PDA

View Full Version : Things your mam said.

angela5
03-Jun-06, 18:00
"My mum used to say to me, 'If you pull that face and the wind changes, you'll stick like it'. I used to stick my head out of the 14th floor of the flats we lived in at the time just to see if it would work. The most annoying is when she wanted to call me and my sister at the same time. I am Angela and my sister is Amanda, so she just used to say 'Mange'. How horrid is that? And the one I used to like most was, 'Don't speak to me that way'. Well, how would you like to speak to you then, in French?" :lol:

"'Don't come running to me when you break your legs' was one of my mum's favourites. One thing she used to say when I was asking 'How long 'til dinner?' and if I could help, was 'The best you can do to help is to keep out of my way!'. I can understand this now!" :lol:

Billy Boy
03-Jun-06, 18:05
my mum used to say to me, wait till your father get's home,i used to run and hide under ma bed[lol]

Billy Boy
03-Jun-06, 18:11
mrs billy's mam used to say to her.. you'll laugh on the other side of yer face in a minuite and another one was if you dont ask you wont get but, she also used to tell her dont ask its bad manners. (she's still hasnt worked out the logic of them till this day) :lol:

angela5
03-Jun-06, 18:16
Another was, if you pick a dandelion you'll wet the bed. I was terrified of picking them and never picked a single one all through my childhood.
She also used to ask, 'Do you want a thick ear?' - like I'm going to say 'Yes please!'. :lol:

cuddlepop
03-Jun-06, 18:25
a favourite of my mothers was . will you hurry up and take your time, still confuses me to this day.:eek:

changilass
03-Jun-06, 18:33
If we were misbehaving, mum used to tell us to be good or she would "pull off our arm and hit us with the soggy end", didn't do much good cos we thought it was funny.l

Got into trouble off my nana, when she was telling me off for having no patience, and answered her back with a poem my sister taught me:-

Patience is a virtue
Virtue is a Grace
Grace is a dirty girl
who wouldn't wash her face,

sister had got into trouble over this years earlier lol

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 18:24
I was told If the ice cream van played his song it meant he had run out of ice cream.:roll:

connieb19
04-Jun-06, 18:27
I was told that the tooth fairie clocked off at 7pm..:(

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 18:32
don't screw your face up it will stay that way.
eat up your carrots it will make you see in the dark.
eat your crusts it will make your hair curly
don't worry about the bogey man.:eek:

elaine
04-Jun-06, 20:16
I came across this and thought it was apt!!

1. My mother taught me to APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me about RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My mother taught me about LOGIC.
"Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me about FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

6. My mother taught me about IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

7. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

8. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks like a tornado went through it."

9. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

10. My mother taught me about the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

11. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
"Stop acting like your father!"

12. My mother taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

13. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."

14. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
"You are going to get it when you get home!"

15. My mother taught me about MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."

16. My mother taught me about ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you'll be cold?"

17. My mother taught me about HUMOR.
"When that lawnmower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

18. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

19. My mother taught me about GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."

20. My mother taught me about WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand.

21. My mother taught me about SHARING.
" I’m going to give you a piece of my mind!"

22. My mother taught me about FEAR.
"One day you'll have a child who'll do the same things to you."

unicorn
04-Jun-06, 20:22
I remember being told to pull my socks up and when I did it I got a slap on the lug for being cheeky :) I didn't know what it meant!!

pultneytooner
04-Jun-06, 20:29
I remember being told to pull my socks up and when I did it I got a slap on the lug for being cheeky I didn't know what it meant!!
Slap on the lug.[lol]

connieb19
04-Jun-06, 20:30
I remember a teacher telling me to shut up or get out, then she went berserk when I went out..:confused

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Jun-06, 20:35
Mither would say"If I hear ye saying those words again,I'll wash your mouth out wi' soap and water.".So one day I took her too far and she did.

Was blowing Tiny Bubbles(c. Sydney Devine) for days after!!!:lol: :lol:

Billy Boy
04-Jun-06, 20:38
Mither would say"If I hear ye saying those words again,I'll wash your mouth out wi' soap and water.".So one day I took her too far and she did.

Was blowing Tiny Bubbles(c. Sydney Devine) for days after!!!:lol:

yo! lol, a remember ma granny washing ma uncle's mouth out with carbolic soap cos she caught him swearing yuk!![evil]
kids nowadays dont know how lucky they are.

angela5
04-Jun-06, 22:56
yo! lol, a remember ma granny washing ma uncle's mouth out with carbolic soap cos she caught him swearing yuk!![evil]
kids nowadays dont know how lucky they are.

Kid's are lucky nowaday's it's imperial leather soap,:lol: gone are the day's of carbolic soap.

Astra
04-Jun-06, 23:26
My mither use to tell me when i went fishing if you fall in and drown do come running to me .??????

pedromcgrory
05-Jun-06, 01:16
My mither use to tell me when i went fishing if you fall in and drown do come running to me .??????reminds me of childhood that one lol

dunderheed
06-Jun-06, 13:10
i too was told that when the tally van chimed (ice cream van) it meant they were sold out.
the other one my mother was "big" on was shouting bangladesh at me and my sister if we didnt eat all our dinners .(this was implying that kids in bangladesh would kill for what we hadn't eaten).
of embarrising her was a classic though , when she went to the butchers for a bone for our dog , i would cry out "oh
great mum are we getting a dog?"

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jun-06, 15:15
Remember ma mither telling me if I ate Spinach that I would turn into Popeye.

Fair enough,did I get his muscles..........no.Did I start to smoke a pipe...........no.Did I get his hairstyle..........aye!!!!!:lol:

squidge
06-Jun-06, 17:05
I used to tell the kids that they couldnt get up before it was light on Christmas day cos the presents were magic and if you peeped in before it was light they all disappeared. I was never ever ever woken at 5am wanting to play with their pressies.

My mum used to say "I want doesnt get" and " do you want a good hiding young lady" and "right - lets get going" usually when the washing up or tidying up needed doing - she still does it now. We tell her its going to be her epitaph

obiron
06-Jun-06, 19:28
mrs billy's mam used to say to her.. you'll laugh on the other side of yer face in a minuite and another one was if you dont ask you wont get but, she also used to tell her dont ask its bad manners. (she's still hasnt worked out the logic of them till this day) :lol:

yes i had the laugh on the other side of your face too.
when i was right cheeky i used to get i'll put you out the painted side of the door when i said back that it was varnished not painted used to get in more trouble.

had the mouth washed out with soap too. usually for rude words.

Billy Boy
06-Jun-06, 21:53
A little soap & water never killed anybody.

As long as you live under my roof, you'll do as I say.

Close the door! You don't live in a barn. :lol:

Bored! How can you be bored? I was never bored at your age.

Do you think I'm made of money?[lol]

Don't go out with a wet head, you'll catch cold.

Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been.

mccaugm
06-Jun-06, 22:41
The sad fact is....I have said almost all of those phrases to my kids at one point or another.. *blushes*...

dunderheed
08-Jun-06, 09:29
remembered this one last night-

i'll knock the taste out yer mouth!!

Sporran
15-Jun-06, 05:03
My granny (mum's mum) used to have more sayings than anyone I've ever known. The one I've found to be often true is "The more hurry, the less speed." Sometimes if you rush too much, you mess up what you're doing and have to start all over again!