PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Fussy Toddler....

Cupcake
03-May-10, 21:35
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this... I have a very, very fussy toddler when it comes to dinner times... Im wondering if any other mums and dads have any suggestions to what i can do please? She does'nt seem to like the texture of many things ive tried, just prefers yogurts and smooth things like that, mashed tatties from time to time and some carbonara but not much else.... Been trying loads for ages now and getting nowhere!! :~(

Stefan
03-May-10, 21:43
Sometimes it helps to simple say: "Ok, but there is nothing else...".
Otherwise she might just only eat her favourites and ends up not getting the nutrition she needs.
Remember that boy who would eat nothing else but yoghurt (went through the media back and forth) ? He was 6 I think and had to have special drinks so that his health wasn't damaged. Bit extreme, but the parents just gave him what he decided he liked, which was smooth things first, then yoghurt, nothing else.

All kids go through stages where they don't like some things and then suddenly they do like them and don't like something else, but generally they should eat most of what you give them.

ShelleyCowie
03-May-10, 21:44
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this... I have a very, very fussy toddler when it comes to dinner times... Im wondering if any other mums and dads have any suggestions to what i can do please? She does'nt seem to like the texture of many things ive tried, just prefers yogurts and smooth things like that, mashed tatties from time to time and some carbonara but not much else.... Been trying loads for ages now and getting nowhere!! :~(

What age is she? There isnt much i can say to help because im in the same situation with my 18 month old.

The good thing is, kids will not starve themselves. If they are hungry enough they will eat something. My persistance with my son is still not wearing him down but it will eventually!

I think i introduced him to foods far too late! I was told to leave it because he didnt need it. When i did introduce them he wasnt bothered, just wanted milk. Will eat yoghurts and thats about it. Although he loves fruit and veg when it suits him.

If you get anywhere let me know, i dont know what else to try really :confused

Does your daughter like to touch food? Seen on a program last week about a child who was hyper-sensitive to the textures and tastes of foods so would not touch many foods unless they were smooth textured.

majic
03-May-10, 21:45
wasn't there a child with a similar thing on embarrassing illness (children )the other day? didn't pay that much attention as mine are all grown up and cant say i had that prob :)maybe someone else sore it?

ShelleyCowie
03-May-10, 21:46
wasn't there a child with a similar thing on embarrassing illness (children )the other day? didn't pay that much attention as mine are all grown up and cant say i had that prob :)maybe someone else sore it?

Great minds think alike! Thats what i just said on my post! Totally clicked a light on in my head when i saw i though! My son wont eat much at all. But i think its just him trying to score some chocolate! :roll:

Cupcake
03-May-10, 21:52
What age is she? There isnt much i can say to help because im in the same situation with my 18 month old.

The good thing is, kids will not starve themselves. If they are hungry enough they will eat something. My persistance with my son is still not wearing him down but it will eventually!

I think i introduced him to foods far too late! I was told to leave it because he didnt need it. When i did introduce them he wasnt bothered, just wanted milk. Will eat yoghurts and thats about it. Although he loves fruit and veg when it suits him.

If you get anywhere let me know, i dont know what else to try really :confused

Does your daughter like to touch food? Seen on a program last week about a child who was hyper-sensitive to the textures and tastes of foods so would not touch many foods unless they were smooth textured.

Hi Shelly, Shes 20 months she's never been a good eater really. Ive tried the same that she gets nothing else and shes no giving in either. I think i pureed things down too much when she started on solids... She does touch food and says 'i lek at' but will not try it. Shes lively, never off the go so if does'nt seem to be bothering her, its bothering me more tho!!

majic
03-May-10, 21:56
Great minds think alike! Thats what i just said on my post! Totally clicked a light on in my head when i saw i though! My son wont eat much at all. But i think its just him trying to score some chocolate! :roll:

must have been typing at same time:)
and hey cant blame him for trying:)

ShelleyCowie
03-May-10, 21:58
Hi Shelly, Shes 20 months she's never been a good eater really. Ive tried the same that she gets nothing else and shes no giving in either. I think i pureed things down too much when she started on solids... She does touch food and says 'i lek at' but will not try it. Shes lively, never off the go so if does'nt seem to be bothering her, its bothering me more tho!!

Has she ever choked on something? My son couldnt chew anything at all because of being introduced way too late, so ended up choking on a tiny piece of food and i think that put him off alot of things.

If she is happy and energetic then dont worry too much at the moment. Put plenty of variety foods infront of her, even if she plays with them she might lick her fingers and realise it doesnt taste that bad. And as long as she gets plenty fluids too. Do you still have her on alot of milk?

My son hasnt actually eaten much in the last week due to being ill. Wont even eat chocolate which he loves. It has worried me but he is drinking plenty.

Also, i get alot of tips from the "Supernanny" forums and site. There is alot of handy things to try on there.

Kids minds are amazing! Wish i knew what they were thinking! :lol:

Cupcake
03-May-10, 22:06
Has she ever choked on something? My son couldnt chew anything at all because of being introduced way too late, so ended up choking on a tiny piece of food and i think that put him off alot of things.

If she is happy and energetic then dont worry too much at the moment. Put plenty of variety foods infront of her, even if she plays with them she might lick her fingers and realise it doesnt taste that bad. And as long as she gets plenty fluids too. Do you still have her on alot of milk?

My son hasnt actually eaten much in the last week due to being ill. Wont even eat chocolate which he loves. It has worried me but he is drinking plenty.

Also, i get alot of tips from the "Supernanny" forums and site. There is alot of handy things to try on there.

Kids minds are amazing! Wish i knew what they were thinking! :lol:

No, shes never choked on anything, tried putting lots of little things in front of her and beside her when shes playing with toys an that but its not encouraging her at all!! Yeah, she loves her milk..think she looks forward till bedtime the most cos she has it then!! I'll try the supernanny website to see if theres any ideas, thanks for that, hope your little one is better soon x

sjr014
03-May-10, 22:20
Well my little girl is 2 and a half now and is on the whole a very good eater, but i would just keep doing as your doing by offering her a good healthy varied diet. I would say try no to be paniced or stressed because she will pick up on it and it will be a constant battle and as others have said if they are hungry they will eat!

My little one on occassions has spells when she will not eat something when i know absolutely fine that she likes it but i suppose like ourselves sometimes you are just not in the mood or dont fancy a particular thing at that time. For me i try not to give her lots of snacks in between meals or that will affect how she eats at mealtimes and she will get a small treat or sweet but only after her evening meal and she has to have eaten well at both meals.

If she does like the smoother textures what about soups packed with veg and then liquidised and for a change from yoghurt what about some custard with pureed fruit. But i would try to relax about it i had a nephew who ate nothing but boiled eggs and wee willie winkies for years and wouldn't eat any meats or veg etc but is 12 now and eats everything insight!

telfordstar
03-May-10, 22:21
Im having problems with my 2 year old eating as well, he lives of cereal yoghurts and turkey dinasours, and ocasionally shepards pie and tinned macaroni oh and baked beans. Its true they will not starve but it is very very frustrating.

Thumper
04-May-10, 07:18
Hiya try giving her portions of stuff that are all diferent,some smooth and some lumpy so she can try it all out,it can even be the same stuff in two versions,then if she trys both she may realise that they taste as good but one has more to chew on x

nicnak
04-May-10, 09:50
Hi theren now I know I will prob get shot down in flames here but I have 3 children all healthy and teenagers now so I do know what I am talking about. All have mine have gone through the fussy eating stage and all have been treated the same way and it didnt last long. The answer is simple, STOP BEING SO SOFT with them and tell them that is all there is take it or leave it! Cut out squash , milk or shakes and all snakcks and treats and give them water they will soon eat when they are hungry. The problem today is everyone is too scared of being firm, try it you will see it works.

golach
04-May-10, 09:59
Hi theren now I know I will prob get shot down in flames here but I have 3 children all healthy and teenagers now so I do know what I am talking about. All have mine have gone through the fussy eating stage and all have been treated the same way and it didnt last long. The answer is simple, STOP BEING SO SOFT with them and tell them that is all there is take it or leave it! Cut out squash , milk or shakes and all snakcks and treats and give them water they will soon eat when they are hungry. The problem today is everyone is too scared of being firm, try it you will see it works.
Now nicnak, is right, do not give into the little monsters, they will rule the roost if you give them half a chance.

_Ju_
04-May-10, 10:08
By the time you present a food 25 times, the child usually forgets that they do not like it. Just keep presenting food and not offering alternatives. With my little guy if he did not eat his dinner, without battling or nagging, I took the food, wrapped in clingfilm, put it in the fridge, and brought it out again when the inevitable "I'm hungry" ocurred. I did not re-heat the food (except if it was soup), so that next time hopefully he would choose to eat it while still warm. (If you are re-heating food, remember you should not re-heat the same portion several times- food poisoning). My monster is now a pretty good eater and always tries something before he says he does not like it. And even if he says he does not like it it still goes on the plate for trying everytime!

horseman
04-May-10, 12:18
Now nicnak, is right, do not give into the little monsters, they will rule the roost if you give them half a chance.

Yep nice one as ever golach.

squidge
04-May-10, 12:31
Finger food is a good way to try to encourage them to eat a variety of textures. Also if you think it is the texture and lumps that they dontkike the old standbys can introduce them to actually chewing - Now I know this isnt fashionable but- all kids like chocolate and will soon chew a chocolate button, pink wafers are always liked and they will have to chew them, wotsits, quavers as well as other healthy stuff like grapes and oranges and bananas. The point is that the baby will chew because they taste nice and you can buy the healthy baby snacks from boots. The apple flavoured rice cakes are popular too although they smell disgusting.

Please dont jump to conclusions and think that i am advocating just feeding your child unhealthy snacks - Im not but you want to get them to eat different textures so try the stuff we all like - babies arent that different. Aslo if youa re trying jars is it the food they dont like rather than the texture.... My 9 month old hates baby jars and spits out all the bits and gags on the lumps but see her tuck into home made mince and tatties, roast dinner, or any leftovers and she never gags at all.

I also advacate being firm but You can balance this - I wouldnt offer a meal ten times for instance but i would say " If you eat all your dinner today then we can go to the park, have some raisins/chocolate" or something similar. I would also use "If you dont eat this dinner there will be no Cbeebies this afternoon" or something similar. Make sure you do what you say you will do ant they will soon learn to do as they are told.

I have a big issue with the weaning guidelines for new mums - I beleive they are a recipie for stressed out mums and fussy babies but hey ho -thats for another day

PS oops forgot - Also sit them at the table when you are eating and give them a taste of yours, a chip, a bit of crusty bread, a taste of your pasta and include them in the meal that way.

veekay
04-May-10, 12:46
It puzzles me why there is all this fuss over a child not eating 'what it should'. If the child likes things mushed up then puree it no problem. I always think that as long as child is running around and happy you can't be doing it wrong. Just don't get uptight about things as then the little dear will certainly pick up on the vibes and play you along.

Mushy food for child. feet up and a cuppa for you. Peace!

Stefan
04-May-10, 12:49
Like I said in my first post, just tell them there is nothing else. Kids don't starve to death and the more you prolong it the more they think they can win and it makes it harder...
We foster and we get teenagers to eat veg although they categorically state they don't like it and won't eat it. We win, every time. Some go for days without a hot meal but they all give in eventually.
It's so much easier with toddlers as they can't go to the shop with their pocket money and buy their own food or go through the cupboards to search for biscuits whilst you are asleep.

So just tell her thats her dinner and leave her to it. She doesn't eat it give her noting else. She will be hungry, give her the same food until she eats some of it. Praise her and give her a yoghurt as a treat after. Slowly increase the amount she has to eat until she has to finish whats on her plate to get a yoghurt.

DON'T feel sorry for her. Think about kids in the 3rd world who literally starve to death because they don't get any food, never mind choosing anything.

I often think that todays kids are ungrateful for what they get, nothing is ever good enough, everything has to be better, tastier, faster, newer etc. AND WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT, so let's stop it now.

Our kids just missed out on a day out in Inverness yesterday because they couldn't be bothered to help with anything all week. So they all got put in the car yesterday and taken to the croft to do some work instead of having a day out. None of them were pleased and hopefully they will empty the bin, wash up and help their mum with hoovering and looking after some chicks whilst I am working 10-14 hours a day at the croft.

We all have to work hard to put food on the table so let's teach our kids some values.

Sorry, getting off the subject now, winds me up to much...lol.

Highland lad
04-May-10, 14:55
I don't think you have to worry yet, give it some time.

Although from the age of 2 my one slowly stopped eating a lot of food now aged 9 only eats a few things. Only eats what he does as the Doctor told him he was going to die. For him it is texture look and smell.

GOOD LUCK

pauline79
04-May-10, 20:25
I had the same problem when my eldest was a toddler, I took her to the health visitor who told me that her not eating was my problem, not hers, i had more issue with it than her and i should just sit down with the family meal and pay no attention to weather or not she ate but let her see how much we were all enjoying our food and soon she would join in. I did this and also cut out all snacks in between meals, she soon stated to eat with us and is a good eater now, she is almost 7. I have done the same with her little sister and it worked for her too. As Shelly said, they will never starve, if they are hungry enough they do eat, we just have to be firm about what and when they eat, try to keep the control.

Dadie
04-May-10, 21:09
Its amazing what the little horrors will eat due to peer pressure!
Try having a friend round that is a good eater.... they might surprise you and eat what their pal is eating.
Lauren will eat stuff at nursery that she wont eat at home and Iona eats well at mother and toddlers!

kjandcrew
05-May-10, 22:12
Good answer Dadie - My grandson has started to get really fussy (he is 18 months) but he comes and has dinner with me and my twins (6 years) sat at the table and eats whatever i put in front of him. However its worrying when they dont seem to be eating anything "proper", but i believe a big answer is to eat at the table with the same food and not to worry too much - Good luck :)