PDA

View Full Version : Dunnet bay beach.

JimH
04-Jun-06, 23:15
I was on the beach again today, and fascinated by the moon buggy going round in circles again.
Anybody any idea what they are playing at.

Rheghead
04-Jun-06, 23:18
I reckon they were just having fun, lets face it, it sounds like fun to be able to put a beach buggy through its paces.

JimH
04-Jun-06, 23:26
They were up to something, they have been there for days systematically covering the tide level.
It is one of these little 8 wheeled things.

Moira
05-Jun-06, 00:38
They were up to something, they have been there for days systematically covering the tide level.
It is one of these little 8 wheeled things.

Are "they" not normally there at the weekend then? My dog has "helped" the buggy search Dunnet beach on frequent occasions in the past - always during the week when the beach is quiet anyway. No-one's chased us off yet - I've always assumed they're checking for the "offending particles" which Dounreay has (allegedly) released into the sea.

At this time of year most organisations have just entered a new financial year and have a whole new budget to play with. It could be nothing more sinister than this - BTW I've asked the dog - but NOPE - he ain't telling ;)

Chillie
05-Jun-06, 01:15
Are "they" not normally there at the weekend then? My dog has "helped" the buggy search Dunnet beach on frequent occasions in the past - always during the week when the beach is quiet anyway. No-one's chased us off yet - I've always assumed they're checking for the "offending particles" which Dounreay has (allegedly) released into the sea.

At this time of year most organisations have just entered a new financial year and have a whole new budget to play with. It could be nothing more sinister than this - BTW I've asked the dog - but NOPE - he ain't telling ;)

That's exactly what they are doing.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Jun-06, 02:24

Here oor Moira,yer dog might no be sayin' much.But the three tails its got must be answering something!!!:lol:

Chillie
05-Jun-06, 02:34
Here oor Moira,yer dog might no be sayin' much.But the three tails its got must be answering something!!!:lol:

Na,na at comes later, firstly he can't say because he has sigined the O.S.A[lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Jun-06, 02:40
Na,na at comes later, firstly he can't say because he has sigined the O.S.A[lol]

Thats whit ye think hes sayin, Chillie....but its an auld dogs tale.He knows exactly wits goin' on.Censoring or NO censoring.;)

garycs
05-Jun-06, 22:36
Whilst at Dunnet last week I witnessed a family of five and then a few minutes later a couple who appeared to be in their 70's arrive at the car park, ready themselves for a walk, venture over to the notice board and then rapidly return to their cars after reading the notice about radioactive particles.

I find this extremely worrying, not the particles, but the strong way the notice is worded and it's lack of any detail that could allow a moderately sensible person to make an informed decision.

If the information I've been able to track down is still correct only two particles have been found on Dunnet, one is thought to be a fragment of fuel smaller than a grain of sand and the other was a small stone containing traces of Caesium 137 from a unidentified source, both had levels of radioactivity so low as to present an insignificant hazard to health. However what I find more interesting is that numerous stones on the beach have a natural radioactivity somewhat higher than that of the particles; so why all the fuss about particles? Do we really need a bulletin in the national papers every time one is found on a Caithness beach?

Tugmistress
05-Jun-06, 22:47
i haven't even read the sign, i still go on the beach though with the dogs, for fishing and with the daughter too. as you say, the local radioactivity in the rock naturally is far higher and the chances of picking up a 'dangerous' particle are practically zero.:D

Ann
05-Jun-06, 22:48
"Do we really need a bulletin in the national papers every time one is found on a Caithness beach?"

Ah but that's the media for you! Much more exciting than saying that all particles found are of less strength that naturally occurring radioactivity!

garycs
05-Jun-06, 23:01
I'll continue to walk on Dunnet with the kids just like most other Orgers who know the drive there is the riskiest part of the day out :) I just worry about the effect on tourists :(

Tugmistress
05-Jun-06, 23:26
just as a daft question, where is this sign anyway? i haven't even noticed it :lol:

Rheghead
05-Jun-06, 23:40
I am sure if Dounreay negligently dumped radioactive particles in the Dounreay-friendly-orger's backgardens they would kick up more of a fuss than they have about them dumping it on their beaches.

Tugmistress
06-Jun-06, 00:19
I am sure if Dounreay negligently dumped radioactive particles in the Dounreay-friendly-orger's backgardens they would kick up more of a fuss than they have about them dumping it on their beaches.

i wouldn't say i am dounreay friendly, i am probably neutral, but if the particles will get rid of those darn nettles, thistles and docks then they are more than welcome [lol][lol]

fred
06-Jun-06, 08:05
i wouldn't say i am dounreay friendly, i am probably neutral, but if the particles will get rid of those darn nettles, thistles and docks then they are more than welcome [lol][lol]

The thistles would grow with two heads, the docks would glow in the dark and the nettles would chase after you to sting you.

Tugmistress
06-Jun-06, 09:20
The thistles would grow with two heads, the docks would glow in the dark and the nettles would chase after you to sting you.

oh :(
i don't fancy 'day of the triffids' for real ;)

Ann
06-Jun-06, 10:02
I'm afraid they are already here; they have taken over my garden! ;)