PDA

View Full Version : family feuds

Bartlett Boy
29-Apr-10, 23:13
how long do these or can these last when words are like weapons and family say really hurtfull things and try cause bother the usual stuff can these be forgotten and move on or would could you hold a long grudge ????

or is it just stupid and petty when grown ups act like children ???

theone
29-Apr-10, 23:16
As the saying goes 'you can pick your friends but not your family'.

I know many who go along with that.

I don't.

I pick who I interact with. Blood or not.

BRIE
29-Apr-10, 23:18
sadly they can last years :(. But hopefully the people involved will realise that life is to short to hold grudges & they will all make up. Personally I hate any kind of conflict & fall outs.

Rictina
29-Apr-10, 23:21
Oh famlies, hahahe....

I think from time to time that all families fall out.

Dadie
29-Apr-10, 23:22
decades if not more!
Even until a life changing moment like death is not enough to heal the rift!
Or until one side backs down and bridges are made but it can be fragile for ages afterwards.... decades even..... until a biggy that needs family to lean on family to get through it!

horseman
30-Apr-10, 00:09
No way- family feuds are the most difficult of all 'barneys' to get bye.
Perish the thought,I could wriite a book on our experiancies.:(

Fran
30-Apr-10, 00:11
I think it is wrong, people should think carefully, make amends etc, ..life is too short, we might not be here tomorrow to tell loved ones we love them or we are sorry so say it today.

S&LHEN
30-Apr-10, 08:37
:(They can last for years or a lifetime in some cases I think they all depend on what happened and actually on the people, Some people can forgive and forget while other people cant,
I dont think I could forgive a family member if they did something awful to somebody else, But generally i forgive very quick but forgetting is harder :)

achingale
30-Apr-10, 10:10
Families can be a nightmare but at the end of the day you should be able to say what you think to your family and not fear repercussions for having an opinion. Friends are totally different. You can talk to them about anything and they will be straight with you. Of course we all fall out with our friends but we also always make up with them. Sometimes families are not so easy to get back on track with. There is a saying that blood is thicker than water but at the end of the day, families can hold a grudge for many years and you wonder if it is all worth it. I know it is hard but try not to take it to heart so much - it is tough though; I have been there. Know that you are a nice person, you have good friends and you have done your best. What more can you ask?

balto
30-Apr-10, 10:38
Families can be a nightmare but at the end of the day you should be able to say what you think to your family and not fear repercussions for having an opinion. Friends are totally different. You can talk to them about anything and they will be straight with you. Of course we all fall out with our friends but we also always make up with them. Sometimes families are not so easy to get back on track with. There is a saying that blood is thicker than water but at the end of the day, families can hold a grudge for many years and you wonder if it is all worth it. I know it is hard but try not to take it to heart so much - it is tough though; I have been there. Know that you are a nice person, you have good friends and you have done your best. What more can you ask?
well said agree 100%, sometimes things get to the point where trying causes you so much upset and you think to yourself whats the point.

equusdriving
30-Apr-10, 11:11
Every generation
Blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door

I know that I'm a prisoner
To all my Father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage
To all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

Crumpled bits of paper
Filled with imperfect thought
Stilted conversations
I'm afraid that's all we've got

You say you just don't see it
He says it's perfect sense
You just can't get agreement
In this present tense
We all talk a different language
Talking in defence

Say it loud, say it clear
You can listen as well as you hear
It's too late when we die
To admit we don't see eye to eye

So we open up a quarrel
Between the present and the past
We only sacrifice the future
It's the bitterness that lasts

So Don't yield to the fortunes
You sometimes see as fate
It may have a new perspective
On a different day
And if you don't give up, and don't give in
You may just be O.K.

I wasn't there that morning
When my Father passed away
I didn't get to tell him
All the things I had to say

I think I caught his spirit
Later that same year
I'm sure I heard his echo
In my baby's new born tears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

But i like many others find it very hard to follow this advice :~(

Sniperama
30-Apr-10, 12:04
at the end of the day all we have in the world is family and wether you are in the wrong or they are if the family member means so much to you it is just as easy for you to take the blame and apologise, i dont think being stubern will help either side and i know if i fall out with family i could just as easy say sorry even a txt to say that things got out of hand and you want to forget about it.

hope helps

debs
30-Apr-10, 12:12
totally agree with everything u hav said on here but why can sum people be so nasty to there kids?they do hav feelings as well

Doreen
30-Apr-10, 14:21
I have to say that kids can be so hurtful to with things they say some things you can forgive but depends on what has been said .

Bazeye
30-Apr-10, 14:31
My OH gets on well with both her sisters who live in Caithness. Unfortunately her two sisters dont speak to each other.

ducati
30-Apr-10, 14:51
My OH gets on well with both her sisters who live in Caithness. Unfortunately her two sisters dont speak to each other.

It's hard to find any two people in Caithness who a speaking to each other [lol]

Mrs Bucket
30-Apr-10, 17:50
Sadly they are sometimes taken to the grave.

Bazeye
30-Apr-10, 19:55
Sadly they are sometimes taken to the grave.

Not me, I'll talk to anyone, whether they listen or not though thats a different matter.

purplelady
30-Apr-10, 23:41
I have a cousin who has not spoken to her sister in 26 yrs xxxx

Happy Rascal
01-May-10, 10:46
I have to agree sometimes words are said that no amount of time can heal no matter how much you try to fix things the cracks are still there.

Bartlett Boy
01-May-10, 11:59
from personal experince its affected my family and caused rifts over nothing and its needless life to short ! you miss out on a lot of things you shouldnt because in all fairness we act like a bairn in a stooney and were adults bitching about nothing and why ?

thanks for all response been intersting reading

Vistravi
01-May-10, 14:25
I think time is often a great healer in families. A couple of years ago i refused to speak to my mum after everything that happened when my dad died. I decided after 2 years that i no longer hated her and was ready to heal the rift. This caused alot of rifts with the family who were speaking to me so i may have made up with my mum but made rifts with the rest of the family for doing so. You can't win sometimes. I stand by my desicion and would do it again as it felt right to heal the rift between my mum and me. I have forgiven her for what happened in that bad time but it affects how much i trust people. I don't feel that i can fully trust people close to me.
If someone you love can leave you when you need them the most then how can you rely on them and trust them fully?

It seems illogical to think this way to me but its hard to break after so long.

The Drunken Duck
01-May-10, 14:33
Haven't spoken to my stepfather in three years, my mother in five and my half siblings in ten. I never will again either, I have had so much crap thrown at me that I am indifferent to them all and to be honest, I have never been happier since I no longer have any of them in my life in any way.

celtic lass
01-May-10, 15:00
everyones family feuds differ,and i would say nearly every family have them.Sometimes its parents that keep the siblings together when the parents are no longer here the siblings all go their own way and say then what they really think sorry to say but that's life

horseman
01-May-10, 16:39
I have a G/son who I have never seen yet! An we are in the same town.! Moved house,so cannot horse in on them!! Bad place to be. We put it down to the glasgow bitch he married! Yea ,much to easy to say, but there you are,thats family for you.:(

celtic lass
01-May-10, 18:12
I have a G/son who I have never seen yet! An we are in the same town.! Moved house,so cannot horse in on them!! Bad place to be. We put it down to the glasgow bitch he married! Yea ,much to easy to say, but there you are,thats family for you.:(
sorry to hear that FAMILIES can't live with them can't live without them

Bartlett Boy
01-May-10, 19:20
when things in family affairs become blured and forgotten who said or caused what ever!!!! then we squable and hold a grudge in past i have held grudges!!!! but times getting on for me and life to short to be petty ive enjoyed reading the massive response

BIG THANKS ORGERS

series2A
01-May-10, 19:51
I havnt spoken to my father for 34 years and have no intention to, even if he wanted to speak to me, I wont even bother to go and dance on his grave when he's dead, if he thought I would he get himself buried at sea [lol]
I didnt speak to my sister for 19 years but started talking again last year and we get on fine now but the reason for the fall out was totaly different to him.

cherokee
03-May-10, 18:19
I really miss my niece!

I texted her a really stupid message (with hindsight!!) a few years ago, and she has obviously never forgiven me for it !! I'd SO love to be back in touch with her again,but after several attempts, I've given up.......... I always think of her though and wish her well.......... just to see/speak to her again................ :(:(

celtic lass
03-May-10, 22:43
I really miss my niece!

I texted her a really stupid message (with hindsight!!) a few years ago, and she has obviously never forgiven me for it !! I'd SO love to be back in touch with her again,but after several attempts, I've given up.......... I always think of her though and wish her well.......... just to see/speak to her again................ :(:(
I don't know you but i hope it all works out for you,maybe just give it time :)

cherokee
04-May-10, 10:35
I don't know you but i hope it all works out for you,maybe just give it time :)

Thanks for your kind thoughts celtic lass.

celtic lass
04-May-10, 10:40
Thanks for your kind thoughts celtic lass.
families who needs them eh:(

horseman
04-May-10, 12:14
Bet we could all write a book there sweeties, but what the hell--if thats where they want to be- I can pick my friends.:)

welsh-witch
11-Jul-10, 22:43
id hate to fall out with my family, i love them too much, but i do know of families who bhave fakken out over something tivial n not spoken for years afterwards, life really is too short

glaikit
12-Jul-10, 19:35
In my experience, the worst feuds are not the ones where there's a big, massive barney. It's the ones where folk don't speak and one of the parties has no idea what it's about:roll: You can't really defend yourself or put things right, if you never get told what's wrong in the first place.

It's also my experience that a family member would never talk to a friend, the way they talk to their close family. It's expected that you'll take seven kinds of crap off a family member by virtue of their birth.

I'm with some of the other posters: you can choose your friends. I was definitely adopted looking at some of the munsters in my family :eek: