PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a job at sea ?

weegie
29-Apr-10, 11:26
How do I go about getting a job on a fishing boat ?

Ive had a good look online and I dont have the contacts that would perhaps be beneficial so if anyone has any info or can put me in touch with someone I would be most grateful

thanks

Boozeburglar
29-Apr-10, 11:33
Where are you based, and do you have transport?

weegie
29-Apr-10, 11:50
Hi im based in Wick and I dont drive at the moment

Boozeburglar
29-Apr-10, 12:05
OK, a pal of mine needs some occasional help but he is way down the West coast so that is a non starter.

Creels anyway.

Have you gone down and asked the skippers at the harbour?

annthracks
29-Apr-10, 13:05
Have you tried asking at the jobcentre for info? or the harbour? I was going to suggest Scrabster but not driving is not good.
I think there is also a course you need to do before anyone will take you on (they may even pay for it, but I'm not sure about that)

sweetpea
29-Apr-10, 13:10
It may help to do your Sea Survival/Firefighting. It's done through Mallaig Marine. They often do the courses at Scrabster. You need the certs for insurance purposes.

Fisherbigin
29-Apr-10, 13:13
Sea survival/safety awareness courses and prepared to work long hours.:cool:

annthracks
29-Apr-10, 13:14
That's the one :-)

golach
29-Apr-10, 13:16
try here

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/Fishing_Scotland_l1629_t3.html

weegie
29-Apr-10, 18:46
Thanks for your help so far any more info would be appreciated

Anfield
29-Apr-10, 18:48
Go down to harbours and ask around

Joey
29-Apr-10, 18:53
A mate of mines says that the Queensbeery in Wick was looking for a crewman. May be worth a try. Think it's a scallop dredger

weegie
29-Apr-10, 20:05
thanks again for all the help , whens the best time to go to the arbour ie is it best first thing or what ?

evelyn
30-Apr-10, 00:27
There`s not really a specific good time weegie, as boats come and go according to the tide, crew availability etc.
Best thing is if you are really keen just go down on spec any time you can and speak to the guys you see working around the boats. That`s probably better than going through the job centre.
I come from a fishing family myself and know only too well the difficulties in the industry in general. Scrabster is for sure a busier port but it may be difficult to get yourself through there as often as it would need to get yourself known.
There is also the diving company Fathoms at Wick. Maybe an idea to go down and offer services there, or put your name down for consideration. It`s not fishing, but they employ guys on the support vessels as deck hands.
You will need basic sea survival course though . One day Courses are run in Stromness in Orkney. maybe the broo can put you through that to start with.
Good luck in your job seeking, but mind the sea is a way of life rather than a job. One thing I do know is that a lot of the small boats boats are being craned in to the harbour this weekend for the summer. There will be a lot of guys on the go. Might be worth going down and offering a hand in any way you can. Never know what might turn up.

weegie
30-Apr-10, 10:11
Thanks again everyone for the posts and PMs , cheers evelyn in particular

achingale
30-Apr-10, 10:11
Hope you manage to find something. Let us know how you get on.