PDA

View Full Version : closing shops before they started

bluemafia
04-May-10, 13:59
what is it with this town! haldanes is barely opened and already people are saying - it won't last a year - people listen to rumours and they can be harmful,so,come on let's give them a chance or shall we lose another shop from the town centre!

Kodiak
04-May-10, 14:07
You never know ASDA might want to take it over then that would make a lot of prople happy.:)

telfordstar
04-May-10, 14:23
what is it with this town! haldanes is barely opened and already people are saying - it won't last a year - people listen to rumours and they can be harmful,so,come on let's give them a chance or shall we lose another shop from the town centre!

Wouldn't say it was a rumour it's peoples opinions off the place. I suppose staffs hours cut back to minimum hasn't helped. In my own opinion it's a pretty crap shop

scorrie
04-May-10, 14:39

It is hardly a rumour, just the plain facts. The first bad sign I saw was milk being reduced in price as it was near to the date. With such a staple item, that is worrying. I was in at the back of five 'o'clock on Saturday and there were ZERO checkouts in operation, with the lassie in the Kiosk being the only person serving. I asked the lassie if it had been a busy day and she replied with a firm no. If they can't get punters in on a Saturday, there is little hope of ever being busy. Most people seem unable to see past Tesco and I always said that Tesco would kill the town centre. Shopping cannot expand to sustain extra shops, something has to give somewhere along the line. The idea that Tesco could actually HELP the town centre shops was one I laughed loudly at at the time, it's a bit less funny now to see the reality. Overall, Haldanes is a downgrade on Somerfield in my eyes and also in the eyes of many I have spoken to. It is a convenience store only, not a place for a weekly shop and I would be worried if it were my store.

trix
04-May-10, 17:21
In my own opinion it's a pretty crap shop

i totally agree, it is crap. i went in lookin for bananas for a loaf, wholemeal pitta bried for chicken kebabs an goats milk....

came oot empty handed [evil]

went til 'e coap instead an now 'ats far i go for ma messages.

its usually heavin by 'e wie :D

though i did once get a nice bottle o' reid fie yon haldanes, it wis rio...somethin. a slight fizz, though no much. wis weel impressed.

never tasted anythin lek'ed before.

bluemafia
04-May-10, 17:54
it's quite obvious to me that you have never made banana loaf before as you need overripe bananas and as far as i know,they would not be on sale,as they would not be of good quality

trix
04-May-10, 17:59
it's quite obvious to me that you have never made banana loaf before as you need overripe bananas and as far as i know,they would not be on sale,as they would not be of good quality

there isna any need til be cheeky....!

if ye must ken, i make banana loaf ivry now an' again, amongst ither things. last week i put blue berries an cranberries in'ed....and it wis very guid :Razz

its ma grany's 70th birthday on seturday an' i wanted til buy 'e bananas last week so they wisna so ripe....so i could bake her a loaf!!!

what is yer problem?? i think 'e shop is CRAP - so, bite me.....

ShelleyCowie
04-May-10, 18:11
there isna any need til be cheeky....!

if ye must ken, i make banana loaf ivry now an' again, amongst ither things. last week i put blue berries an cranberries in'ed....and it wis very guid :Razz

its ma grany's 70th birthday on seturday an' i wanted til buy 'e bananas last week so they wisna so ripe....so i could bake her a loaf!!!

what is yer problem?? i think 'e shop is CRAP - so, bite me.....

It is a bit poop in there aint it! The rare times i have been in i came out empty handed. Me and my OH were through in wick and before we caught the bus back home decided to go in and get some things that we were low on, personally thought the prices didnt warrant buying it there! Can buy it the same price at ma local shop round the corner.

Never seen a soul on the way round either apart from 1 staff.

telfordstar
04-May-10, 21:32

Chee whizz someone rattled your cage eh!!!

secretsquirrel
06-May-10, 18:56
I can only go on personal experience but other than a lack of staff at the checkouts I have found this shop to be very good. Many of its goods are equal in price and sometimes cheaper than Tesco's.

As to selling out items you only have to look at the areas in Tesco's to see that they also sell out milk. I have also noticed that depending upon the time you go to Tesco many times their shelfs are empty of goods as well.

The sandwiches they sell are the best in Wick.

I also would hope that people who write on the org, actually type in English so that others can understand what they are saying.

Also applies to those that use "text messaging" short hand.

redeyedtreefrog
06-May-10, 19:05
Haldanes is a bit crap but they have nice cookies and sausage rolls for lunch. I also hear their beefy bake is excellent.

ShelleyCowie
06-May-10, 20:43
I also would hope that people who write on the org, actually type in English so that others can understand what they are saying.

What has that got to do with the price of cheese? Honestly! :roll:

People can type whatever way they want to. Dont see anythin in the rules against it.

"Bain, stop talking"

"Yes sir Secret squirrel!"

[lol]

telfordstar
06-May-10, 20:46
What has that got to do with the price of cheese? Honestly! :roll:

People can type whatever way they want to. Dont see anythin in the rules against it.

"Bain, stop talking"

"Yes sir Secret squirrel!"

[lol]

Here here Shelley well said, next they will be back picing up on speling lol,

Bobbin
06-May-10, 21:27
I hated it at first but now I quite like shopping there. The offers they do have on are really good. Liking it a bit more each time I go.

Crackeday
07-May-10, 07:15

if you dont like a Week or caithness accent then what are you doing up here?:roll:

Mrs Bucket
07-May-10, 09:00
Personally I dont like Haldanes but it is good to have the choice so I will take a few things now and again also pick and choose from the coopie and tesco and good owld liddle. You carry on the good work Trix brilliant but I would say lofe not loaf just a thought not a criricism just an observation

Even Chance
07-May-10, 09:39

Fits is english gaff yer on aboot ere hen? I divna ken fit ed is masel lek. Trix is choost e' best linguist aboot e' org and ats a fact!

Kevin Milkins
07-May-10, 10:31
[quote=secretsquirrel;702700]
/[quote]

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that "while in Rome.............";)

Crackeday
07-May-10, 11:30
I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that "while in Rome.............";)And theres always welsh isnt there kevin?;)

riggerboy
07-May-10, 11:33
so we have went from haldanes to the way we speak to slagging each other of over bananna loaf to blaming the welsh for something or other, to having a holiday in rome

my christ i love the org at times

Kevin Milkins
07-May-10, 12:39
so we have went from haldanes to the way we speak to slagging each other of over bananna loaf to blaming the welsh for something or other, to having a holiday in rome

That's a good point, riggerboy, I apologise for a change in direction of the thread.

So, back on track, I have never been in the store, but Mrs M bought a bottle of milk from their and although it was 4 days to its sell by date , it was off.:confused

They did apologise and replace it without question, however it did represent a slight inconvenience, having no cup of tea or cereals before going to work [disgust], but no one died as a result.:D

katarina
07-May-10, 13:14
Why on earth can't asda take over a shop that's already there with a car park on the doorstep? Why HAVE they to build from scratch? Ok, so it might not be as big as they would like, but if they want to get a foot in the door, surely little is better than nothing at all? Don't understand it at all.

riggerboy
07-May-10, 13:50
Why on earth can't asda take over a shop that's already there with a car park on the doorstep? Why HAVE they to build from scratch? Ok, so it might not be as big as they would like, but if they want to get a foot in the door, surely little is better than nothing at all? Don't understand it at all.

simples asda dont want it,

they have certian critera and haldanes permises dont cut it

Mrs Bucket
07-May-10, 18:50

Isnt it wonderfully entertaining. I love it love it love it

northener
07-May-10, 23:47
simples asda dont want it,

they have certian critera and haldanes permises dont cut it

Yup, not worth the effort for someone like Asda IMO, the logistics wouldn't stack up for such a small outlet.

But.....if they had a larger store - say in Thurso, then they'd be keener to take on a smaller outlet in Wick - which is exactly what Tescos did in Thurso.

If only we had an Asda...all would be well in Caithness.....;)

Blarney
08-May-10, 01:02
Here here Shelley well said, next they will be back picing up on speling lol, Ok if you insist. Hear, hear Shelley well said, next they will be back picking up on spelling lol

Metalattakk
08-May-10, 01:42
Yup, not worth the effort for someone like Asda IMO, the logistics wouldn't stack up for such a small outlet.

But.....if they had a larger store - say in Thurso, then they'd be keener to take on a smaller outlet in Wick - which is exactly what Tescos did in Thurso.

Ah well, once the Miller Academy is closed down, there'll be a prime location just waiting for an Asda takeover bid.

I expect most people would be happy with this? Yes? No?

unicorn
08-May-10, 01:45
What on earth are you talking about Mettal..............The academy closed I thinketh not :roll:

Metalattakk
08-May-10, 02:39
Well, one of them has to go, unicorn. Which one would you suggest? Miller seems to be the most obvious candidate.

unicorn
08-May-10, 02:42
Nay way Miller becomes a supermarket.............. nay chance :eek:

ducati
08-May-10, 06:46

Ah, the dream, the dream....... and once Asda arrive we can all buy stuff cheap in a really big supermarket. :lol:

Amy-Winehouse
08-May-10, 08:19
Well, one of them has to go, unicorn. Which one would you suggest? Miller seems to be the most obvious candidate.

Why is Thurso losing a school ? Are they getting a new one ? Or have I missed something in the news lately ?

I dont think your getting an Asda up there, the council dont seemto want it for some reason ?

Metalattakk
08-May-10, 12:58
Perhaps the chairman of the Education Culture and Sport Committee could explain further.

unicorn
08-May-10, 13:17
If services are needing to be cut so desperately that we need to lose a school then maybe the council should be looking in house to see where cuts can be made. This all seems rather sneaky and back door.

gollach
08-May-10, 16:37
This rumour of Miller closure has been doing the rounds in Thurso for weeks. No idea where it came from.

telfordstar
08-May-10, 19:15
This rumour of Miller closure has been doing the rounds in Thurso for weeks. No idea where it came from.

I was probably due to the article in the groat about to may schools up here and that miller was on the list for needing alot of costly repairs done and therefore folk have automatically condemmed it.

northener
08-May-10, 22:50
I believe Asda are in negotiations to buy the Miller Academy site.

Crackeday
09-May-10, 07:27
Perhaps the chairman of the Education Culture and Sport Committee could explain further.
Youve got 2 hopes of that happening! Bob hope and..................;)

ducati
09-May-10, 07:45
I believe Asda are in negotiations to buy the Miller Academy site.

I'm interested in knowing next weeks lottory numbers, the make up of the next Cabinet and whether there is life on Mars, Can you help? :Razz

Vistravi
09-May-10, 12:52
Isnt it wonderfully entertaining. I love it love it love it

The org can be so randam at times, its brilliant :)

Vistravi
09-May-10, 12:56

I completly disagree. Miller is the best primary school. The school really helped my autistic brother by far more than castletown primary ever did when he went there as we lived in castletown. If i had to choose to put my child to one of the thurso schools it would always be miller regardless of where i lived in thurso.

Metalattakk
09-May-10, 18:22
I completly disagree. Miller is the best primary school. The school really helped my autistic brother by far more than castletown primary ever did when he went there as we lived in castletown. If i had to choose to put my child to one of the thurso schools it would always be miller regardless of where i lived in thurso.

Yeah maybe, but the quality of the school won't be a criteria for which one would be best to close. The profitability (to the Council) of the site of the school will be what seals the deal.

And let's face it, the ground that Miller occupies will be far more profitable to the Council than either of the other two sites.

gollach
10-May-10, 17:04
I completly disagree. Miller is the best primary school.

I think that the inspectors might disagree with you

http://www.hmie.gov.uk/ViewEstablishment.aspx?id=8005&type=2

Vistravi
10-May-10, 17:30
I think that the inspectors might disagree with you

http://www.hmie.gov.uk/ViewEstablishment.aspx?id=8005&type=2

Aye true but as you read each follow through you can see that the school improved on what they were doing wrong. It's the classic case of getting too used to doing things one way and needing prompted to do things better. Also the headship at the time changed which accounts to it as well. Regardless of the reports i would still put my child to miller if it was a thurso one the choice was between.

If it is not a good school then why do so many parents prefer that they're kids go to it instead of a school nearer them?

Amy-Winehouse
10-May-10, 17:33
Aye true but as you read each follow through you can see that the school improved on what they were doing wrong. It's the classic case of getting too used to doing things one way and needing prompted to do things better. Also the headship at the time changed which accounts to it as well. Regardless of the reports i would still put my child to miller if it was a thurso one the choice was between.

If it is not a good school then why do so many parents prefer that they're kids go to it instead of a school nearer them?

I thought it was about shops, not schools .

trix
10-May-10, 17:56
I thought it was about shops, not schools .

shops....schools....banana loff...anythin goes really :lol: