PDA

View Full Version : European working hours directive "scrapped"?

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 20:36
If been busy trying to find out whether Oh can be expected to work 50hrs or more a week,working through all breaks aswell.
I went on to the government web site and printed off the necessary 48 hour directive.
Thought I'd cracked it until I found the site had been updated on the 28th of this month.

**UPDATED** Revision of the European Working Time Directive

**Update Tuesday 28 April 2009** The European Working time Directive is thrown in the bin !

For the first time since its inception, a conciliation committee [1 (http://www.epha.org/a/980#nb1)] has failed to reach an agreement. It emerged on 27 April 2009 that no compromise could be reached between the European Parliament and the European Council on three key points : the opt-out, on-call time and multiple contracts. The European Parliament delegation made the decision to end negotiations with fifteen votes in favour, five abstentions and zero against.
To read more about the five long years of extensive negotiations please read on.
** The article has been updated with the Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council conclusions of December 2007.**

Explain in"idiot" terms please because I'm reading it now and he is expected to work these long hours with no protection.:~(

Phill
29-Apr-10, 20:46
Does this not still take into account the hours worked over 12 or is it 16 weeks?

Also how / why is OH working through breaks, if there are breaks why aren't they being taken?

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 22:03
Does this not still take into account the hours worked over 12 or is it 16 weeks?

Also how / why is OH working through breaks, if there are breaks why aren't they being taken?

he's a driver Phil and is expected to put out his load regardless.:(

iain
29-Apr-10, 22:30
Take it he's not an HGV driver?

theone
29-Apr-10, 22:41
The working time directive is averaged over a time period.

I work 87+1/2 hour weeks offshore but luckily only 20 a year. Offshore they are averaged over 52 weeks, not sure about other industries.

If it's HGV's your OH is driving surely the tacho ensures he gets the required breaks?

cuddlepop
30-Apr-10, 08:46
Take it he's not an HGV driver?

His driving hours arent preached but he done a 12hour shift yesterday.
Its just the area you have to cover and the load you have to deliver thats the problem
You can wait up to an hour while you wait for a fork lift or someone to agree to give you a hand.:(