PDA

View Full Version : To The Motorist Who Left Injured Deer on road

Fran
30-Apr-10, 13:20
A motorist injured a small deer and left it in the road to die a horrifying death at Ulbster around 10am this morning. How cruel.I was driving along to wick when I saw whatI thought was a black bag blowing in the wind on the road. THEN I realised it was a poor animal on his back kicking his legs.
I got out of the car and saw the poor beautiful creature terrified and blood pouring from his nose and mouth and i tried to pull him by the legs off the road on to the grass verge.
Thank god for kind people and for elaine R who pulled in behind me and came to help. Together we lifted him into a field. I talked to him and stroked him and was so pleased when he sat up and was looking at me, he obviously wasnt too badly hurt, i hoped. Elaine phoned the vet andI said I would pay to make sure the vet would see him and we decided we would pay half each. We lifted him into her car and she took him to the vet. I was so very very upset that humans can be so cruel to animals. ELAINE thank you so very much. xxx
To the driver, apart from being so cruel and heartless, did it not occur to your action could have caused a serious accident if a car swerved to avoid this poor animal and went into an oncoming car. i hope your car is all dented at the front and that you have a guilty concience.
motorists please be aware when you are driving in this area.
To my passengers in my vehicle at the time, thank you for your consideration.
On the way back i came across a bad road accident where i assisted but i am saying no more about that.

Dadie
30-Apr-10, 13:30
In defence of the poor motorist who hit the deer... they may have not known it was badly hurt... adrenaline may have kicked in and the deer may have walked/run/jumped away from the accident to only suffer from their injuries later on ... The motorists car would probably have taken a good beating though!
Deer are bad for jumping away from accidents looking fine while cars end up as rightoffs!
I would like to believe no one would leave a deer injured at the side off the road....and if it died its a waste of some decent venison!

Fran
30-Apr-10, 13:31
There is no way the deer could have moved from the scene, you could see by the blood that it hadnt moved, it couldnt move.

Boozeburglar
30-Apr-10, 13:34
There is no way I would have just driven off.

There would be venison on the menu tonight.

Dadie
30-Apr-10, 13:43
You would not have venison on the menu for tonight ... it would need hung for a couple of weeks!

changilass
30-Apr-10, 13:44
.... and if you are the one that hit it, its illegal to take it .

You would need a buddy driving behind in order to be having venision on your plate in a fortnight.

Liz
30-Apr-10, 13:58
Well done Fran and Elaine for being so caring and making sure the poor deer didn't suffer any more. It must have been so upsetting for you.:~(

Mr P Cannop
30-Apr-10, 14:01
A motorist injured a small deer and left it in the road to die a horrifying death at Ulbster around 10am this morning. How cruel.I was driving along to wick when I saw whatI thought was a black bag blowing in the wind on the road. THEN I realised it was a poor animal on his back kicking his legs.
I got out of the car and saw the poor beautiful creature terrified and blood pouring from his nose and mouth and i tried to pull him by the legs off the road on to the grass verge.
Thank god for kind people and for elaine R who pulled in behind me and came to help. Together we lifted him into a field. I talked to him and stroked him and was so pleased when he sat up and was looking at me, he obviously wasnt too badly hurt, i hoped. Elaine phoned the vet andI said I would pay to make sure the vet would see him and we decided we would pay half each. We lifted him into her car and she took him to the vet. I was so very very upset that humans can be so cruel to animals. ELAINE thank you so very much. xxx
To the driver, apart from being so cruel and heartless, did it not occur to your action could have caused a serious accident if a car swerved to avoid this poor animal and went into an oncoming car. i hope your car is all dented at the front and that you have a guilty concience.
motorists please be aware when you are driving in this area.
To my passengers in my vehicle at the time, thank you for your consideration.
On the way back i came across a bad road accident where i assisted but i am saying no more about that.

is the dear safe and well ??

Fran
30-Apr-10, 22:09
Thanks for asking Paul . I went to the vet to pay the bill but there was no charge. Hamish the vet very kindly saw to his mouth wound, checked him all over,gave him pain relief, put him in his vehicle and released him into the forest where he ran off. He was quite tame and apparently he was an adult.
A very lucky deer to have such a happy ending and i am so releived.

Fran
30-Apr-10, 22:12
You will be pleased to know that the deer ( see my thread in general about motorist leaving deer to die) was checked over by Hamish the vet, his mouth/nose injury seen to, pain relief given and he is now running free and happy back in the forest again.
This has made my really depressing day so cheerful now, it has made my day.

Liz
30-Apr-10, 22:15
Oh that is great news Fran and well done to Hamish for his kindness.:D

Liz
30-Apr-10, 22:17
I replied to your thread in the General section but you did such a good deed that I think it is worth repeating.

Well done for caring for the deer and it was so kind of Hamish the Vet to tend to the deer and then release it.

Restores my faith in human nature.:D

evelyn
30-Apr-10, 22:21
Well done Fran, Elaine and Hamish. It does your heart good to hear of such kindness.
Evelyn

gollach
30-Apr-10, 22:23
.... and if you are the one that hit it, its illegal to take it .

Why is that then?

I hit a deer a few years ago on the Causewaymire. Thurso police told me that if the landowner claimed the deer I could sue for damage to my car. However, since the landowner did not claim the deer, police said I was entitled to keep it if I wanted it.

Dog-eared
30-Apr-10, 22:24
I was coming up by Berriedale one night and there was a car stopped in front. When I pulled up behind the people in the road in front of the car got in and drove away.
Leaving a badly injured deer on the road.
I knew where the local gamekeeper lived, about two miles away . So I got him out to put the beast out of his misery.

windness
30-Apr-10, 22:26
I think you are being a bit hard on the driver.It is quite possible they got an awful shock and felt very guilty all day about it. Are you trying to make the driver feel even worse or are you looking for praise?

Fran
30-Apr-10, 22:44
I am annoyed at the driver thats all. I think it was dangerous to other traffic that he left the poor animal in the road on its back kicking, and secondly I think it was very cruel for the driver to leave the poor animal like that where he could have had a horrific death by being hit by car after car.
im sorry, but in my mind the driver should have stopped and put the animal on the grass verge. what if it was a human, and dont say it doesnt happen because it does, there are a lot of hit and run accidents.

Fran
30-Apr-10, 22:50
i see my post has been moved. It is not about a pet, it should not be in the pet section. It should be in the general section where i placed it. it is also a warning to motorists in that area to watch out for deer.

majic
30-Apr-10, 22:53
sorry to hear about the deer i hope its ok, the driver should have stopped and seen if it was badly injured and then they wouldn't have had to spend all day feeling guilty

Rictina
30-Apr-10, 23:11
AWWw how could anyone leave a deffensless animal in the road, its beyond all comprehension to me.

Well done to all those to helped this majestical Deer.

purplelady
30-Apr-10, 23:32
so glad the deer is ok and someone with some comppasion found him x

teenybash
30-Apr-10, 23:37
Fran you are an angel for stopping to help this beautifu; animal, Elaine and Hamish, what wonderful kindness.
What good news that the little deer now runs free in the forest.....:)

donnick
01-May-10, 09:43
well done to all involved in the rescue its nice to see that people do care and that he back to his own enviroment .
i also think there are people who would just drive way from a science somepeople just dont care, but also that accidents do happen
AGAIN well done

rambo1978
01-May-10, 10:57
Well done indeed! Poor animal, glad he's back running around now though :)

Driver should be shot for leaving him like that imo.

Boozeburglar
01-May-10, 14:36
I agree this is a general topic.

I assumed it was a wee roe deer?

Ideally you would not be using it the same day, but you do when you are out living wild.

For a small roe, two weeks would be seriously overdoing it for hanging!

;)

porshiepoo
01-May-10, 15:54
That's fantastic news. Well done you for stopping and helping the poor animal.
I'm always concerned about hitting an animal on the road but I can guarantee that I wouldn't just leave anything I did hit. [evil]

misty woman
01-May-10, 20:19
That's fantastic news. Well done you for stopping and helping the poor animal.
I'm always concerned about hitting an animal on the road but I can guarantee that I wouldn't just leave anything I did hit. [evil]
Very well said and well done to everyone involved with saving this animal.

Boozeburglar
02-May-10, 11:16
I have taken countless animals and birds home or for treatment, (chuck them out in the morning once the beer goggles wear off!). There are one or two times I could not find the animal after hitting it. In parts of the world running over feral cats is unavoidable, but one time I hit a dog without seeing it. It clattered into my rear wing.

I was only doing 20 or so, in a town in Slovakia or somewhere. My initial fear was it might be a kid, so I was happy to hear from the kids who were playing in the street that it was a dog and it ran off. We looked for it but no luck.

I have never actually hit a deer. Or a sheep or UK based cow.

In perhaps half a million miles of driving.

Many, many close calls, but none hit so far.

One dog, many cats, a few birds and lots of wabbits.

One caribou.

Couple of humans, non fatal walking pace, and a couple of cars, intentionally.

Guess I am lucky. Like that deer Fran so kindly aided.

donnick
02-May-10, 11:38
i hit one 2 year ago sprung right out the ditch into ma car ooch defo dead guts all over the road instant kill .and i dont mind killing the odd million midgie or 2 :lol: