PDA

View Full Version : did you like google earth?

Tugmistress
03-Jun-06, 10:14
ok if you liked google earth, you'll love http://local.live.com/

whereas google earth was quite good on its pictures of built up city areas, this one i can see my house, i can see the car on the lane! i know the satellite pic is a couple of years old but for how close in you can get up here it is amazing and way better than google earth.

have fun and see what you can find, maybe even work out when the pic was taken :)

highlander
03-Jun-06, 10:45
Thats great!! thanks for finding that one.

brokencross
03-Jun-06, 12:31
Took a wee while to get the photos up (operator error), however have just spent ages looking at the various places I have lived and visited in my travels around the world. Thanks for sharing that site with us.

pulteney person
03-Jun-06, 14:31
I think Google Earth gets you a bit closer although these ones are very clear, I still think they don't get as close. Perhaps it depends on what place you are looking at.
I like the way that every street is named, very easy to navigate.

jm.mack
03-Jun-06, 14:49
Try the following :

www.flashearth.com

This is the best I have seen.

I can zoom right in to my house on this one, but our street does'nt appear on local live.......

Chillie
03-Jun-06, 15:34
ok if you liked google earth, you'll love http://local.live.com/

whereas google earth was quite good on its pictures of built up city areas, this one i can see my house, i can see the car on the lane! i know the satellite pic is a couple of years old but for how close in you can get up here it is amazing and way better than google earth.

have fun and see what you can find, maybe even work out when the pic was taken :)

How did you manage to get in so close I can only get street maps.

krieve
03-Jun-06, 15:39
click on aerial instead of road

Chillie
03-Jun-06, 16:00
click on aerial instead of road

I have tried that and all I get is a picture of a camera with a cross on it, tried zomming in and out still no use, that why I wondered how tugmistress could see her car, path, etc.

susan.leith
03-Jun-06, 16:02
Very interesting - thank you for sharing this. I have a photographic atlas of Edinburgh, dated 2001, and the photos are exactly the same as those on the site. I can see my washing drying in the garden!

Tugmistress
03-Jun-06, 19:29
I have tried that and all I get is a picture of a camera with a cross on it, tried zomming in and out still no use, that why I wondered how tugmistress could see her car, path, etc.

Chillie, if you get the camera with the cross in it you are either zoomed in too close or are looking at the sea ;)
start a bit further out, the scale on the bottom right corner i can get down to 50yds for above scrabster and thurso etc :)

Bobinovich
03-Jun-06, 19:45
Now that's a cracking site - like others I've been looking at some of my old houses from 30+ years ago!

All we need now is realtime maps!!! OK that would be freaky - you'd be able to zoom into yourself waving - cool, eh!

changilass
03-Jun-06, 20:03
Now that's a cracking site - like others I've been looking at some of my old houses from 30+ years ago!

All we need now is realtime maps!!! OK that would be freaky - you'd be able to zoom into yourself waving - cool, eh!

I've been looking at one of the same houses you have lol

emszxr
03-Jun-06, 20:51
it cant show me an ariel view of where i live :mad::mad:

emszxr
03-Jun-06, 20:53
or where my mum lives

Bobinovich
04-Jun-06, 11:00
Strange - I wonder why that is? Considering it goes quite close up in Thurso, Castletown, etc. it seems weird why you can't zoom in closer on other areas.

brokencross
04-Jun-06, 11:33
Enjoyed using both Flashearth and the Live Local. Big Brother is definitely watching us. Just did a quick scan of Baghdad and Iraq, no sign of any WMD, but we knew that anyway didn't we!!?

emszxr
04-Jun-06, 12:09
must be cause i live in the back of beyond

footie chick
04-Jun-06, 12:34
wicked site pity that you cant seem to go beyond Glengolly:~( in close up

Ricco
04-Jun-06, 15:48
Nope. Sorry, Tugmistress. Can't zoom into any images of where I live. I can see my house, garden and car on Google Earth, though. Perhaps they each have their own strong areas.

badger
04-Jun-06, 16:55
Looks as if you can only zoom in on towns. If you try to get too close in the countryside you just get cameras. Shame as the towns are really good. The place naming is a bit eccentric in parts - I don't live where they say :confused

obiron
04-Jun-06, 19:43
can see thurso ok but not wick. good site though.