PDA

View Full Version : potty training advice!

the original ducky
05-Jun-06, 22:03
what age should parent start potty training? i have bought a potty for my little lassie but every time we try to put her on she screams and crys it breaks my heart to hear her like that its such a shame even though its for the best. she is 15 months is that to young or should i of started it before now? when did other parent start, any tips would be nice? thanks x

unicorn
05-Jun-06, 22:05
get a toy potty and a doll and make a big fuss of dolly going potty to start with. There is no point in forcing her if she is scared, make it fun with dolly.

pultneytooner
05-Jun-06, 22:05
what age should parent start potty training? i have bought a potty for my little lassie but every time we try to put her on she screams and crys it breaks my heart to hear her like that its such a shame even though its for the best. she is 15 months is that to young or should i of started it before now? when did other parent start, any tips would be nice? thanks x
I always heard that around two was a better age.

Billy Boy
05-Jun-06, 22:07
i started my daughter on the potty at 12 months and more often than not it ended up on her head ( empty thank goodness):roll: she wasnt keen on it atall, so i bought a trainer seat for the toilet and she used that fine. she then started to use the potty on an odd occasion. all kids are different and there are no set ages to start them, as with everything they do it in their own sweet time.:confused

Tugmistress
05-Jun-06, 22:08
i waited until my daughter started stripping her nappy off, and sitting her on the potty then, saying, well if you are not wearing your nappy then sit there a minute and see what happens. we had the odd accident every now and then but what child doesn't, it worked well with mine :D

HTH

angela5
05-Jun-06, 22:09
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/parenting_tips/potty_training/index.html

Hope this link works.:D

mccaugm
05-Jun-06, 22:11
I have 3 children and found that around 2 was the best time to start...my youngest is 19 months and I am only just starting to think about it now....(eldest children are 12 & 15). Confess that potty training ranks as the worst kiddie stage...although teenage traumas come a close second....

girnigoe
05-Jun-06, 22:11
The health visitors tell you not to even think about it until they are at LEAST two. Even later preferably.

In my experience its definetly best to leave it well alone and they will let you know when they are ready.

My daughter would not go anywhere near the potty with her nappy off but would happily sit on it with one on. One morning she just got up and told me she needed to wee. She sat on it like a little lady (minus the nappy) and we never looked back!!

JimH
05-Jun-06, 22:17
Despite all the good advice you hear, and no disrespect is intended to any of the good org'ers. When the child is ready - you will find it easy. Try it too soon and you will end up in a battle of wills. and as you have found out, if your lassie is upset - then so are you. Don't worry - it will happen.

the original ducky
05-Jun-06, 22:20
thanks everyone its good to hear some advice. i was thinking that it was to early but just wanted to see if she was ready or not it doesnt look like she is. i have dried to make it fun using a doll and taking her to the bathroom ect even bought a flushing potty{out of argos} but i am having no luck. shes more happy to play with it instead. well i think that i will leave her for a while as shes still little bless her she thinks its more for her baby {doll} thanks xx

Billy Boy
05-Jun-06, 22:23
each child is different and there are no hard and fast rules as to when a child is ready, my daughter was out of nappies day and night by the age of 2 and we never had 1 wet bed from her, yet my sisters kids were 2 and one over 2 before they would even try the potty, as jimh said they will do it when they are good and ready and no before;)

krieve
05-Jun-06, 22:37
I had no bother with my oldest but my youngest was a nightmare!! My oldest took a couple of days and he had it sussed my youngest was about a 2 months, neither of them would go on the potty they went straight to the toilet. You will know when she is ready and don't get angry when accidents happen .

garycs
05-Jun-06, 22:54
Both of our kids were about 2-2 1/2 years old and it clicked within a week. I know of parents who tried with their kids much younger but it wasn't until they were well over 2 years old that they were "accident free", so I'd say save yourself the stress (which kids always pickup on), the extra laundry and ignore the playgroup bragging "little Jimmy was out of nappies as soon as he started crawling" :)

One more thing, when you do start, dress your child in clothes they can pull up and down easily by themselves.

squidge
06-Jun-06, 09:49
My oldest was dry during hte day at 15 months - i brought his new baby brother home and made a huge fuss of him when he weed on the potty and bingo dry and out of nappies at 15 months.

My middle child was a nightmare - sit on the potty for ages then get up and wee on the floor. I was at my wits end by the time he was almost three then my childminder sorted it out in the summer by getting him to wee in the grid in the garden and we were away. Sounds terrible doesnt it but it worked.

My youngest one was 2 and i did the " do a wee wee on the potty and you can have a smartie" it worked well.

My mum believes you should have a potty kicking around the house from the baby being born and as soon as you can you should sit the baby on the potty after a feed - i dont really go with that but she swears by it. The only other thing that is worth thinking about are the pull ups - they seem to keep baby very dry and that means they arent uncomfortable when they wet them. Trainer pants arent very fashionable but for around the house they work well - terry towel on the inside and plastic on the outside they feel yukky when they are wet and the theory is that baby will soon not want to wet as its not nice.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jun-06, 15:22
Agree,just take yer time and the wee one will soon go wi' the flow.

A wee story.Masel' and obiron go into oor youngests bedroom,he's standing up in the cot.Wi' the FULL nappy in his hand,walls behind him covered,bedsheets covered,himself covered from head to toe.

Know what,widnae change ma kids...being a parent is cool!!!!:cool: :cool:

Billy Boy
06-Jun-06, 15:28
well said cedric,it's the best job in the world is parenthood:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jun-06, 15:33
well said cedric,it's the best job in the world is parenthood:D

Thats what me and the wife got with trying oot the new Heinz spicy baby food.Couldnae say nothin' as i've seen masel' after a dodgy curry.:lol:

jay
06-Jun-06, 15:50
when you are ready I would suggest you plan a week when you don't need to go anywhere so that you can stay in the house until the worst is over- nothing worse than having to resort to nappies just when they are getting the hang of it or telling them they need to hang on when they do start asking

dunderheed
07-Jun-06, 08:46
a wee suggestion that worked for me with our 2 ducky, was to start when the weather is nice that way you can have your kid running around (or lying on a mat ) without a nappy on . we found this easier than trying to wheech down trousers and pants at short notice. there is also a book on the do's and don'ts of potty training in the thurso library that i noticed yesterday when i was in changing my books.