PDA

View Full Version : Car electrics

BIG BLUE
26-Apr-10, 12:50
I'm hoping that someone on the org knows a wee bit about car electrics, i know the basics about most things car orientated but electrics confuse me!...i seem to have a lack of power at the rear of my car as the rear wiper works slowly none of the lights are as bright as they should be and the electronically opening tail gate doesnt get enough power to release, any ideas anyone? as well as this every so often the imobiliser will kick in and i have to leave the car locked up for around five minutes before it will start? garages have quoted stupid prices just for looking so i thought the kind org people may be able to help. the car is a ford 1997. Many thanks for any replies.

upolian
26-Apr-10, 13:02
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,how old is the battery?id go about replacing it if its older than 3/4years,

If you wish pm me and i can put you in the direction of a guy that will look at it for you and not charge the world :)

carrepairman
26-Apr-10, 13:17
The first thing to look for would be a bad earth, then the condition of the wiring where it passes into the tailgate from the car body. With the engine running do the rear lights become dimmer if you switch on the HRW or rear wiper? Are the rear lights dim on the tailgate only, or are all the rear lights dim? If you can provide the model of Ford I may be able to offer further help.

BIG BLUE
26-Apr-10, 13:20
Its a good battery thats on it and all the rear lights are dimmer than should be both the ones on the tailgate and the ones on the side piller bits either side of tailgate, thanks very much for replies.

BIG BLUE
26-Apr-10, 13:22
its a ford maveric 1997 ta

BIG BLUE
26-Apr-10, 13:24
The first thing to look for would be a bad earth, then the condition of the wiring where it passes into the tailgate from the car body. With the engine running do the rear lights become dimmer if you switch on the HRW or rear wiper? Are the rear lights dim on the tailgate only, or are all the rear lights dim? If you can provide the model of Ford I may be able to offer further help.

thanks for your help.....not sure how to "pm" anyone not on org long.

Dog-eared
26-Apr-10, 14:05
To PM someone click on their username first.

EDDIE
26-Apr-10, 17:06

i agree with carrepairman the faults indicate that it is a bad earth you need to trace the earthwire and fix it or create another earth wire from your rear lights to the body

BIG BLUE
28-Apr-10, 13:20
PROBLEM NOW SORTED Many thanks for all the help indeed the problem was earth related thank you very much.