PDA

View Full Version : Beware!

highland red
03-May-10, 16:08
If anyone is thinking of using the "jetwash" at Richards garage in Thurso, please be aware that they appear to have replaced the hoses on the lance and the brush.

This appears to have scratched my car pretty badly. I must admit that I didn't notice it until the next day. So if you are considering using it be very careful.

wickscorrie
03-May-10, 16:15
snap same thing happened at wick, my cousin's brand new car a week old was scratched quite heavily and they wouldn't accept that that was the cause of it, so would advise folk to be very careful if using

upolian
03-May-10, 16:47
Sorry to hear about the damage,did you complain to them?

I dont mean to be rude,but washing your car with a brush does your 'clearcoat' no favours what so ever:( not a safe wash method at all!

caithnesslad
03-May-10, 17:32
Guess people who take the lazy method pay the price.

highland red
03-May-10, 22:21
Guess people who take the lazy method pay the price.

Well I guess your right there. In my defence I have to say that I am not allowed to bend, stretch and take on anything a bit strenuous at the moment otherwise I would have washed it at home as usual.

I just thought that my mentioning it might just help someone else not have the hassle.

adi1
03-May-10, 22:34
Same thing happened to my partners car at Richards Thurso,
Its a black car and the paint is scratched down to the primer. All along the roof and rear panels where the hoses have rubbed. I did'nt see it till next day in the sun. I think what is happening is the hoses are picking up grit when they are wet and scratching the cars.
I am going to the garage in the morning and seeing the owner.

caithnesslad
03-May-10, 22:47
Should never put a brush on your paintwork in the first place, Just invest in a foam lance.

adi1
03-May-10, 22:53
The scratches are not caused by a brush its the hose that as done it. It's really severe like if you scratched the paint with a sharp edge. Its gone through the lacquer and paint.
I usually hand wash the car but my partner wanted to jet wash the arches etc

caithnesslad
03-May-10, 23:21
So what the water pressure is too high?

adi1
03-May-10, 23:25
So what the water pressure is too high?

No its the actual rubber hose that is doing the damage.
I don't know if it's a the protector around the hose that is doing it or if it is what I think and that is grit stuck on the hose acting as a abrasive.

caithnesslad
03-May-10, 23:31
So your putting the end of the hose directly onto your paintwork? I'm confused, I'd personally say the brush would be doing all the damage, My lazy cousin did this to his vxr and the paintwork was scratched and swirled badly ( Still is )

adi1
03-May-10, 23:39
So your putting the end of the hose directly onto your paintwork? I'm confused, I'd personally say the brush would be doing all the damage, My lazy cousin did this to his vxr and the paintwork was scratched and swirled badly ( Still is )

When using the jet wash at Richards the hose does not seem as high as others. So when washing the car using the brush to reach the roof etc the side walls of the hose rub against the car.
Probably the same at most garages trying not to let the hose touch the car is nigh impossible.
My partner is pregnant and is due on the 9th May, we are selling the car as it is too small, she used the jet wash to clean the car (I was at work) as she had someone coming to view it. It was not because anyone was lazy

caithnesslad
03-May-10, 23:46
Get a decent light aswell and have a look at the paint on the roof under decent lighting you will see the damage of the brush will be just as bad as what you've seen from what you think the hose has done, How deep are the scratches? Propper polishing pads with the right strength abrasive polish should do the trick.

adi1
03-May-10, 23:52
Dont need a light to see the scratches they are down to the primer. The car is old Y reg so there will be plenty of paint defects under light. Just that the scratches that have appeared are on the leading edges of the car eg where a roof rack would fit and rear quarters. I will take pics in morning and post them for all to see.No amount of Autoglym body restorer will take them out.

caithnesslad
04-May-10, 00:00
Look up dave-kg over on www.detailingworld.com if you want to see something a bit .. special.

upolian
04-May-10, 09:44
Dont need a light to see the scratches they are down to the primer. The car is old Y reg so there will be plenty of paint defects under light. Just that the scratches that have appeared are on the leading edges of the car eg where a roof rack would fit and rear quarters. I will take pics in morning and post them for all to see.No amount of Autoglym body restorer will take them out.

Id complain to richards etc about this.....

Thumper
04-May-10, 13:00
TBH I wouldnt ever dream of using these things in the first place-they wreck your paintwork,wouldnt use a pressure washer either,just good old fashioned warm water,good car shampoo and a fluffy washer thingy(canna mind the name o them),much cheaper in the long run too! x

Loraine
04-May-10, 13:33
TBH I wouldnt ever dream of using these things in the first place-they wreck your paintwork,wouldnt use a pressure washer either,just good old fashioned warm water,good car shampoo and a fluffy washer thingy(canna mind the name o them),much cheaper in the long run too! x

For years we did the same thing - washed by hand, but now since moving up here and living in a flat with no access to running water on ground level (apart from carrying a bucket up and down 39 steps) we have to use the jet wash at local garages. Sadly not everyone is in a situation where they are able to wash their car by hand....:(

upolian
04-May-10, 13:36

That would be a fluffy lambswool mitt :D

Thumper
04-May-10, 13:39
That would be a fluffy lambswool mitt :D

Yip ats the thingy :lol: thanks! x

Thumper
04-May-10, 13:41
For years we did the same thing - washed by hand, but now since moving up here and living in a flat with no access to running water on ground level (apart from carrying a bucket up and down 39 steps) we have to use the jet wash at local garages. Sadly not everyone is in a situation where they are able to wash their car by hand....:(
You do have a point there,sorry i wasnt saying i was right or better than anyone else,I was just saying that I personally wouldnt use them,but I suppose there are those out there who have no choice x