PDA

View Full Version : HMS Jervis Bay

Fluff
27-Apr-10, 22:54
Are there any orgers who are related to any of the sailors of HMS Jervis Bay (sunk 1940) about?
HMS Jervis Bay was manned by alot of Wickers, Wikipedia tells me there is a plaque in Wick.

In July, a scale replica is going to be unveiled of the Jervis Bay, our Sea Cadet unit is TS Jervis Bay (the only one!) and we are hopefully going to go and watch it!
If anyone has any history or info related to the sinking etc can they let me know, I am trying to compile a info sheet for the cadets!

Stack Rock
28-Apr-10, 07:26
If you search this site & the John O'groat Journal website you'll get more info. One of my retired workmates father & uncle were on the boat and got rescued to Nova Scotia. The boat had a large contingent of Caithness sailors.

burstbucker
28-Apr-10, 09:19
My gradfather was one of the survivors, you can get a great insight into the sinking by getting a copy of the book, 'If the Gods are Good'.

Rourkee
28-Apr-10, 12:42
The Jervis Bay was sunk on the 5th of November 1940. "If the gods are good" is a very interesting read.

Tighsonas4
28-Apr-10, 12:56
dont know if there are any relatives on the org but theres many around . if memory serves me aright there was 14 locals aboard. seven were lost and seven survived two brothers were amongst the survivors but cant go in to names or details here
the book that was qouted is as near as can be found now
if you try google for hms jervis bay it may well come
regards tony

BIG BLUE
28-Apr-10, 15:10
My uncle(my mothers brother) was lost on the Jarvis bay i wasnt born when it happened so cant be of much help im afraid, my brother has been going on at me for years to go with him to visit the site or get as close as we can anyway, one day we will.

Henrik7
28-Apr-10, 15:16
My Great Grandad survived the HMS Jervis Bay.

You could try this link:

http://www.internet-promotions.co.uk/archives/caithness/jervisbay.htm

Bazeye
28-Apr-10, 16:41
Built in Barrow I think, wasnt it?

south view 7
28-Apr-10, 19:13
Are there any orgers who are related to any of the sailors of HMS Jervis Bay (sunk 1940) about?
HMS Jervis Bay was manned by alot of Wickers, Wikipedia tells me there is a plaque in Wick.

In July, a scale replica is going to be unveiled of the Jervis Bay, our Sea Cadet unit is TS Jervis Bay (the only one!) and we are hopefully going to go and watch it!
If anyone has any history or info related to the sinking etc can they let me know, I am trying to compile a info sheet for the cadets!
Go to www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/jervisbay (http://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/jervisbay)

flowertot
28-Apr-10, 19:29
My Grandad was a survivor on this boat. I remember seeing a photo in my mum's house of the crew of it.

linglas
29-Apr-10, 13:19
my grandad was lost on the jervis bay. my mum an dad went over to Canada nearly 10 years ago now for the 60th anniversary. It was my family that organised for the plaque to be put up for the men that lost their lives from caithness.:) we have a few pictures an poems an newspaper cuttings about it