PDA

View Full Version : Wickinternational

CHESTER
04-May-04, 00:21
I was lucky to have flown from Wick to Aberdeen last week with Eastern Airways . Only one problem ,there was only 4 passengers on the flight ,what a waste .WHAT'S YOU RE THOUGHT'S on using the air links

Anonymous
04-May-04, 09:34
I was hoping to use the service once before, however the bank refused me the cash telling me mortgages are for buying houses and not flights...

badger
04-May-04, 10:25
Quite right Niall. I approach budget airlines from time to time, particularly EasyJet, pleading for flights to Wick but it needs a bit more pressure from HIAL or someone I guess. Who can afford the current flights unless on big business expenses? I'm sure there would be massive demand for cheap flights if someone just had the courage to start. It's just crazy that it can be quicker to drive south than to fly from Inverness and the trains are sooooo slow. :~(

CHESTER
04-May-04, 11:25
Well i was surprised ,the flight was £55.50 single one way if booked a few days before.The train was £47.80 with a change in Inversneekie and would take close to 6 hours. The flight took 30 minutes YES 30 minutes .When the Highlands steps into the 21 century and the price is right ,God Country can be a great place to live. But ? there's alway a BUT thing's went Wrong trying to get a quick flight back that day .
1 .Sorry No cheap flight's back ,because it's was not prebooked
2. That's £135.00 for a single back home ,the flight leaves in 30 minutes and by the way you have missed the check in Sorry?
3 BUS --NO DIRECT BUS - from Aberdeen to Wick ,as road works will mean that you will miss the connection in Inverness by 6.00minutes.
4TRAIN.----NO DIRECT TRAIN -The train will get you into Inverness 10.00minutes before the bus leaves ,but the train North left 5 minutes before the train from Aberdeen arrives .
5. If you want to get the bus North you will have to book ,to make sure of a seat and pick up the tickets from the bus station
Well i did get home that day ,thanks to the wife and the credit card and some fancy phone call .I just wish it was as easy and as quick as flying ,30 minutes to Aberdeen (maybe one day we'll fly across the Atlantic ) ??????????????

zappster
04-May-04, 13:51
I have been travelling up & down to Aberdeen monthly for 14 years ( :( )& the service offered (if you can call it a service)by Eastern airways is the worst ever.They seem to pick & choose their pricing depending on what mood the lassie at the other end of the phone is in!& are not pleasant to deal with regarding disputes.
Gill air were the greatest .Low prices,Friendly & your tickets were valid for a year if you missed the flight(collect 4 tickets & you got a free ticket!!)(& a free draw on the flight for a bottle o whiskey!!)
Alas Gill air are no longer with us thanks to the events of 9-11.

I really do hope that Eastern lose the contract & a more sensible company comes into the fold that can see the blatantly obvious...............
LOWER THE PRICES & THE FLIGHTS WILL BE FULL EVERY TIME!!
'till then i'll joost have to sit drownk on the train /bus/pack mule whatever other method

& as for bus/train timetables North thats just one big joke(unfortunately on US!!)

Elena
04-May-04, 15:05
I agree with all of the above but also: give us EARLY flights OUT of Wick and LATE flights INTO Wick, so that we can connect to more flights onward from Aberdeen or Edinburgh. I would be willing to pay extra for the flight if it saved me the cost of an overnight stay enroute to my international destination, expecially in the middle of the winter - I have twice nearly missed my flights in February from Scottish airports because of the A9 beeing closed due to snow, luckily the train was still running ....

zappster
04-May-04, 17:06
OH aye ah forgot that was another great thing about Gill air 0730 flight to Aberdeen
2030 return to Wick magic dem wer de days..
GILL AIR ROCKED :D
EASTERN AIR DIZNA ROCK [disgust]

Riffman
05-May-04, 11:24
I agree, get us some decent flights at proper times, (early morning late evening), and cheap seats and i will be flying.

How about this:

Option 1: Fly Wick to Aberdeen with Eastern Airways, 30mins flight cold coffee, lost luggage etc.... Cost £135.00

Option 2: Far North Aviation, For example: one way flight from Wick to Aberdeen, you hire the plane for a 45 min lesson, and it costs you £78.75 inc VAT, this includes all baggage handling, free coffee, etc. And you get to fly the plane!!

Which option sounds better? I'll let you decide.

Riff

Mr P Cannop
05-May-04, 13:26
Option 2: Far North Aviation, For example: one way flight from Wick to Aberdeen, you hire the plane for a 45 min lesson, and it costs you £78.75 inc VAT, this includes all baggage handling, free coffee, etc. And you get to fly the plane!!

sounds better

Kenn
05-May-04, 22:18
Have been pressing for cheaper flights to Wick for some years.No matter who I have contacted I have been told there is not sufficient demand.PHOOEY! Given the right price from Edinburgh/Glasgow to Wick I know which plane I would be taking and it would not be the one I currently use to Inverness.
I recently had to get to Cornwall in a hurry, surprise,surprise with British Airways no longer responsible for the flights, the price had halved.Coming back from Plymouth it was a pleasure to ralk to people who were saying that since the new operator had taken over and reduced the cost it was possible to fly to Gatwick to conect with international flights,spent a day in London to watch a match,visit the theatre go sightseeing etc.and all flights are now running at 2/3 rd s capacity or fully booked.
Come on..there is a demand for flights to small regional airports..Highland Council stop sitting on your assets and realise them instead.

Donnie
06-May-04, 15:01
Maybe you should get Paulardros to start an e-petition?