PDA

View Full Version : snake as pet

Mrs Bucket
30-Apr-10, 18:53
Can anyone advice me on keeping a snake as a pet. I was thinking along the lines of a garter snake it would have to be small, any help would be appreciated Thank you.

Bruce
30-Apr-10, 20:23
i used to keep king snakes great timied snakes easy to keep dont grow to big will eat fozen mice very good snake some dont even need uv bulbs.

buce

Mrs Bucket
01-May-10, 14:24
i used to keep king snakes great timied snakes easy to keep dont grow to big will eat fozen mice very good snake some dont even need uv bulbs.

buce
Thanks for that.

Stefan
01-May-10, 19:04
If you are a beginner I would suggest king snakes (milk snakes) as well as the previous poster. Couldn't advise which as I mainly had large pythons. Gorgeous creatures but not exactly small... Ball pythons are fairly small and easily handled but can be fussy eaters. If you are looking at ball pythons make sure you get one that feeds easily.
Corn snakes are very prolific if you want to breed, not too big (depends what you call big really) and usually eat defrosted mice as long as they have been fed defrosted from the start.
If you need more help ask away.

trix
01-May-10, 19:31

buce

but beware....they are very strong an can push open their tank lids an disappear up 'e chimney for months an months at a time.....

only til get 'e entrance mixed up on 'e wie doon, an come poppin doon yer next door neighbours lum....as he sits drinkin a tin o' lager :eek:

....if he hedna screamed as loud as he did....we widna o' got ayre in time, it wid o' bin too late for poor eddie - poor eddie nearly, nearly got his heid chopped off!! :eek:

Mrs Bucket
01-May-10, 19:40
It would have to be not too expensive to keep not too big and like being handled. Is there such a thing as a vegie snake.

Bruce
01-May-10, 20:42
you dont get veggie snakes,you can get veggie lizards or tortoises.i have kept all of them.and have to say the tortoises are the best for me,they dont grow to big you dont need to buy mice for them only weeds!!!and they are free!!
if you are going down the snake way.i have kept garter snakes corn snakes boas and kings.like i said before kings are great you will pick one up from bernes in elgin for 60 70quid.
if you want a tortoise i have eggs incubating just now dew to hatch next month but wont be for sale for a few months untill their shells harden

trix
01-May-10, 20:47
mmmh...maybe il get a tortoise!!!!

what a cool pet...i think 'ats ma answer :D

surly il get a discount....mates rates an stuff ;)

Stefan
01-May-10, 22:56
Snakes are never cheap and the equipment isn't neither...

Bruce
01-May-10, 23:34
if you get a snake that needs uv lighting then you will need to upgrade the lights every 6months or so but if you get a snake that dosent bask in sun light you will need a vivaruim with a heat mat and a constant supply of mice.i had california kings that did not bask in sunlight.so dont need uv lighting so the coast went rite down. hope this helps

Bruce
02-May-10, 00:00
mmmh...maybe il get a tortoise!!!!

what a cool pet...i think 'ats ma answer :D

surly il get a discount....mates rates an stuff ;)
am sure we can sort somthing out if you really want one.will have to be forever home though!!!

Lingland
02-May-10, 08:36
I was thinking of keeping snakes but it sounds a bit complicated but after reading Bruces comments a tortoise or lizard seems a better option. I would like something that would like being handled and easy to keep. And whatever pets I have it is always a forever home so maybe I would qualify for mates rates like Trix. I can speak caithnessian but I couldnt write it like Trix well done keep it up

trix
02-May-10, 11:41
ye could keep little gecko lizards, they are cool. all purple and velvet lookin. we hed 2 brithers - frank an' gavin.

poor gavin wis disabled tho, his hands were all bent an buckled. one day i got up for a work and a kweek check on them brought me til ma knees.

poor gavin hed choost aboot enough o' 'iss world an his limitations. he'd walked 'e plank an went heid first in til his water bowl. suicide wis 'e verdict :(

i wis gutted...an poor frank wis niver 'e same efter 'at :(

Lingland
02-May-10, 16:25
My word I dont know whether to laugh or cry after that Trix. but I do like the idea of geckoes. Do they need heat and what do they eat and would I need more than one.

Lingland
02-May-10, 16:27
ye could keep little gecko lizards, they are cool. all purple and velvet lookin. we hed 2 brithers - frank an' gavin.

poor gavin wis disabled tho, his hands were all bent an buckled. one day i got up for a work and a kweek check on them brought me til ma knees.

poor gavin hed choost aboot enough o' 'iss world an his limitations. he'd walked 'e plank an went heid first in til his water bowl. suicide wis 'e verdict :(

i wis gutted...an poor frank wis niver 'e same efter 'at :(
Do you think it might have been sibling rivalery

trix
02-May-10, 16:36
Do you think it might have been sibling rivalery

no, i dina think so, we treated them both 'e same.

they were always playin tilgither an they niver fell oot. frank wis awful protective o' poor gavin, sometimes carryin him aboot on his back. they were very close, frank went intil depression efter he died :(

bruce is yer man for all 'e info lek, he is 'e master ;)

Lingland
02-May-10, 16:39
no, i dina think so, we treated them both 'e same.

they were always playin tilgither an they niver fell oot. frank wis awful protective o' poor gavin, sometimes carryin him aboot on his back. they were very close, frank went intil depression efter he died :(

bruce is yer man for all 'e info lek, he is 'e master ;)
Thanx a lot I will get in touch with him is a week or thira person

trix
02-May-10, 16:50
Thanx a lot I will get in touch with him is a week or thira person

oh, he's a weiker. dis 'at make a difference?? [lol]

Lingland
02-May-10, 18:19
oh, he's a weiker. dis 'at make a difference?? [lol]
Yes that is most satisfactory

Tugmistress
02-May-10, 19:34
Frozen rodent supply is not a problem, i have plenty of multi's and breed them for snake food etc. at least you know when you pick them up they will get home frozen rather a semi defrosted through the post in two days as is normal up here lol

trix
05-May-10, 20:43
BRUCE!!!

clear some space in yer pm box so i can talk ye intil gien me a tortoise - please :D