PDA

View Full Version : Triple Whammy.......

Bazeye
30-Apr-10, 14:17
......At work the other day, my mate started to climb a ladder which I was underneath holding on to one of the rungs, with another lad stood behind him. Anyway my mate stood on my ring finger so i instinctively yelled out and whacked his foot with a hammer I was holding in my other hand. He wasnt wearing steel toe caps at the time so he instinctively jerked his foot back and backheeled the other lad in the face. Result, one cut finger, one bruised toe and one bust nose. When we went to the medical centre the first aider couldnt write the accident report for laughing. So much for sympathy. Btw we are now known as the Three Stooges. :(

ducati
30-Apr-10, 14:32
Talking of Submarines :cool:

We got an urgent job at the Liverpool courier firm I used to work for. Urgent Bike job for Portsmouth (Naval Dockyard). The rider was very carefully briefed (as these were top secret plans for.. I dunno, say the khazi on a submarine) as the previous courier, not mentioning any names, Pony Express, had lost them in transit!

Our rider was told: under no circumstances was he to let the tube out of his sight.

Many hours later we got a phone call he had arrived safely in Portsmouth and could we phone the yard as it was late at night and there was no one in the guard house :eek:

No probs. job done, untill we got another phone call saying he had left the plans in the phone box and when he went back for them a few minutes later they were gone. [lol]

Bazeye
30-Apr-10, 15:28
Whoever found it probably took it home for the kids to colour in.:lol:

John Little
30-Apr-10, 15:46
I was yomping across some moors with a 45lb pack on my back a few years ago, with a mate, similarly loaded. We were tanking along, chatting and I stepped down into a peat grough- he did not notice it. He fell forward, pack and all, turned a complete somersault and carried on walking as if nothing had happened. And he did not even try - it just happened. :eek:

ducati
30-Apr-10, 21:52
I was yomping across some moors with a 45lb pack on my back a few years ago, with a mate, similarly loaded. We were tanking along, chatting and I stepped down into a peat grough- he did not notice it. He fell forward, pack and all, turned a complete somersault and carried on walking as if nothing had happened. And he did not even try - it just happened. :eek:

It wasn't in some British Islands in the South Atlantic was it? ;)

John Little
30-Apr-10, 21:58
No - fraid not - it was on the Pennines above Catterick camp. What made it more piquant was that we kept on passing these poor squaddies who were doing a cross country route carrying twice as much as we were - poor beggars were knackered.

adi1
30-Apr-10, 23:12
No - fraid not - it was on the Pennines above Catterick camp. What made it more piquant was that we kept on passing these poor squaddies who were doing a cross country route carrying twice as much as we were - poor beggars were knackered.

Strange I always thought Catterick camp was situated between the Dales and on the edge of The North Yorkshire moors.
Pennines are to the west bordering Lancs and Yorkshire
Take those 45lb packs you was carrying had no maps in them?[lol]

John Little
30-Apr-10, 23:19
The Pennines are the 'backbone of England' and they run from Derbyshire up to just south of Hadrian's wall- then there is a short gap to the Cheviots. The path is all of 270 miles long and having walked it at least 9 times I can assure you that it is real.

The incident I describe took place between Keld and Tan Hill Inn. If you follow the map you can see down Swaledale and see that Catterick is not so very far away- the army do their training on the hills. North of Middleton in Teesdale is a huge army range where you often see training going on.

I had maps with me - but I do not need them unless it's misty because the path is so well defined and I have walked there so often.

If you follow this link it will show you where the Pennines are. they do follow the Lancs - Yorks border for a bit of the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennines

ducati
30-Apr-10, 23:20
Strange I always thought Catterick camp was situated between the Dales and on the edge of The North Yorkshire moors.
Pennines are to the west bordering Lancs and Yorkshire
Take those 45lb packs you was carrying had no maps in them?[lol]

Must have wondered over the border, half mad from starvation and dehydration
-lucky he wasn't arrested by the revolutionary guard :eek:

John Little
30-Apr-10, 23:22
Nah - there's chip shops everywhere!

trix
01-May-10, 00:30
......At work the other day, my mate started to climb a ladder which I was underneath holding on to one of the rungs, with another lad stood behind him. Anyway my mate stood on my ring finger so i instinctively yelled out and whacked his foot with a hammer I was holding in my other hand. He wasnt wearing steel toe caps at the time so he instinctively jerked his foot back and backheeled the other lad in the face. Result, one cut finger, one bruised toe and one bust nose. When we went to the medical centre the first aider couldnt write the accident report for laughing. So much for sympathy. Btw we are now known as the Three Stooges. :(

do ye work in dounreay?? :lol:

adi1
01-May-10, 11:46
\ it was on the Pennines above Catterick camp.

Sorry John my mistake I know that Tan Hill and Keld are on the Pennine way.
And are a good 40 to 50 miles away from Catterick.

John Little
01-May-10, 12:04
Ye-es - Tan Hill and Keld are both 'above' Catterick in height. On a map they are also 'above' in terms of being a little north of Catterick.

And the purple faced lads I spoke to said their lorry had dropped them in Muker.

All clear?