PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up - SschmeanUp!!

Photographer
27-Apr-10, 20:34
Throughout Caithness the roadsides are a disgrace???

I would say a big YES!

One school (well motivated I am sure & well done) has tried to clean up a bit. Yippee!!

Stop dropping the stuff at lunchtime!
Stop throwing it out of your car!
Stop putting your lunch wrappings in the Tesco bag and leaving it where you parked!
Stop letting said bags fly about to land on hedges and fences everywhere!
Stop being a stupid, ignorant, antisocial lawbreaking 'Litter Lout'!

START caring!!
START considering others!!
START by first taking YOUR RUBBISH HOME!!!!
START by putting YOUR RUBBISH IN THE BIN!!!

Do you see how easy it is?

If you don't care, then eventually nor will anyone - about anything :-( !!!

Photographer
27-Apr-10, 21:07
No one agree?

No one Disagree?

No one CARE?

joxville
27-Apr-10, 21:14
We all care, we're just not used to being dictated to.

ducati
27-Apr-10, 21:16
Absolutely agree. And it is very tame here compared with other areas of the country. Try x100 with McDonalds, KFC, Burgerking et all wrappers.

And the main culprits are local, not tourists, before anyone brings that up :mad:

I have a property surrounded by hedges and they are very good at 'sampling' what is blowing about the county. 3 times a week is the average I need to clean up.

Photographer
27-Apr-10, 21:17
Not dictating.

Nope. More like asking?

Do we care enough to just take our own rubbish home or not?

It is the thin end of the wedge etc.......

John Little
27-Apr-10, 21:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvFsMe8_NIM&playnext_from=TL&videos=cAoI5EouRi4

joxville
27-Apr-10, 21:23
It start with the parents, from an early age my son was taught to put rubbish in bins. Even now as a teenager, he empties his pockets when he gets home and puts his empty wrappers in the bin, or if outside he'll pick up his friends rubbish and put in the nearest waste bin, though it's partly driven by him being an animal lover, he would hate to think of one choking on someone's waste.

Unfortunately he's not very good at tidying his room. :roll:

Moira
27-Apr-10, 21:23
Any photographs?

Care to name & shame?

Photographer
27-Apr-10, 21:29
Thank you John.

However. The people who drop the stuff here, stay here?

Do we let them get away with it?

If not, hoe do we go about shaking the B'jeeeeezs out of 'em?

Not really. I am serious about this caring/education thing.

Instead of grabbing headlines for clearing up a bit of litter, should the same students be so aware of their responsibilities for our surroundings that the litter is halved simply by them not dropping the stuff in the first place.

Plus us - and visitors of course.

By the way have you seen the rubbish hidden under the bushes at the exit side of Tescos in Thurso. OOOOH Boy!

Photographer
27-Apr-10, 21:35
Any photographs?

Care to name & shame?

Love to - but - dont have a way of posting pics (which I have) at the moment.
Will have a go in the morrow.

Never thought of posting pics - bean caught out ;-(

John Little
27-Apr-10, 21:40
In Leicester they have been using the CCTV to name and shame on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_cvPNC2Oqw&playnext_from=TL&videos=LqeB1tK_01k

Moira
27-Apr-10, 21:44
Love to - but - dont have a way of posting pics (which I have) at the moment.
Will have a go in the morrow.

Never thought of posting pics - bean caught out ;-(

You're a Photographer and you've never thought of posting photographs? Lol, never heard that before. Never mind. Take your time and consider how much rubbish will be discarded along the ditches & hedgrerows of Caithness before you fathom it out. :)

Rictina
27-Apr-10, 21:48
Its not often that I am in the Caithness area, but I can honestly say that I cannot see a great issue here compared to other areas of Scotland.

Sorry, but this is just my humble opinion.

ducati
27-Apr-10, 21:53

What about arrest and fine? :mad:

John Little
27-Apr-10, 21:55
Whit? The Polis???/

LOLOLOLOLOL!!

Moira
27-Apr-10, 22:02

What about arrest and fine? :mad:

Whit? The Polis???/

LOLOLOLOLOL!!

Leave it out guys. The OP is obviously struggling. Give him/her a fighting chance. :)

ywindythesecond
27-Apr-10, 23:20
You're a Photographer and you've never thought of posting photographs? Lol, never heard that before. Never mind. Take your time and consider how much rubbish will be discarded along the ditches & hedgrerows of Caithness before you fathom it out. :)
Try this photographer.
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=8018&highlight=upload+photos

Gronnuck
27-Apr-10, 23:25
If you really want to see litter have a look at Princes Street in Edinburgh or in West Princes Street Gardens all through the summer. If that shocks you have a walk down Easter Road on bin day. :eek:
You could have a look at Whitburn, Armadale or Blackburn in West Lothian any day of the week.
IMHO Caithness is positively pristine in comparison with many other areas of Scotland. :D

ywindythesecond
27-Apr-10, 23:27
Its not often that I am in the Caithness area, but I can honestly say that I cannot see a great issue here compared to other areas of Scotland.

Sorry, but this is just my humble opinion.

I have only been in Caithness for ten years and, apart from windblown debris and school lunchtime rubbish, the county was pretty clean. Not so nowadays, and just because it is not as bad as other places is no good reason not to be concerned about it getting worse.
Many years ago a law was passed that allowed people to be fined £10 for littering. Anyone ever heard of any prosecutions?
Litter wardens with the power to impose instant fines would be self-financing and would transform urban society in a trice. The message would get out.

golach
27-Apr-10, 23:34
If that shocks you have a walk down Easter Road on bin day.
AYE RIGHT!!!!!!!!! we have proper "Scaffies" in Easter Rd as well as many bins, only time there is rubbish there is when that crowd from Gorgie come over.[disgust]

wifie
28-Apr-10, 02:16
AYE RIGHT!!!!!!!!! we have proper "Scaffies" in Easter Rd as well as many bins, only time there is rubbish there is when that crowd from Gorgie come over.[disgust]

Light the blue touch paper, Gronnuck, and . . . . . . . . . . . retire! ;)

On the subject of litter I remembered this -

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=27796&highlight=litter

at least you got some replies Photographer!

I think littering is dreadful and unnecessary! It is everywhere tho! I walk a fair bit and perfectly beautiful and out of the way spots have litter!

There is a long straight on the way to where I live and one day I was driving behind a massive lorry on it's way to the recycling centre. The cover to the load was not secure and litter was flying from the back of the lorry onto the roadside! A few days later on the same straight I witnessed litter pickers filling bags - job creation at it's worst perhaps? This country is going to the dogs in many more ways than one cos a large percentage of the population just don't give a damn!

Photographer
29-Apr-10, 19:01
http://macmate.macace.net/~sharkeyward@macace.net/_3130109W.jpg

First of many over the road from Castletowns school.

changilass
29-Apr-10, 19:13
In the time it took you to take the pic you could have picked the rubbish up and there wouldn't be a problem :lol:

Photographer
29-Apr-10, 19:43
At the time I was supposed to be photographing the spring flowers!
http://macmate.macace.net/~sharkeyward@macace.net/Rubbish03.jpg

In excess of twenty bits of rubbish! :-(

Photographer
29-Apr-10, 20:05
These do not cover the small area I was trying to get lovely spring images from. Some hopes. :(

http://macmate.macace.net/~sharkeyward@macace.net/Rubbish04.jpg

Yes I could of picked up all the rubbish I saw but to what end?

Employ myself for the next whatever clearing the banks and brays of the worlds crap - No!

I'll do my best to be tidy and be responsible AND by making a bit of a stink here and there, maybe make a difference.:confused

spurtle
29-Apr-10, 20:49
We once had someone from a florists in Wick dumping the ribbons, cellophane etc, and so much of it, our dog had been sick from having eaten the sachets, it was all dumped under a bridge.We bundled it into the car and drove into town. Walked into the shop dumping said rubbish on their floor in front of their customers and said "I believe this is yours". Didn't wait for a response.

Photographer
29-Apr-10, 21:39
I went out of my way to publish a few pics as requested. I don't produce images for the web usually, so had to figure out a way to suite me so that I could show you what I saw.

Oh well, I suppose this will slip down the list of passed points! :(

Bound for the rubbish tip of life. ;)

Photographer
29-Apr-10, 22:24
Thank you for the PM 'wifie'. All points noted.

wifie
29-Apr-10, 22:26

Yer welcome - I hate litter too! [evil]

fender
30-Apr-10, 06:58
We once had someone from a florists in Wick dumping the ribbons, cellophane etc, and so much of it, our dog had been sick from having eaten the sachets, it was all dumped under a bridge.We bundled it into the car and drove into town. Walked into the shop dumping said rubbish on their floor in front of their customers and said "I believe this is yours". Didn't wait for a response.

Nice one. Would have liked to have witnessed this.

ducati
30-Apr-10, 07:19
I went out of my way to publish a few pics as requested. I don't produce images for the web usually, so had to figure out a way to suite me so that I could show you what I saw.

Oh well, I suppose this will slip down the list of passed points! :(

Bound for the rubbish tip of life. ;)

Don't be despondent, you have raised awareness of an important issue, the people who don’t litter have felt smug, the ones that clean it up have felt saintly and the ones that drop it may think next time.

Result :cool:

Kenn
30-Apr-10, 09:32
I too and others have raised this point in the past as it makes me very annoyed to see the country side littered.
A classic case recently was a refridgerator and what looked like the remains of some kitchen units on the side of the road close to the southern end of Loch Calder.What baffles me is the mentality of people who deliberately drive all that way when there is a large re-cycle centre in Thurso which is free.
Whilst I appreciate that the wind can scatter plastic, just look at any wire fencing, surely a little more care could make a great difference.
Oh and whilst I'm on the subject, what's the thinking behind all the abondoned cars and farm machinery in the strangest of locations?

ducati
30-Apr-10, 09:38
Oh and whilst I'm on the subject, what's the thinking behind all the abondoned cars and farm machinery in the strangest of locations?

Oi! that's my drive :cool:

Gronnuck
30-Apr-10, 21:33

:lol: I love it!

Moira
30-Apr-10, 22:51
Oh well, I suppose this will slip down the list of passed points!
Bound for the rubbish tip of life.

Thanks for that Photographer. I'd hoped for a few images of the folk who were discarding the litter.

Perhaps the schoolchildren who took part in the "litter pick" will take on board the broader message and, in time, will get the message out to all the litter louts. :)

Yer welcome - I hate litter too! [evil]

Oh gosh, me too.

wifie
30-Apr-10, 23:13
Thanks for that Photographer. I'd hoped for a few images of the folk who were discarding the litter.

Perhaps the schoolchildren who took part in the "litter pick" will take on board the broader message and, in time, will get the message out to all the litter louts. :)

Oh gosh, me too.

I realised that was what you were hoping for, Moira!

Why did you add a smiley after the litter pick sentence?

Oh dear more sarcasm in sentence three! :D

Moira
30-Apr-10, 23:46
I realised that was what you were hoping for, Moira!

Why did you add a smiley after the litter pick sentence?

Oh dear more sarcasm in sentence three!

Wifie, if your name was Photographer, I would answer your questions. As it is, you are not, so I won't. :)

You've not been around for a while. Go pick on someone else.

wifie
30-Apr-10, 23:55
Wifie, if your name was Photographer, I would answer your questions. As it is, you are not, so I won't. :)

You've not been around for a while. Go pick on someone else.

Aaaaaaaaw did you miss me? :D

If you do not wish me to reply do not quote me.

Moira
01-May-10, 00:01
Not really......

If you do not wish me to answer, stop questioning me. :)

wifie
01-May-10, 00:15
Not really......

If you do not wish me to answer, stop questioning me. :)

Emmmmmmmmm, let me see now, this is a forum where people bat questions and answers and opinions back and forth. I'll just check - yes here we are - according to the Free Online Dictionary - "A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website." As I said once before - the cat can look at the queen . . .

Moira
01-May-10, 00:30
Yes I agree with you on the litter question Wifie.