PDA

View Full Version : Another conspiracy story revealed to be true, or is this just another cover up

Anfield
27-Apr-10, 16:00
"A police officer is likely to have "struck the fatal blow" which killed a protester in west London 31 years ago, a Scotland Yard report reveals
Anti-racism activist Blair Peach died after he was hit during clashes with police officers in Southall in 1979.
The previously secret report attaches "grave suspicion" to an officer, who it says may also have been involved in a cover-up along with two colleagues.
But the Metropolitan Police said no officers would face further action.."

Mr Peach's family have long campaigned for the report - written by Commander John Cass - to be released.
His partner, Celia Stubbs, said the report "totally vindicated" what the family had always believed.
"I never really expected a prosecution. I don't regret that, I am just pleased that we have the report so we can see what happened on the day," she said.

A Met statement said: "We have gone to great lengths to ensure that all investigative options currently available have been exhausted.
"To this extent the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has provided us with independent advice stating that there is nothing which would currently justify carrying out a further investigation."
Mr Peach, a 33-year-old teacher from New Zealand, was taking part in a demonstration against the National Front.
The protest led to clashes with the police and he was later found with fatal head injuries.
A police radio or truncheon is thought to have delivered the fatal blow.
The Cass report does not name any of the implicated officers, but said six were on board a van belonging to the now disbanded Special Patrol Group identified as carrier U.11.
It said there was insufficient evidence to charge anyone over the death but recommended action for perverting the course of justice for three officers, and there was "grave suspicion" over one of them, only identified as "Officer E".
The 1979 report said: "Whilst it can reasonably be concluded that a police officer struck the fatal blow, and that that officer came from carrier U.11, I am sure that it will be agreed that the present situation is far from satisfactory and disturbing."
It went on: "The attitude and untruthfulness of some of the officers involved is a contributory factor.

"It is understandable that because ofthe events of the day officers were confused, or made mistakes, but one would expect better recall of events by trained police officers.
"However, there are cases where the evidence shows that certain officers have clearly not told the truth."
Officer E, Officer F and Officer H "clearly obstructed" police officers carrying out investigations, it added.
The Met said the names of the officers had been removed from the report for legal reasons.
A spokeswoman said: "Some of the information has been redacted to prevent the identification of members of the public and police officers who contributed to the investigations into Blair Peach's death."
'Uncomfortable reading'
Last year, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson said the report should be published after being reviewed by lawyers.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) completed that review and advised Scotland Yard that charges could only be brought if there was sufficient new evidence, such as a confession.
Sir Paul said the report made "uncomfortable reading" and it was a matter of "deep regret" the police had been unable to provide Mr Peach's family with a "definitive answer".
"As a police officer with over 34 years service reading and being briefed on the investigation reports leaves me feeling deeply uncomfortable," he said.
But Deborah Coles, of campaign group Inquest, called upon Sir Paul to publicly acknowledge that a Metropolitan Police officer was responsible for the fatal blow.
At an inquest at the time, the jury returned a verdict of "death by misadventure".
Mr Peach's family felt sure the Met investigation, conducted by a team of 30 detectives under Commander Cass in the force's Complaints Investigation Bureau, held the key to the truth behind his death.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8645485.stm

George Brims
27-Apr-10, 17:12
This hardly falls under the banner of "conspiracy theory". Many people at the time were convinced that Blair Peach was killed by police action, and that the coroner messed up the inquest and allowed the responsible parties to get away with it.

John Little
27-Apr-10, 17:29
I was living in London at the time and had 4 colleagues at that demo. They were convinced then that the police had done it from the violence of the SPG. I agree with George- it's no conspiracy - just a coverup.

Anfield
27-Apr-10, 19:06
But what is the difference between a "cover up" and a "conspiracy"?

The Compact Oxford English Dictionary defines a "Cover Up" as:
An attempt to conceal a mistake or crime.

whilst it's definition of "conspiracy" is:
A secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful

Surely then, once an event has occurred, then the conspiracy then becomes a cover up.

Why then do some people class all sinister goings on as "Conspiracy Theories"

dafi
27-Apr-10, 19:56
Probably a lack of understanding of grammer then....lol

All this is is a confirmation of a long held belief....Blair Peach was killed by a member of the SPG.

They were the storm troopers of the met....a vicious, violent division of racist thugs with carte blanch to behave as they wanted.

I speak from bitter personal expierience!!

As to your original question. I think its a case of when did the cover up become a conspiracy.

rich
27-Apr-10, 20:15

Surely then, once an event has occurred, then the conspiracy then becomes a cover up.

I always think of conspracies as a specialty of the ruling classes. A cover up takes place at a much lower, beurocratic level.

That's intended as a working defintion and there is bound to be an overflow. In theory at least it should be possible for a cover-up to morph into a full bodied conspiracy.

I also think conspiracies tend to be a lot more glamorous with secret agents scuttling around doing the nefarious things secret agents do. Poison, rapiers and dynamite may play a role. Does anyone remember the Bulgarian poet who was assassinated by a soviet agent with an umbrella tipped in poison? 20 years ago at least. It turned out he was a victim of a full-blown conspiracy, one that sent shock waves through the various factions in the Kremlin.

Dom de Lillo writes well abour cosnpiracies.

George Brims
27-Apr-10, 21:04
A conspiracy may be something planned in advance, or be something done in response to an unplanned event. I suppose when a bunch of people join in a cover-up that qualifies it as a conspiracy.

ducati
27-Apr-10, 21:10
Where as a conspiracy theory, is an attempt to explain the implausible with the preposterous [lol]

dafi
28-Apr-10, 00:15
And yet retain threads of credibility

fred
28-Apr-10, 07:40
Where as a conspiracy theory, is an attempt to explain the implausible with the preposterous [lol]

I think everyone has a need to explain everything, we can't conceive that things just happen, everything has to happen for a reason.

So when the reasons given are so preposterous as to be unbelievable or the reasons are withheld then people will naturally look for a reason and the most likely reason will involve those being preposterous or withholding information.

I wonder what the long awaited 7/7, inquest will reveal, anyone taking bets?

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=17903

The Drunken Duck
28-Apr-10, 08:14
I think everyone has a need to explain everything, we can't conceive that things just happen, everything has to happen for a reason.

So when the reasons given are so preposterous as to be unbelievable or the reasons are withheld then people will naturally look for a reason and the most likely reason will involve those being preposterous or withholding information.

I wonder what the long awaited 7/7, inquest will reveal, anyone taking bets?

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=17903

Says it all really ..

http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/

fred
28-Apr-10, 08:35
Says it all really ..

http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/

It is the responsibility of the police and the government to protect the people of Britain.

If the people of Britain are not protected then they are the ones to blame just as anyone else who's job it was to do something which did not get done would be to blame.

northener
28-Apr-10, 09:02
Blame is a very easy thing to attach to other people after the event.......

It's a pity some of the people who routinely have to find someone to 'blame' afterwards haven't got the foresight and knowledge to point out what they perceive as inadequacies before the event.

My, what a wonderful world we could have then.

Flashman
28-Apr-10, 09:53

A conspiracy is a secret plan of action pre planned in advance like a bomb plot .

A cover-up is trying to hide something which went wrong in the past.. essentially to bury it.

The Drunken Duck
28-Apr-10, 12:58
It is the responsibility of the police and the government to protect the people of Britain.

If the people of Britain are not protected then they are the ones to blame just as anyone else who's job it was to do something which did not get done would be to blame.

It is also the responsibility of so called citizens of Britian to not go around blowing themselves and others up. I like how "Muslim News" fail to mention that the real reason those people died was because followers of their warped religion did just that.

What Gadget is trying to get across is that even though they KNOW someone is up to no good they are tied up by the red tape that infests the Police these days and restricts them from acting. The REALLY ironic thing is that the same people who cry, whinge, bitch and moan about the Police not doing their job are first in line to criticise the required surveillance and proactive Policing needed to stop such acts in the future as "Oppressive".

sandyr1
28-Apr-10, 14:53
Probably a lack of understanding of grammer then....lol

All this is is a confirmation of a long held belief....Blair Peach was killed by a member of the SPG.

They were the storm troopers of the met....a vicious, violent division of racist thugs with carte blanch to behave as they wanted.

I speak from bitter personal expierience!!

As to your original question. I think its a case of when did the cover up become a conspiracy.

...My my, what a wonderful attitude to have especially when the finding was that 'likely the blow was struck'...Likely????
And 'Possibly 'a police truncheon or radio was used to deliver same.

What happened to the epitome of British Justice...proved beyond a reasonable doubt?!

The SPG was created to deal with major incidents of violence and crime, particularly those of violent demonstrations. Yes they were tough/ they had to be, but the majority were decent honest people doing the best they could. 'Remember what Sir Robert Peel said' The Police are the Public and the Public are the Police........

Anfield
28-Apr-10, 16:13
"..they could. 'Remember what Sir Robert Peel said' The Police are the Public and the Public are the Police........

It was around this time that the UK had a police service which everyone could respect.

dafi
28-Apr-10, 16:59
What happened to the epitome of British Justice...proved beyond a reasonable doubt?!...quote.

how do you prove anything when the evidence and testomony have been changed,tampered with or just plain delibratly lost..... The SPG were the epitome of the extreme end of british justice...they opperated with political support out side of the law and showed complete contempt for it and the public. There was no come backs for the victims of their crimes.
There was no excuse for their violent and criminal conduct...no excuse for it at all. It was an affront to Justice, To democracy and the british public. It undermined confidence in the metropolitan police at a time when confidence was low.

I have nothing against the police force in the UK.

BUT THE SPECIAL PATROL GROUP WERE SCUM AND VIOLENT UNACOUNTABLE SCUM AT THAT.

ducati
28-Apr-10, 19:33
What happened to the epitome of British Justice...proved beyond a reasonable doubt?!...quote.

how do you prove anything when the evidence and testomony have been changed,tampered with or just plain delibratly lost..... The SPG were the epitome of the extreme end of british justice...they opperated with political support out side of the law and showed complete contempt for it and the public. There was no come backs for the victims of their crimes.
There was no excuse for their violent and criminal conduct...no excuse for it at all. It was an affront to Justice, To democracy and the british public. It undermined confidence in the metropolitan police at a time when confidence was low.

I remember Aid Edmundson's Hampster was called SPG in The Young Ones :lol:

Right in the middle of Mrs T's reign. It was a time of violent confrontations and people on 'Peace' Rallys chucking bricks, bottles and firebombs at the police. No wonder they overreacted from time to time :eek:

Remember PC Blakelock ?

fred
28-Apr-10, 20:02
It is also the responsibility of so called citizens of Britian to not go around blowing themselves and others up. I like how "Muslim News" fail to mention that the real reason those people died was because followers of their warped religion did just that.

What Gadget is trying to get across is that even though they KNOW someone is up to no good they are tied up by the red tape that infests the Police these days and restricts them from acting. The REALLY ironic thing is that the same people who cry, whinge, bitch and moan about the Police not doing their job are first in line to criticise the required surveillance and proactive Policing needed to stop such acts in the future as "Oppressive".

They weren't too tied up in red tape when they put seven bullets into the head of Charles Menezes were they.

bekisman
28-Apr-10, 20:53
They weren't too tied up in red tape when they put seven bullets into the head of Charles Menezes were they.

Oh God here we go again :(

John Little
28-Apr-10, 21:40
I really should not post here because my feelings run very high. I have had dealings with our police force since they pinched my wife's car two years ago- and ended up, after a campaign in the local paper paying her £100 compensation with no apology.

And that ain't the only occasion by any means. I know not how it is in Scotland but in my personal experience quite a lot of Plod ain't very intelligent.

sandyr1
28-Apr-10, 22:56
I really should not post here because my feelings run very high. I have had dealings with our police force since they pinched my wife's car two years ago- and ended up, after a campaign in the local paper paying her £100 compensation with no apology.

And that ain't the only occasion by any means. I know not how it is in Scotland but in my personal experience quite a lot of Plod ain't very intelligent.

Wow, with an attitude like yours no wonder the UK is in trouble. The 'plod ain't too intelligent'! And they Stole your Car?.. 145,000 Officers in the UK you had one problem!!

sandyr1
28-Apr-10, 23:09

Unbelievable comment...........you are lumping all Police Officers who served in that group as such.....I shall leave it at that........ perhaps it explains what you stand for!

Anfield
28-Apr-10, 23:17
Wow, with an attitude like yours no wonder the UK is in trouble. The 'plod ain't too intelligent'! And they Stole your Car?.. 145,000 Officers in the UK you had one problem!!

Sandyr1,
You are quite out of touch at how policing in the UK has degenerated..

In the last recored year (2008/09) there were 50,369 allegations/complaints made against the Police in England & Wales (note that Scotland & N Ireland figures were not included)
http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints_statistics_2008_09-3.pdf

Of that 50,369 the IPCC review states that

41% were "settled" locally
- 36% investigated, resulting in 10% being "proven"
- 12% withdrawn
- 10% dispensation
- 2% discontinuance

In 2008/09, the IPCC completed 4,131 appeals. Of
these, 612 (15%) were found to be invalid the remaining 3,500+ were found in favour of complainants

So this is hardly 1 out of 145,000 is it

Anfield
28-Apr-10, 23:28
Unbelievable comment...........you are lumping all Police Officers who served in that group as such.....I shall leave it at that........ perhaps it explains what you stand for!

Just in the same way that we class all Muslims as being terrorists, all people who believe that Animals have rights, as being fanatical Animal Rights arsonists ( I have been called this on this forum)

sandyr1
28-Apr-10, 23:50
Sandyr1,
You are quite out of touch at how policing in the UK has degenerated..

In the last recored year (2008/09) there were 50,369 allegations/complaints made against the Police in England & Wales (note that Scotland & N Ireland figures were not included)
http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints_statistics_2008_09-3.pdf

Of that 50,369 the IPCC review states that

41% were "settled" locally
- 36% investigated, resulting in 10% being "proven"
- 12% withdrawn
- 10% dispensation
- 2% discontinuance

In 2008/09, the IPCC completed 4,131 appeals. Of
these, 612 (15%) were found to be invalid the remaining 3,500+ were found in favour of complainants

So this is hardly 1 out of 145,000 is it

Yes & thank you for the Stats... BUT...did you know that many complaints against Police are initiated as a bargaining tool to have charges withdrawn or reduced.
Of course I agree that all professions have problems with Staff, and the Police Dept. is not immune, but if we as a adult people 'slag the Cops' on a continuing basis it helps no one.....
'Been there....been involved....done that'!

Anfield
28-Apr-10, 23:59
Yes & thank you for the Stats... BUT...did you know that many complaints against Police are initiated as a bargaining tool to have charges withdrawn or reduced.

But, 53,000+?

sandyr1
29-Apr-10, 00:05
But, 53,000+?

OK. I agree.. Obviously it's a concern....

fred
29-Apr-10, 07:58
Of course I agree that all professions have problems with Staff, and the Police Dept. is not immune, but if we as a adult people 'slag the Cops' on a continuing basis it helps no one.....
'Been there....been involved....done that'!

So what about the SPP Union protest at Montebello Quebec in 2007? The Canadian police sent three police men into a peaceful protest in disguise to deliberately cause trouble so they would have an excuse to beat up the demonstrators.

It's on video here, the police later admitted that the three were in fact police officers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St1-WTc1kow

That has to be a conspiracy doesn't it?

ducati
29-Apr-10, 08:49
But, 53,000+?

Hardly that suprising that a lot of Crims. complain about being arrested though is it? :lol:

Anfield
29-Apr-10, 11:03
Hardly that suprising that a lot of Crims. complain about being arrested though is it? :lol:

I don't think that criminal coppers are included in figures!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bpl&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=policeman+convicted&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK|countryGB&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bpl&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=policeman+convicted&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=)

ducati
29-Apr-10, 11:42
I don't think that criminal coppers are included in figures!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bpl&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=policeman+convicted&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK|countryGB&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Well, every group in society has a criminal element, however many of these cases show how the conducting of their duties, can lead Police people into trouble-one more pressure of the job?

I don't believe (if this is what you are advocating) that we should remove our trust from the Police Service. I believe they do a thankless job, by and large very well.

sandyr1
29-Apr-10, 12:11
Yes ducati/ It is imperative that we as citizens work with the Police, not against them.
And yes they are human, like us all!
And yes that Quebec issue was bad/ I don't think they were there with Criminal Intent/ just 3 inexperienced guys who wanted to be part of the group, and keep an eye on things, but who went overboard.
We are hosting the G8/ G20 soon and the Union Heads are asking that no masks/ crash hats etc. be worn.

Anfield
29-Apr-10, 12:11
I don't believe (if this is what you are advocating) that we should remove our trust from the Police Service. I believe they do a thankless job, by and large very well.

I quite agree that the police do a thankless job, but like in all sectors of society, the bad behaviour and actions of a few indivduals undermine the good work of the rest of their colleagues

ducati
29-Apr-10, 12:42
I quite agree that the police do a thankless job, but like in all sectors of society, the bad behaviour and actions of a few indivduals undermine the good work of the rest of their colleagues

Very true, and where wrong doing is found, it should definately not be covered up :eek:

John Little
29-Apr-10, 12:49
Sandy said;

"145,000 Officers in the UK you had one problem!! "

I had already said;

"And that ain't the only occasion by any means."

Sandy also said;

"Wow, with an attitude like yours no wonder the UK is in trouble."

Which has to be a- one of the largest generalisations I have seen for a very long time.

b- a complete non- sequitur, devoid of rationale, reasons or logic

c- at best unintelligent, and at worst a deliberate attempt to insult.

What, exactly, do you hope to gain from it?

ducati
29-Apr-10, 13:49
Sandy said;

I had already said;

Sandy also said;

Which has to be a- one of the largest generalisations I have seen for a very long time.

I agree with Sandy, John-from now on everything is all your fault. You've no idea how happy that makes me. Up until now (according to my wife) everything has been my fault :Razz

sandyr1
29-Apr-10, 14:21
Sandy said;

I had already said;

Sandy also said;

Hope you can now see the error of your own statements....
'Quite a lot of Plod ain't very intelligent'.....
People who have no idea of what they are talking and hold themselves above others, should not make blanket statements.................

John Little
29-Apr-10, 14:38
I'm afraid that I cannot bow to your superior knowledge on the workings of the UK police. My line of work over the last 36 years has brought me in to contact with the police on not a few occasions.

'Quite a lot of Plod ain't very intelligent'

is not a statement I make in a vacuum but one based on many personal experiences.

I suggest you actually read what it says and consider before you reply.

Oh - and if that's your attitude then I can see why Canada is in the state it's in......................

BTW I have not the faintest idea what state Canada is in.