PDA

View Full Version : Thurso bars

Bazeye
27-Apr-10, 19:24
Having visited Thurso every year since 1985 my memories a little "fuzzy" so I was wondering if anyone knows the following
When did the Marine shut?
When did The Shieling become the Coral Lounge and when did that shut?
When did Flicks shut and when did it become Skins?
When did the Station change beyond all recognition and the lounge in the St Clair?
When did The Weigh Inn burn down and when did the new one open?
And finally when did they alter the bar in The Newmarket(Didnt it used to run right along the back?)
Guess from those questions you can tell how I spend my holiday.

Anfield
27-Apr-10, 19:55
Having visited Thurso every year since 1985 my memories a little "fuzzy" so I was wondering if anyone knows the following
When did the Station change beyond all recognition and the lounge in the St Clair?
When did The Weigh Inn burn down and when did the new one open?
And finally when did they alter the bar in The Newmarket(Didnt it used to run right along the back?)

Is this what you call a Pub Quiz?

LMS
27-Apr-10, 20:13
Weigh Inn burnt down just before Christmas 1997. Can't help you with the rest.

pink
27-Apr-10, 21:22
weigh inn reopened start of 2000

Metalattakk
27-Apr-10, 22:00
Not sure but it was early '90s I think.

Changed from The Sheiling to the One-Up around 1990, then to The Coral a couple of years later. Must have closed down in '98-ish I reckon.

Only became Skins around 2000 I believe. It was Eve's before that.

Mind when the wags of the day used to join the 'L' and the 'I' in the FLICKS sign with black marker pen, to make a completely different (yet very apt) alternative name? :D

Ah, I know the answer to this one - I was there y'see.

The Station changed ('modernisation', they called it :() in 2001. They ripped out the bar, sold the mirrors (except for one, and I know where it is :Razz), tarted the place up and turned it into a gold-mine. The 'new' owners are hoteliers, not publicans. They had to make money out of it, and you'll never make enough money out of an old -fashioned pub, no matter how sentimental you get about losing it.

I miss the old pub terribly, but even I could see it was unsustainable as it was.

The St Clair is in a similar situation, maybe even more so as the rates are much higher. Making money out of the place is paramount for the owners. As it would be if you were the owners. So the old lounge is put to more profitable use now, serving the residents and the restaurant customers.

Och, that changed a good few years back. There was never a need for a bar that stretched the full length of the back wall. Wasted revenue-earning space there.

crayola
01-May-10, 20:09
Changed from The Sheiling to the One-Up around 1990
I think it had already changed when I was back home for a wee while in summer 1989.

Dadie
01-May-10, 21:07
The coral closed before I turned 18... remember falling down the stairs in my heels ... on a karaoke night!

theone
01-May-10, 21:58

It became Skinandis in 1998.

It was Eves for a few years before that.

Dog-eared
01-May-10, 23:28
The Coral stairs...very steep and dangerous....:lol:

wifie
01-May-10, 23:33

Are you spending the time until yer next holiday writing the history of bars in Thurso? :Razz

The Pepsi Challenge
02-May-10, 05:57
mon The Helmsman.

peter macdonald
02-May-10, 10:50
I mind on e Mainbrace ...must have shut abt 1977ish

Bazeye
02-May-10, 11:19
mon The Helmsman.

Knew the barman from there, as he stayed in Ormlie Lodge. Davie Love, Rangers fan. Anyone remember him? Is he still in Thurso?

Boozeburglar
02-May-10, 11:22
Was he working at Dounreay as well?

Bazeye
02-May-10, 11:37
Was he working at Dounreay as well?

Yes, I think he was.

Boozeburglar
02-May-10, 11:40
I never drank in there as a rule.

Preferred downtown.

Stig
02-May-10, 12:14
Knew the barman from there, as he stayed in Ormlie Lodge. Davie Love, Rangers fan. Anyone remember him? Is he still in Thurso?
Davie Love died a few years ago, Cancer I think.

Bazeye
02-May-10, 15:30
Didnt know that. Any idea when?

Gleber2
02-May-10, 15:36
About seven years ago I seem to recall.