PDA

View Full Version : Loch Calder

daviddd
02-May-10, 13:13
Does anyone on here remember the loch before the dams were built in the late 60's? What was it like then?

webmannie
02-May-10, 14:44
It was a sunny golden beach, with idylic crofthouses and children skipping gleefully to the sound of scottish music ...................................If ye believe that ye'll believe anything, dinna ken what it wis like as a wisna born then!

Kodiak
02-May-10, 14:59
It was smaller :)

Errogie
02-May-10, 22:52
It wasn't a huge increase in water depth but I remember having very good fishing over the newly flooded ground at the Brawlbin end in the late 60's. There is very little difference in loch size picked up between the 1:50000 scale map revised in 1974 and the old 1 " map surveyed in the 30's.

daviddd
03-May-10, 12:00
Thanks for this. I'm curious how much water , if any, used to flow north-west to the Forss Water before the north dam. The flow is to the south now of course via the Calder Burn and new waterworks.

Errogie
03-May-10, 19:38
I also used to fish the Forss below Knockglass after spates in the backend and don't recall a big contribution from the Calder side when going downstream from the Falls. Remember hooking a big salmon on a fly in the pool below the falls and having a frantic downstream scramble to keep up with it and passing the inlet but eventually lost the fish.

Best afternoon was 4 salmon on a worm from the falls again when they were running up from the lower river then tied them onto the moped somehow and home again. Never bothered with permits in those days as regarded the fishing as part of my heritage and still do but usually put them back now!