PDA

View Full Version : Explaining what the main parties stand for.

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 16:32
I'm having to explain to my youngest in "simple" terms what Labour,Consevatives,Lib dem and SNP stand for or are about without influincing her with my opinion.:confused

She can vote this time but is unsure what their all about,leaflets are just too "wordy".:roll:

Any suggestions,serious please.:D

Boozeburglar
29-Apr-10, 16:37
I would strongly suggest thinking about what you are voting for here, it is for Westminster.

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 16:42
I would strongly suggest thinking about what you are voting for here, it is for Westminster.

Thats the whole point because we're actually voting for our local pm who is Charles Kennedy and because we're very impressed with the way he's handled all our Education issues will be voting for him again.
With a magority of over 40% no one can see him being ousted but that doesnt neccesarily mean I want a Lib dem prime minister.:confused

Its all confusing me nevermind her.:lol:

Boozeburglar
29-Apr-10, 16:59
I think a lot of people have mixed feelings about this.

The Scottish electorate are all having to make this decision.

You won't be getting a Lib Dem PM, of course, but you can change what happens to Brown and Cameron.

:)

Kodiak
29-Apr-10, 16:59
My advice is to vote for the Person rather than the Party. That way you hopefully will get the person who will do the best for where you live. IE vote for the person whom you think will do the best for you and who would make the best MP in your constituency.

ducati
29-Apr-10, 17:06
My advice is to vote for the Person rather than the Party. That way you hopefully will get the person who will do the best for where you live. IE vote for the person whom you think will do the best for you and who would make the best MP in your constituency.

My prob is I want to vote for the party I want in Westminster but that will be a waste of a vote because my local MP has such a huge majority. And I know few people in my area will vote 'my' way :confused

Kodiak
29-Apr-10, 17:11
My prob is I want to vote for the party I want in Westminster but that will be a waste of a vote because my local MP has such a huge majority. And I know few people in my area will vote 'my' way :confused

That is the problem with Party Politics and exactly whay I decided many, many years ago to vote for the peron whom I want to represent me in Parliment. So far I have never regretted this decision.

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 17:36
When I asked what they were all about when i was young I got told.

Labour......working man,thats you and yours.
Conservatives....the toffs that are all "fur coat and no knickers"
Liberals...well since Churchill they've lost the plot.
SNP...your mother votes for them just to be different.

I must admit I did follow what my father voted without truely thinking about it,now I vote for our local MP who has done so much for us.:D

Boozeburglar
29-Apr-10, 17:42
It is far from a wasted vote when there may be a balanced parliament.

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 17:46
It is far from a wasted vote when there may be a balanced parliament.

I dont see voting for Charlie as a wasted vote as thats who I want to represent me in Westminster but I dont agree with the libdems taxation on 4 by 4s as without our Landi this winter we'd have been stuck just like the magority of people in the Highlands we have a 4 by 4.:Razz

George Brims
29-Apr-10, 18:55
I dont see voting for Charlie as a wasted vote as thats who I want to represent me in Westminster but I dont agree with the libdems taxation on 4 by 4s as without our Landi this winter we'd have been stuck just like the magority of people in the Highlands we have a 4 by 4.:Razz
Cuddle. the problem with 4 X 4s is not the people who use them because they're useful or necessary, it's the people who use them because they're fashionable. As Alexei Sale pointed out many years ago, there exists a class of people who think a 4 X 4 is essential for getting across Chelsea and into the Sainsbury's car park. The gummint needs to find a way to tax the pants off those people (so they buy something more sensible next time) while leaving the country people alone.

Now, back to worrying how to fix my own 4 X 4. Anyone have experience of a fast idling problem on an Isuzu Rodeo?

DeHaviLand
29-Apr-10, 19:08
Now, back to worrying how to fix my own 4 X 4. Anyone have experience of a fast idling problem on an Isuzu Rodeo?

Check your intake manifold gasket

ducati
29-Apr-10, 19:34
Cuddle. the problem with 4 X 4s is not the people who use them because they're useful or necessary, it's the people who use them because they're fashionable. As Alexei Sale pointed out many years ago, there exists a class of people who think a 4 X 4 is essential for getting across Chelsea and into the Sainsbury's car park. The gummint needs to find a way to tax the pants off those people (so they buy something more sensible next time) while leaving the country people alone.

If its a diesel, oil getting into the turbo is quite common, or a clagged up EGR valve

How useful is this forum? :cool:

John Little
29-Apr-10, 19:36
Cuddlepop- this will be too advanced for your kiddie, but it might help a little - I hope so.

http://tutor2u.net/politics/presentations/political-parties/default.html

Sage
29-Apr-10, 19:47

Same here. I have tended to vote for the Person....but in a General want to vote for the party ...but will it be a wasted vote?

Mind you...if everyone thought like that there's no way anyone different would ever get the chance :eek:

ducati
29-Apr-10, 19:55
Same here. I have tended to vote for the Person....but in a General want to vote for the party ...but will it be a wasted vote?

Mind you...if everyone thought like that there's no way anyone different would ever get the chance :eek:

True, True I will be casting my vote upon the waters and fingers crossed as usual :lol:

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 19:56
Cuddlepop- this will be too advanced for your kiddie, but it might help a little - I hope so.

http://tutor2u.net/politics/presentations/political-parties/default.html

Thanks John but there's just too many words for her, its almost got to be like my dads idiot guide to politics but for people like herself that are high functioning autistics.

Its made me wonder though just how many adults with additional needs actually vote or vote without "influence":confused

Sage
29-Apr-10, 19:59
Think there'll be a lot of people with fingers crossed for different reasons...roll on next friday and normality resuming. Well...I say "normal" :lol:

John Little
29-Apr-10, 20:07
I think what you want may not exist on the net. Telling young kids what parties stand for does not seem to be done. The nearest I can come up with is this;

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/pshe/pshe.htm

The one on elections may give some understanding of what is going on- how old are we speaking of?

cuddlepop
29-Apr-10, 20:17
I think what you want may not exist on the net. Telling young kids what parties stand for does not seem to be done. The nearest I can come up with is this;

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/pshe/pshe.htm

The one on elections may give some understanding of what is going on- how old are we speaking of?

Thanks for trying but if I dare send her to that web site I'd get am not stupid/kid just need things explained simple.
Its almost her "Mantra":(

joxville
29-Apr-10, 21:16

Check your intake manifold gasket

If its a diesel, oil getting into the turbo is quite common, or a clagged up EGR valve

How useful is this forum? :cool:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a motoring section on here. :)

fred
02-May-10, 16:18
I'm having to explain to my youngest in "simple" terms what Labour,Consevatives,Lib dem and SNP stand for or are about without influincing her with my opinion.

She can vote this time but is unsure what their all about,leaflets are just too "wordy".

Any suggestions,serious please.:D

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/hate.jpg

The Drunken Duck
02-May-10, 16:50
*Ahem* .. *cough* .. Fred .. check the date.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=696468#post696468

Busted .. :D

poppett
02-May-10, 16:56
Well done Fred.

CP that answers your questions too. I am with you about Charles Kennedy, not just to do with his party, but a thoroughly straight forward person who does his best for his constituents.

celtic1888
02-May-10, 23:20
Im not sure of who to vote for, havent actually watched the news much this las tmonth..
anyone give an insight to what the parties manifestos are like?
what are their promises?

horseman
03-May-10, 06:15
Super duper one Fred!
I don't give a stuff about who is in,I vote for the party, an hope to toss out the present tosser, but he or she, we got a girl this time! will still be tossers;)

The Drunken Duck
03-May-10, 08:50
Yes Fred .. super duper. You can copy other peoples posts and ideas and post them up.

If you didn't nick that picture from my post of a week earlier than yours I would like to know where you got it. Because it was a joint effort between two people on another site. And I don't remember you being the other person.

Are you even capable of original thought ??

fred
03-May-10, 10:57
Yes Fred .. super duper. You can copy other peoples posts and ideas and post them up.

If you didn't nick that picture from my post of a week earlier than yours I would like to know where you got it. Because it was a joint effort between two people on another site. And I don't remember you being the other person.

Are you even capable of original thought ??

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, you do seem to get all upset about the least little things.

Craig Murray (http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/) posted it to his blog yesterday saying he got it from the Lib Dems themselves.

I remembered someone asking so I posted it, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. Is it not possible to do anything on this forum without someone jumping down your throat?

The Drunken Duck
03-May-10, 11:11
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, you do seem to get all upset about the least little things.

Craig Murray (http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/) posted it to his blog yesterday saying he got it from the Lib Dems themselves.

I remembered someone asking so I posted it, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. Is it not possible to do anything on this forum without someone jumping down your throat?

Really ?? .. it was posted on a humour website called b3ta over a week ago as part of a Lib Dem parody challenge. I would post a link but some of the humour there can be a bit brutal. I am sure you can find the site yourself.

Its a parody and like most parodies it works on two levels. The hidden insult in it is that while the other parties are bad at least they stand for something. If Limp Dem supporters are now picking it up and parading it as some kind of positive advertisement for them then it has obviously worked better than intended.

Much hilarity now ensuing, believe me.

fred
03-May-10, 17:49
Really ?? .. it was posted on a humour website called b3ta over a week ago as part of a Lib Dem parody challenge. I would post a link but some of the humour there can be a bit brutal. I am sure you can find the site yourself.

Its a parody and like most parodies it works on two levels. The hidden insult in it is that while the other parties are bad at least they stand for something. If Limp Dem supporters are now picking it up and parading it as some kind of positive advertisement for them then it has obviously worked better than intended.

Much hilarity now ensuing, believe me.

Look I really don't care what you think of the picture, or anything else for that matter which is why I usually try to avoid reading your posts whenever possible.

I saw something I liked on a blog yesterday, posted by a member of the Liberal party. I thought others on the forum might like to see it, it was relevant to a thread so I posted it.

Then, as so often happens, you wade in with a load of personal abuse. Now is it not possible to post anything to this forum without one of a small group of people who all seem to be connected to the armed forces posting personal abuse at me?

cuddlepop
03-May-10, 17:59
Party Politics or should that be Org politics.:Razz

Fred I appreciated your poster but somehow cant see Jeremy Clarkson voting Lib dem as they plan to "tax" the life out the 4by4 market .:(

If I could vote for the bits of the individual partys policys I agree with that would be brilliant.

Unfortunatly just going to have to compromise.:roll:

Pastychomper
04-May-10, 12:42
...The gummint needs to find a way to tax the pants off those people (so they buy something more sensible next time) while leaving the country people alone...

I think if any Westminster party gave that much thought to areas outside the M25 I'd vote for them... :Razz

The Drunken Duck
04-May-10, 14:31
Look I really don't care what you think of the picture, or anything else for that matter which is why I usually try to avoid reading your posts whenever possible.

I saw something I liked on a blog yesterday, posted by a member of the Liberal party. I thought others on the forum might like to see it, it was relevant to a thread so I posted it.

Then, as so often happens, you wade in with a load of personal abuse. Now is it not possible to post anything to this forum without one of a small group of people who all seem to be connected to the armed forces posting personal abuse at me?

Fred .. In the past I have given you rep for posts and complimented you on your sense of humour. Hardly the actions of someone with a personal grudge. But the simple fact is if that anyone says ANYTHING you don't like you jump on the abuse bandwagon and start crying like a smacked stepchild. You have made deeply personal remarks and insults, specifically designed to hurt and enrage, directly at me on occasion so I suggest you examine how that a) affects my opinion of you and b) makes you look a bit of a whining hypocrite. And in fairness you can hardly blame me for criticising you for not having any original thoughts of your own when you do nothing but re-gurgitate what Google finds for you. Is it so difficult to believe you copied my post of a week earlier ?? .. all you ever do is copy what others have said.

I note you posted your little whine about five hours after your threat to report me for "Harassment" ,as I said in my reply to your PM I reported the above posts I made MYSELF to call your bluff and told you if you had a problem to feel free to report me in the future. Obviously when I hadn't been banned by the back of five you felt the need to have a little public cry for attention as your attempt to intimidate me had fallen flatter then the majority of your arguments. If you think anything I have said to you is "personal abuse" you have led a very sheltered life. What I really think about you and your opinions on certain issues would would stretch the moderation limits of far more open minded sites than this to breaking limits.

fred
04-May-10, 17:28
Fred .. In the past I have given you rep for posts and complimented you on your sense of humour. Hardly the actions of someone with a personal grudge. But the simple fact is if that anyone says ANYTHING you don't like you jump on the abuse bandwagon and start crying like a smacked stepchild. You have made deeply personal remarks and insults, specifically designed to hurt and enrage, directly at me on occasion so I suggest you examine how that a) affects my opinion of you and b) makes you look a bit of a whining hypocrite. And in fairness you can hardly blame me for criticising you for not having any original thoughts of your own when you do nothing but re-gurgitate what Google finds for you. Is it so difficult to believe you copied my post of a week earlier ?? .. all you ever do is copy what others have said.

I note you posted your little whine about five hours after your threat to report me for "Harassment" ,as I said in my reply to your PM I reported the above posts I made MYSELF to call your bluff and told you if you had a problem to feel free to report me in the future. Obviously when I hadn't been banned by the back of five you felt the need to have a little public cry for attention as your attempt to intimidate me had fallen flatter then the majority of your arguments. If you think anything I have said to you is "personal abuse" you have led a very sheltered life. What I really think about you and your opinions on certain issues would would stretch the moderation limits of far more open minded sites than this to breaking limits.

Look, I saw a picture on a blog and posted it here, you start making false accusations and causing trouble.

Anything else is just in your imagination.

Now will you stop harassing me please?

The Drunken Duck
04-May-10, 21:57
Look, I saw a picture on a blog and posted it here, you start making false accusations and causing trouble.

Anything else is just in your imagination.

Now will you stop harassing me please?

If you think you are being harassed Fred then report me.

I did not imagine your PM yesterday. You are a Liar for claiming otherwise.

And therefore not worthy of anymore attention.

bekisman
04-May-10, 21:59
Now is it not possible to post anything to this forum without one of a small group of people who all seem to be connected to the armed forces posting personal abuse at me?

My Gawd, you don't half whinge Fred, where's the ubiquitous "bullying" word, can't find it! Presume I'm one of these 'connected to the armed forces' chappies?..

hmm.. left December 1977 (that's c33 years ago).. ;)

fred
04-May-10, 22:05
If you think you are being harassed Fred then report me.

I did not imagine your PM yesterday. You are a Liar for claiming otherwise.

And therefore not worthy of anymore attention.

So now you are calling me a liar, more personal abuse.

You make false accusations that I copied your post, a post I had never even seen then accuse me of being a liar when I prove you wrong.

Boozeburglar
04-May-10, 22:51
Any chance you guys can leave it out for a while? There is a tiny chance people might be interested in discussing the impending election.

I know that is rich coming from me, but you know what I mean.

The Drunken Duck
04-May-10, 23:12
Any chance you guys can leave it out for a while? There is a tiny chance people might be interested in discussing the impending election.

Don't worry mate I am not going to respond to him.

I think he is about to cry. Or go and get his mum. Or maybe even both.

fred
04-May-10, 23:15

Hey I didn't start it, I just posted a picture I saw on a blog I thought people might like, it was the clique waded in with their personal abuse as usual.

cuddlepop
05-May-10, 08:11
Now we've got actors endorsing a particular party,I really dont think thats right.

Some people like my daughter get the boundaries confused and might think they're voting for that particular party because they "adore" that actor.

As for tactical voting I've given up trying to explain that one.:mad:

Its all getting a bit desperate.:roll:

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 09:05
It would be impossible to separate politics from everything else; actors are political figures as is everyone in public or private life.

All things considered, voting along the lines of someone you like or respect is no worse than voting for a party on the basis of a tv debate.

Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger...Glenda Jackson...

cuddlepop
05-May-10, 09:18
It would be impossible to separate politics from everything else; actors are political figures as is everyone in public or private life.

All things considered, voting along the lines of someone you like or respect is no worse than voting for a party on the basis of a tv debate.

Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger...Glenda Jackson...

My point is that Ross Kemp from Eastenders is not standing as a candidate but is saying how wonderfull a particular party is.That can muddy the waters for some vulnerable adults,who are still entitled to vote.

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 09:27
I appreciate what you are saying, but how is it muddying the waters?

Even at the most basic level politics is about what you like versus what you don't like.

Many people seem to be voting for Nick Clegg because he is the youngest. Or best looking.

Is any other reason less valid?

Actors are ordinary human beings with political views.

NickInTheNorth
05-May-10, 09:58
Hi cuddlepop at the risk of getting your thread somewhere close to where it was intended to go, it may be worth taking a look at www.votematch.org.uk (http://www.votematch.org.uk)

It helps to identify the party that most closely matches your own views.

It is very difficult to give a simple statement as to what each of the major parties stand for now, life seems to have become far more complicated, and the parties actual policies have become much more aligned than they once were.

I guess that it would be fair to still categorise the conservative party as the party dedicated to business and the wealthier parts of society. They speak well about removing inequality from society, but a detailed reading of their manifesto shows that they will be following their usual policy of robbing the poor to give to the rich. The "big society" that David Cameron keeps harping on about in reality is allowing "society" that is voluntary groups take over many of the roles that are currently the responsibility of government. I believe it is nothing more than a cynical cost cutting measure dressed up in fancy clothes. Let's not forget that this is the same party that was once led by Margaret "there is no such thing as society" Thatcher!

Labour, are probably still slightly better at looking after the poorer members of society, and if you receive or might receive benefits at any time in your life your interests are likely to be better served by labour policies than conservative. In many respects however Labour are as dedicated to the wealthy in society as the conservatives. Let's not forget in a hurry that the labour government are the party that felt is was necessary to give the banks billions of pounds of our money (and our children's and grand children's!)

Liberal democrats - difficult to categorise really. Very different approaches to the other 2 main parties on many issues, not as beholden to the past as both labour and conservative still appear. Keen to offer different solutions to many of the problems of modern society. Less baggage to carry around and less vested interests in the background leaning on them to do the right thing for the money men.

SNP - afraid they are irrelevant as far as Westminster elections are concerned - but very easy to categorise - Scottish independence regardless of anything else.

To see the details of each parties approach to everything then the BBC website has a good guide - not exactly concise but fairly readable - unfortunately there's a lot of information to present.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/parties_and_issues/default.stm

For the sake of fairness I should perhaps state that I am an ex-raging tory that saw the light and for the past several elections I have been a "floating voter". This time my vote is going to the Liberal Democrats, despite not really being needed in this constituency. For the first time in my life I really believe that every vote counts because when we get a hung parliament I do not believe the politicians will be able to ignore the "popular vote" in their deliberations.

I hope the above is of some help, though it probably isn't :)

fred
05-May-10, 10:05
I appreciate what you are saying, but how is it muddying the waters?

Even at the most basic level politics is about what you like versus what you don't like.

Many people seem to be voting for Nick Clegg because he is the youngest. Or best looking.

Is any other reason less valid?

Actors are ordinary human beings with political views.

It's basic brainwashing, manipulating man's basic instincts to make him do what you want him to do.

Advertisers have been using it for a long time, they pay celebrities millions of pounds to endorse their products because it works, it cons people into buying them whether they're any good or not. People see celebrities as someone they know, one of their herd, someone who can be trusted.

Eastenders is called a soap opera because the format was devised by soap companies to con people into buying their soap powder rather than identical powder from another company purely because they see the people in the program using that powder and they want to conform.

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 10:26
That is your opinion Fred.

Nothing more, as much as you talk as though you have the gift of an elevated insight.

It is very simple really.

A few people who are well known are standing up and being counted for something they believe in.

They have every right.

Politics works on many levels, there is nothing wrong with engaging with it on any particular level and leaving it at that.

You need to get out more Fred, then you might stop assuming everyone else but you is brain washed.

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 10:35
It's basic brainwashing, manipulating man's basic instincts to make him do what you want him to do.

Advertisers have been using it for a long time, they pay celebrities millions of pounds to endorse their products because it works, it cons people into buying them whether they're any good or not. People see celebrities as someone they know, one of their herd, someone who can be trusted.

Eastenders is called a soap opera because the format was devised by soap companies to con people into buying their soap powder rather than identical powder from another company purely because they see the people in the program using that powder and they want to conform.

By the way, what exactly are you saying here?

What do you mean by brainwashing?

Why are you associating actors endorsing products for pay with their appearance on party political material?

Are you having a problem working out that actors are real people in the real world as well as the characters they play?

I don't think Cuddlepop was referring to you when she mentioned vulnerable adults.

What reason do you have to obfuscate the issue?

Sandra_B
05-May-10, 10:39
Thanks for that link Nick, it has helped me sort out my thoughts.

bekisman
05-May-10, 11:28
Drunken Duck and Fred, seemed to be having a vigorous exchange - Fred posting something that DD had already posted, Just a thought; but wondered if fred has got DD on 'Ignore' so he does not 'see' DD's postings? I think I'm on that too - so Fred won't see this either.. Hmm

Back to thread.. NickInTheNorth "SDP - afraid they are irrelevant as far as Westminster elections are concerned - but very easy to categorise - Scottish independence regardless of anything else" Is that SNP Nick? but nevertheless a balanced posting ;)

NickInTheNorth
05-May-10, 11:31
Drunken Duck and Fred, seemed to be having a vigorous exchange - Fred posting something that DD had already posted, Just a thought; but wondered if fred has got DD on 'Ignore' so he does not 'see' DD's postings? I think I'm on that too - so Fred won't see this either.. Hmm

Back to thread.. NickInTheNorth "SDP - afraid they are irrelevant as far as Westminster elections are concerned - but very easy to categorise - Scottish independence regardless of anything else" Is that SNP Nick? but nevertheless a balanced posting ;)

Thanks bekisman - correcting that now :D

horseman
05-May-10, 14:05
At risk of putting my neck on the line-I am with fred on this one. I think he was unfairly jumped on. An I am no going any further with this one.

The Drunken Duck
05-May-10, 15:47
At risk of putting my neck on the line-I am with fred on this one. I think he was unfairly jumped on. An I am no going any further with this one.

Just stating your opinion should not be construed as putting your neck on the line in any way, I am not bothered if you disagree with me. I'm not an Axe Murderer you know .. ;)

As for the thread topic someone mentioned Ross Kemp turning out to support Labour. I have to admit that I was shocked at that when you consider the scathing comments he had for the Government during the two series he filmed for Sky in Afghan. But at the end of the day its his choice, and no one else's. He must have his reasons.

I know of a girl though who is voting Labour tomorrow because Red is her favourite colour. If people are so easily influenced by factors like that its time to take yourself outside and give your head a wobble in my view.

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 15:53
Is voting for a colour any worse than voting on the basis of an incomplete understanding of a party's proposals?

I encountered one person lately who thought bringing back fox hunting was a good thing because they are killing cats in our back gardens now and then. In central London.

Red is a fine colour.

cuddlepop
05-May-10, 17:03

Thats exactly what I'm saying Fred,its "brainwashing".
My favourite actor supports the labour party so thats what I'll do,
My favourite actor drinks Pepsi so thats what I'll do.

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 17:08
Have you ever had advice on a good spot for a holiday from someone you like or respect?

Did they brainwash you?

cuddlepop
05-May-10, 17:17
Have you ever had advice on a good spot for a holiday from someone you like or respect?

Did they brainwash you?

I'm talking about explain this type of Politics to a vunerable easily influenced individual here not just anyone.:(

Yes I'd want to look at that holiday destination aswell as others but "some" would only want to go there without inquiring about other possibilities because so and so said so,so it must be "great".:confused

fred
05-May-10, 19:29
That is your opinion Fred.

I think it stands to reason that a company wouldn't pay someone millions of pounds to endorse their product if it didn't cause millions of people to buy that product who wouldn't otherwise have bought it.

So it is simple logic that the right celebrity endorsing a political party could cause millions of people to vote for it who wouldn't otherwise have voted for it.

ducati
05-May-10, 20:20
I think it stands to reason that a company wouldn't pay someone millions of pounds to endorse their product if it didn't cause millions of people to buy that product who wouldn't otherwise have bought it.

So it is simple logic that the right celebrity endorsing a political party could cause millions of people to vote for it who wouldn't otherwise have voted for it.

I really don't think Machael Caine did anything for the Conservatives, do you? :lol:

fred
05-May-10, 20:34
I really don't think Machael Caine did anything for the Conservatives, do you? :lol:

Sean Connery did plenty for the SNP.

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 20:41

Fred.

It is analogous to a person using their position to promote a product they actually use and believe in, for no pay.

Anyone who believes in the ideals of any party should be able to get involved at any level they wish to.

That is freedom of expression.

Is Glenda Jackson brainwashing anyone?

Joanna Lumley was brainwashing people?

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 20:47
I'm talking about explain this type of Politics to a vunerable easily influenced individual here not just anyone.:(

Yes I'd want to look at that holiday destination aswell as others but "some" would only want to go there without inquiring about other possibilities because so and so said so,so it must be "great".:confused

I appreciate that the milieu of the individual gets lost in the stampede to power.

However I don't think democracy would be better served by restricting political parties in their promotional techniques, unless they are shown to be underhand.

Advocacy issues are complicated at the best of times, I feel for you and your dilemma.

fred
05-May-10, 20:50
Fred.

It is analogous to a person using their position to promote a product they actually use and believe in, for no pay.

Anyone who believes in the ideals of any party should be able to get involved at any level they wish to.

That is freedom of expression.

Is Glenda Jackson brainwashing anyone?

Joanna Lumley was brainwashing people?

Would that be Glenda Jackson C.B.E. and Joanna Lumley O.B.E?

Boozeburglar
05-May-10, 20:55
What has that got to do with it??????

Maybe your brain does need washing!

fred
05-May-10, 21:48
What has that got to do with it??????

Maybe your brain does need washing!

Michael Cain C.B.E., Sir Sean Connery.

bekisman
05-May-10, 22:20
Sir Ross Kemp

Boozeburglar
06-May-10, 00:31
Sir Ross Kemp!!!! LMAO!!!!

That would definitely be a bridge too far! :)

Anfield
06-May-10, 01:22
In the days when honours are bestowed on people for the least tenable reasons i.e. Sir Alex Ferguson (has still not achieved in 20+ years what Bob Paisley did in 5) VAT fraudster Sir Richard Branson, Sir Elton John (offences against music) and Sir Cliff Richards (help me on this one) is there any real honour in being granted a "gong"

Also, why do current and ex military staff always end up being granted honours?

I would not consider being part of an organisation that only exists to kill or maim people as being honourable, after all look at the outrage on the front pages of the red tops when the supposed Lockerbie bomber was released, and was treated as a hero when he returned to Libya.

Some of our Generals/Colonels/Majors/Lieutenants/Captains/LieutenantColonels etc (and their American equivalents) have just as much blood on their hands as any fundarmentalist resistance fighter/suicide bomber, and yet when they finish their careers are they prosecuted for being war criminals, no they are given another medal, and no doubt an increase in pension, then a nice day out to meet Mrs Windsor

Boozeburglar
06-May-10, 01:32
. . . and that folks, is what you should take into consideration when setting the b.s. barometer regarding the campaign being waged here against Lord Lucan.

Bazeye
06-May-10, 01:44
I would not consider being part of an organisation that only exists to kill or maim people as being honourable, after all look at the outrage on the front pages of the red tops when the supposed Lockerbie bomber was released, and was treated as a hero when he returned to Libya.

How is he these days, he was on deaths door when he was released wasnt he? Or am I just getting cynical in my old age?

Aaldtimer
06-May-10, 03:46
. . . and that folks, is what you should take into consideration when setting the b.s. barometer regarding the campaign being waged here against Lord Lucan.

What campaign would that be then BB?:confused

The Drunken Duck
06-May-10, 09:47
Blimey. Whats up with Anfield and all this hate ??

I reckon he came home one night to find his missus his missus "on Ops" with a couple of the nations finest carrying out a pincer attack. If it was your missus in Elgin in 1998 I am sorry, it was a last resort so I didn't have to listen that piercing Cilla Black whine anymore. But she was a "lorra lorra" fun.

Your just jealous mate. A couple of medals on a dress uniform can snap knicker elastic on entering a room. You should consider getting one. After all no woman dreams of bagging herself a guy who can moan on the Internet REALLY well .. ;)

Anfield
06-May-10, 12:39
Blimey. Whats up with Anfield and all this hate ??

I reckon he came home one night to find his missus his missus "on Ops" with a couple of the nations finest carrying out a pincer attack. If it was your missus in Elgin in 1998 I am sorry, it was a last resort so I didn't have to listen that piercing Cilla Black whine anymore. But she was a "lorra lorra" fun.

Your just jealous mate. A couple of medals on a dress uniform can snap knicker elastic on entering a room. You should consider getting one. After all no woman dreams of bagging herself a guy who can moan on the Internet REALLY well .. ;)

My ex wife with a guy from the forces? The last time I saw her it did not look like she had had a lobotomy

And whilst you were in Elgin, I was in the Dale army camp admiring all the lovely bedroom furniture that you brought back from Germany.

Cilla Black? you have spent more time in Liverpool than she has in last 40 years. Bought her mum a nice detached house in Walton with massive grounds and has not been back since.

As for medals being a puller magnet, they maybe OK for slappers, but if you want class, A V12 XJS and then BMW635csi worked for me everytime

Murdina Bug
06-May-10, 13:48
Cuddlepop - it might be too late by now but I have just come across this site: www.pocketpolitics.co.uk/compare/start.html (http://www.pocketpolitics.co.uk/compare/start.html)

It sets out the main policy points of all parties in various categories. I'm still 'undecided' so hoping this will help me make up my mind too.

cuddlepop
06-May-10, 14:38
Cuddlepop - it might be too late by now but I have just come across this site: www.pocketpolitics.co.uk/compare/start.html (http://www.pocketpolitics.co.uk/compare/start.html)

It sets out the main policy points of all parties in various categories. I'm still 'undecided' so hoping this will help me make up my mind too.

Thanks for that Link and thank you Nick too it was appreciated you took the time to help me.

Voting done and dusted this morning,with the question mark as to why dont we just vote for who we want as prime minister still not satisfiedly answered.:confused

The Drunken Duck
06-May-10, 14:48
My ex wife with a guy from the forces? The last time I saw her it did not look like she had had a lobotomy

And whilst you were in Elgin, I was in the Dale army camp admiring all the lovely bedroom furniture that you brought back from Germany.

Cilla Black? you have spent more time in Liverpool than she has in last 40 years. Bought her mum a nice detached house in Walton with massive grounds and has not been back since.

As for medals being a puller magnet, they maybe OK for slappers, but if you want class, A V12 XJS and then BMW635csi worked for me everytime

Sorry but I was in the RAF and lived in a block, all I took back from Germany was a massive amount of Beer. You nicked some poor squaddies stuff !! .. did you nick his hubcaps too ?? .. talk about reinforcing a stereotype.

BMW ?? .. posers car. .. Jaguar ?? .. well yes, but you have to get the right one. A REALLY quick one. Like the one in the pic below. That's me in the back seat of the left hand one during a quick spin I got as a leaving present .. :cool:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6827/76403014vbp2udjcjags003.jpg

ducati
06-May-10, 15:12
Sir Cliff Richards (help me on this one)

Still alive, despite all the evidence to the contrary

the young ones, darling we're the young ones.........[lol]

Anfield
06-May-10, 21:06
Sorry but I was in the RAF and lived in a block, all I took back from Germany was a massive amount of Beer. You nicked some poor squaddies stuff !! .. did you nick his hubcaps too ?? .. talk about reinforcing a stereotype.

My spare wheel was worth more than the combined values of the 4 or 5 cars on that close.

BMW ?? .. posers car. .. Jaguar ?? .. well yes, but you have to get the right one. A REALLY quick one. Like the one in the pic below.

As the song goes "That don't impress me much"

That's me in the back seat of the left hand one during a quick spin I got as a leaving present .

So let me get this straight. Instead of driving a nice car and having a gorgeous, Julia Roberts lookalike, beside you, you would sooner be stuck in a cockpit, to the rear of a guy who is wearing a helmet and straps and having a quick spin with him.

That is so weird, I do hope you had your P.P.E. on

northener
06-May-10, 21:17
Beemer? XJS?

Tut, tut, Anfield.

I thought you were hardcore left wing - not a champagne socialist......:Razz

Ooooh..(dim light goes on in bonce) it all fits!

You're Derek Hatton![lol]

Can i have your autograph, Degsy..an' how much did that number plate cost you?

The Drunken Duck
06-May-10, 23:44
My spare wheel was worth more than the combined values of the 4 or 5 cars on that close.

As the song goes "That don't impress me much"

So let me get this straight. Instead of driving a nice car and having a gorgeous, Julia Roberts lookalike, beside you, you would sooner be stuck in a cockpit, to the rear of a guy who is wearing a helmet and straps and having a quick spin with him.

That is so weird, I do hope you had your P.P.E. on

Hang on ..

You think XJS's and BMW's are nice cars, like Shania Twain tunes (I had to google that song title) and think going for a drive in the country with a Julia Roberts "lookalike" is the very best of thrills.

But .. on occasion I got paid to fly to an airshow in a multi million pound fast jet, using fuel that your taxes paid for, and spend a weekend chatting up women, meeting the public generally posing about and raising money for charity while I do it. Then I get flown home via a low level blast through Wales at 8 miles a minute at 250 feet, again being paid to do something that only VERY rich civvies can ever afford, and that's .. weird ??

Your right .. I wasted my life .. :lol:

Anfield
07-May-10, 00:18
Beemer? XJS?

Tut, tut, Anfield.

I thought you were hardcore left wing - not a champagne socialist......

I remember Derek Hatton being interviewed by Terry Wogan in Wogans TV show during the Liverpool Budget Crisis and the drift was along the lines of:
".. you ask me to come 200 miles to appear in a national TV programme, I represent a city in dispute with Margaret Thatcher, a city, like many others in need of investment.... and the first question you ask me is "Who makes my suits?"". I think he might have walked off at this point.

The cars I owned, plus the boats and Rolex/Omega watches, were as a result of me working hard, and not through being born with either a silver spoon or the benefits of nepotism
I am proud of what Militant achieved in Liverpool in the early 80's, a summary of which follows this post. If the TUC and Neil Kinnocks New Labour party had supported us we could have defeated Thatcher, instead we have witnessed the destruction of a socialist Labour Party, caused by Kinnock and his "champagne socialists" who in 1992 "snatched defeat from the jaws of victory". Blair, followed by Brown have ensured that the Labour part is now so far removed from the working class that they as well change their name to Conservative.
In addition we had to endure for a further 12 years a Conservative governments who sold off our assets to investors and in the process conned Joe Public into buying shares in companies like BT & British gas etc, companies which they already owned before Thatcher sold them off.

I voted Labour today, not because I thought that their candidate was the best for me , but because I thought he was the best of a bad bunch.

I expect SLD in this area to win today, and until the other parties come up with better candidates, will continue to win, even if they put a stuffed monkey up as candidate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When looking at figures below, remember they are nearly 30 years old

6,300 families rehoused from tenements, flats and maisonettes
• 2,873 tenement flats demolished
• 1,315 walk-up flats demolished
• 2,086 flats/maisonettes demolished
• 4,800 houses and bungalows built
• 7,400 houses and flats improved
• 600 houses/bungalows created by ‘top-downing’ 1,315 walk-up flats
• 25 new Housing Action Areas being developed
• 6 new nursery classes built and open
• 17 Community Comprehensive Schools established following a massive re-organisation
• £10million spent on school improvements
• Five new sports centres, one with a leisure pool attached, built and open
• Two thousand additional jobs provided for in Liverpool City Council Budget
• Ten thousand people per year employed on Council’s Capital Programme
• Three new parks built
• Rents frozen for five years

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=928844

golach
07-May-10, 00:25
sorry anfield........who up here gives a fart what happens to Liverpool and that area

Anfield
07-May-10, 01:38
Hang on ..

But .. on occasion I spend a weekend chatting up women,

What about the other occasions, who do you chat up ?

Are your chat up lines so bad that you need to spend a whole weekend on chatting a women up

Those that can, do it
Those that can't, join the RAF.
Those who are incapable join the Army, and
Those, who wouldn't join the navy

Anfield
07-May-10, 01:42
sorry anfield........who up here gives a fart what happens to Liverpool and that area

Northener, perhaps? and I think you will find that there a quite a few people from Merseyside live up here now.

Andfield
07-May-10, 08:16
And more of us Champagne Socialist Scousers are arriving daily. [lol]

cuddlepop
07-May-10, 09:08
I'd lock this thread but its actually quiet funny.;)

Worse than a playground squabble.....but at least I got what I wanted before mayhem started.:roll:

The Drunken Duck
07-May-10, 10:08
What about the other occasions, who do you chat up ?

Are your chat up lines so bad that you need to spend a whole weekend on chatting a women up

Those that can, do it
Those that can't, join the RAF.
Those who are incapable join the Army, and
Those, who wouldn't join the navy

Sorry Anfield .. but whats "it" ?? .. :lol: .. Worst. Poem. Ever. It doesn't even make sense. "Cannot" and "Incapable" are the same thing aren't they ??, they can certainly both be used to describe your point making abilities within a sentence.

Its OK to be jealous, not everyone can make the grade. A basic ability to read and understand what is written in front of them is a needed. As is the capability to make coherent arguments from what you do read. And a sense of humour helps too. Not to worry, I am sure that with your level of all three you could attain a uniformed position that matches your abilities. Car park attendant for instance.

As much fun as it is watching you fight the inner guilt that you couldn't make the grade I have to go now I am afraid, I am off for a weekend break with the missus.

I would take my Jag or BMW to impress her .. but I don't have one. Because I don't need one to impress the ladies .. ;)

Andfield
07-May-10, 10:23
Apparently these large motors are bought (nicked where I come from) by males who are somewhat lacking in the procreation department.

I heard somewhere that the purchase of Lolex watches stems from a similiar impediment.[lol]

Now here is some news on the late (not) lamented DEG5SY Hatton, that well known Left Wing scally (is there a definite similarity with someone near you who drives a flash car and wears a flash watch) :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1120184/From-Leftie-Loadsamoney-How-Derek-Hatton-millions-dodgy-property-deals-Cyprus.html