just have to take the hit this time.thanks joxville cheers and many happy returns :Razz

onecalledk
05-May-10, 22:59
if she tries to charge you more then she is surely breaking the contract as it is not stated in her item for sale. Therefore you can refuse to pay it?

then contact paypal and report her. It does NOT cost that much more to send up here, I took delivery of some crystals from a wholesaler in england who told me he would send by post because the carriers charge too much to deliver to KW postcodes. Came by post no probs.....

the ebay thing works both ways, some sellers just dont seem to get this. If you dont state extra postage in your advert you cant do anything about it after the item has sold ........

K

Boozeburglar
06-May-10, 00:56
I just had a 60% increase in costs for an item I won due to having it sent to Inverness.

It is annoying but the seller clearly stated it in the listing that they use DHL and only DHL and it would be more for sending here. On that basis I cannot complain.

I would normally have it sent to London but it is needed now.

Because I usually drive up and down to London frequently I tend to deliver things from the nearest possible location or meet up with people if it is a valuable item or fragile item.

I can pay my fuel to London and back with a half dozen items. :)

onecalledk
06-May-10, 08:21
if anyone is on a website ordering stuff and the options for posting are highlands and islands or just scotland, if you choose scotland the postage sometimes drops! IF the website lets me I NEVER choose the highlands and islands option and the postage stays low and for some bizarre reason it just gets posted with no queries.

Not all websites will allow you to not choose highlands and islands when you input your postcode but if they do choose not to put this.

The highlands and islands option is a rip off....

K

secretsquirrel
06-May-10, 18:58
must be honest I will not buy from sellers to charge extra for postage to the Highlands as the last time I checked we where still attatched to the UK Mainland.

Kodiak
06-May-10, 19:35
i recently bought an item from ebay it was never arriving so i contacted the seller who then told me that the postage is going to cost more because she did not realise it was the highland its 7.50 postage with more to add once she tells me how much more p+pi need to pay by pay pal its only a lamp anybody had anything simular happen to them

The exact same thing happened to me in November Last year. I bid on and won 22" TFT Computer Monitor. I paid instantly and shortly after I received a message from the seller saying that since I lived in Caithness I would need to send him an Extra £15.00 for the Postage.

I wrote to the seller and I quoted what he had posted on the listing. P&P FREE to Mainland UK. I ponted out that Caithness was part of Mainland UK and since he advertised FREE Delivery to the Mainland UK I could see no reason why I should have to pay him and Extra £15.00 for delivery.

I then received a message from the seller where he said I had to pay this £15.00 or he would report me to eBay and he would also leave Negative Feedback. To which I replied that Sellers could no longer leave Negative Feedback and that there was no need to report me to eBay as I have just reported him to eBay for trying to scam Extra Money. Also that as far as I was concerned the auction was now void and he should refund me my money in FULL.

Within a Minute of sending this I received a Message from the seller where he said it was all a mistake and that he would post the monitor to me that afternoon. He also said he would include a free gift to go some way to apologise for any inconvienence I had been put to.

Two days later I received the Monitor along with a Free Plastic Dust Cover. When I left him feedback I left a Neutral along with the warning that he had tried to charge me for extra postage. He wa lucky I did not leave he a Negative.

kjandcrew
06-May-10, 19:36
Hi, - this makes me so cross, i asked a seller how much a set of 4x4 grizzley tyres would cost to postcode kw3 (UK MAILAND) and was told it was exactly the same as anywhere else UK MAINLAND (they were being delivered from Sheerness, Kent) when i questioned this they told me that it absolutely wouldnt cost them more!!! - then asked same question for some rollerblades and it doubled - I also bought a dvd player for 99p and same postage as stated - i always ask if its bulky or heavy