PDA

View Full Version : political advertising

series2A
01-May-10, 19:37
can someone tell me when people try to advertise there buisness by putting hoarding on public property the council get shirty and tell them to remove them, but when an election comes around our politicians are allowed to plaster the lamposts in our countryside, towns and villages with their awfull distracting signs which are left up months after the election untill the tie straps decay and we end up with this plastic carbage getting blown all over our county. Do they have special dispensation or is it simply one rule for us bigotts (their words not mine) and one for them...again

Bill Fernie
01-May-10, 20:37
There are regulations covering political advertising.

Highland council has a set of rules and can be found here
http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/FD6FBDFF-673D-4805-A6B8-1691F38665EA/0/PolicyDisplayofElectionPosters2010Updated.pdf

The regulations allow for advertising under certain conditions for elections but not for businesses.

You would also have to split up between trunk roads not controlled by the council and roads that are covered by the council. The diffferent bodies may differ in what they allow.
Planning permission may be required for signs and if so there are costs associated with the application.

No doubt the rules for political advertising go way back in history and with modern communications perhpas this form of advertising could be restricted or stopped. I expect political parties would vote to keep it in place especially if they win the election using it.

If that form of advertsing is not allowed would another form of advertsing be any better?

series2A
01-May-10, 20:59
Thanks for the link Bill.
What I will be watching is if they are not removed within 7 days I'll be onto the council.
But it does seem to be once again politicians can get away with more than the man in the street.