PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted On Fishing Thurso River

RoughRider202
02-Jun-06, 20:34
Hi ppl,

Im coming up to thurso in july to see friends and family and was thinking of fishing thurso river when i came up.

I Just wanted to know what fishing licesencs do i need to fish the river also is there a charge for fishing it. The reason im asking because i found a website that said its £75 a day to fish it and your only aloud to fly fish it.

Is there any anglers on this forum that could fill me in on the info i need.

Regards andy

SandTiger
02-Jun-06, 20:52
http://www.thursofisheries.co.uk/river.html
http://www.thurso-river.co.uk/

Prolly best to contact:

Eddie McCarthy
River Superintendents House
Braal Road
Halkirk
Caithness
Scotland
KW12 6XE

eddiemccarthy@supanet.com (eddiemccarthy@netlineuk.net)
+44 (1847) 831591

Happy hunting :)

RoughRider202
02-Jun-06, 21:14
Cheers sandtiger for the info.

The river has alot of rules is that because its mainly salmon and trout in there. Just i fish alot of rivers were i live and never heard of rules like thurso river has.

Like only alound to use certain baits and rods etc.

Regards Andy

SandTiger
02-Jun-06, 21:24
Can't help you on the intracasies of fly fishing mate, since it is a dark art as far as I'm concerned, compared to my pursuit of Sea Angling in these parts but get in touch with Eddie for all the gen and if you fancy a day at sea then also let us know :)

RoughRider202
02-Jun-06, 21:30
Ye mate not to keen on the idea of fly fishing myself. Im a carp angler so never touched a fly rod in my life.

connieb19
02-Jun-06, 21:48
What's wrong with using a big net? I'm sure that's what most folk do..;)

willowbankbear
02-Jun-06, 22:08
Ill tell te tomorrow Connie as Im going out with Charlatans from Dunnet, I think we need a miracle!! Sand Tiger, any good bits over at Dunnet side of the bay? I know its the raft race later on for us but were gona have a cast first

Astra
02-Jun-06, 22:29
What's wrong with using a big net? I'm sure that's what most folk do..;)
Yes and that as caused problems on wick river . It costs me £70 a year and some sod nets it Grrrr

Tugmistress
03-Jun-06, 10:19
Ill tell te tomorrow Connie as Im going out with Charlatans from Dunnet, I think we need a miracle!! Sand Tiger, any good bits over at Dunnet side of the bay? I know its the raft race later on for us but were gona have a cast first

just seen this and you are probably fishing now ;)
dunnet beach itself holds schoolie bass, flatties and doggies, castletown harbour if your casting is better than mine holds coley, pollack and the odd cod, never tried murkle though and dwarwick i have only ever caught a doggie from there but others have had pollack and coley.

hope that helps you.

willowbankbear
03-Jun-06, 17:49
[lol] Charlatans is sacked as skipper, thats twice weve been out & got zero, mind ypou he was scared of the waves, Ill let him off with that as he`s not from caithness.
We had a go at Dwarick pier - the fish are still swimming proudly to be honest .

Oh well there always next Sunday!!

Naefearjustbeer
03-Jun-06, 18:25
Ye mate not to keen on the idea of fly fishing myself. Im a carp angler so never touched a fly rod in my life.

Caithness is the wrong place for freshwater fishing if you arent a fly fisher. It is fly only on all the rivers. Loch calder allows bait and spinners but that is it all the other lochs are fly only as well. Permission varies from loch to loch and river to river. Hugo Ross in wick will be able to let you know where and how much fishing costs. www.hugoross.co.uk (http://www.hugoross.co.uk)
Of course casting off the rocks or beaches into the sea will be free. But I dont know anything about sea angling

the charlatans
03-Jun-06, 18:47
Yep, not used to big waves, us west coaters are used to wee lumps.

No fish and no beer. Didn't even make it to the raft race.

Still if Stone Roses wasn't so shy of the water (an aversion from Childhood I hear) he'd maybe catch a fish or two. But then again, would he know what to do with it if he ever did catch one?

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pics/anglerfish01.jpg

SandTiger
03-Jun-06, 19:34
Sorry I missed your post last night Stone Roses - Bed was calling and spent the day doing Bay Trips at the Gala which raised £101 in donations for the Fisherman's Mission :D

It's hard to suggest marks without knowing what your boats limitations are but I'm sure Murkle would have been calm today.

Good luck with the next trip out.

Tugmistress
03-Jun-06, 19:34

Still if Stone Roses wasn't so shy of the water (an aversion from Childhood I hear) he'd maybe catch a fish or two. But then again, would he know what to do with it if he ever did catch one?

You missed a great race, i just put up some pics have a look at my thread i just posted :).
you wanna try sea fishing with us one day, it's a scream :)

the charlatans
03-Jun-06, 21:11
You missed a great race, i just put up some pics have a look at my thread i just posted :).
you wanna try sea fishing with us one day, it's a scream :)

Hi Tugmistress, would love to learn from local fishing/boating folk. Give us a shout next time you're out and got space for a small one. Or youre welcome to come out on my wee boat.

As for the raft race, I was only going over to hurl abuse at work mates. Just been down to Dunnet Beach for Razors... all in all a pretty fruitless day, cold beer awaits, I keep the fridge well stocked with that particular species... Will try Reiss Beach tomorrow.

Astra
03-Jun-06, 22:49
You can fish wick river for about £20 pound a day visitor pass and you can use fly or worm at this time of year

connieb19
04-Jun-06, 10:52
You can fish wick river for about £20 pound a day visitor pass and you can use fly or worm at this time of yearYou can fish it through the night for nothing!!!;) I've got a big net you can borrow.

Astra
04-Jun-06, 12:00
No thanks Connie, as netting Salmon is illegal in Scotland and carries a very hefty fine which can lead to a prison sentence.

connieb19
04-Jun-06, 12:05
No thanks Connie, as netting Salmon is illegal in Scotland and carries a very hefty fine which can lead to a prison sentence.It's only illegal if you get caught!!;)

Astra
04-Jun-06, 12:22
It's only illegal if you get caught!!;)And caught you will get .

connieb19
04-Jun-06, 12:40
And caught you will get .I've never been caught yet!!:roll:

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 13:53
It's only illegal if you get caught!!;)

That very true I have never been caught yet.

willowbankbear
04-Jun-06, 15:17

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pics/anglerfish01.jpg

Id throw that back, its no use to anyone, charlatans. As for being scared of water, I just had a bath[lol] . Next weekend Ill be captain & the Galician will order ye about. You are 3rd & yer lucky little bear cant walk or youd be 4th

Ricco
04-Jun-06, 15:39
I don't know if the rules have changed since I was a nipper. Used to be able to use worm and spinner in the tidal stretch (as defined by the foot bridge below the Salmon Pool) but you did have to put any salmon back. If you are able to use fly you could always stick a worm on and then crack it off if the bailiff comes along. ;)

connieb19
04-Jun-06, 15:42
I don't know if the rules have changed since I was a nipper. Used to be able to use worm and spinner in the tidal stretch (as defined by the foot bridge below the Salmon Pool) but you did have to put any salmon back. If you are able to use fly you could always stick a worm on and then crack it off if the bailiff comes along. ;)I just use the fish net tights, if the bailiffs come along I'm just giving them a quick rinse..:eek:

Ricco
04-Jun-06, 15:49
I just use the fish net tights, if the bailiffs come along I'm just giving them a quick rinse..:eek:

Fish net tights, eh! Give me a call when you are next there - haven't seen any of those for a long time. lol;)

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 15:55
And caught you will get .

Aye Astra, changed days from when you used to trawl the river mouth with a net.;)

Astra
04-Jun-06, 23:18
Aye Astra, changed days from when you used to trawl the river mouth with a net.;)Not me i'm a real sports man .Not like some .

RoughRider202
04-Jun-06, 23:53
Thanx for all the info lads. Ill think ill stick to useing a rod rather than a net as abit more exciting. Unless i dont catch owt then the netting might come into it.

Does any fishing shops in thurso rent out fly fishing rods and reels for the day. Just dont want to buy them as will only probably use them the once.

Cheers Andy

pedromcgrory
05-Jun-06, 02:23
Thanx for all the info lads. Ill think ill stick to useing a rod rather than a net as abit more exciting. Unless i dont catch owt then the netting might come into it.

Does any fishing shops in thurso rent out fly fishing rods and reels for the day. Just dont want to buy them as will only probably use them the once.

Cheers Andytry harpers go through precinct heading to beach just up past woolies and ul see it i they do hire rods but they dont do permits any more belive it or not ,permits now are through the tall tales etc wotever its called a bookshop in thurso beside the comm he does them now ,but if ur into pier fishing go for the old ola pier been down recentley and with flat fish rigs and mackerel as bait ur sure to catch half a dozen pan size ones bit early for mackerel or doggies but u will catch them on old ola pier to in a few months try half way up pier lot off sand there cast out 30 feet etc

RoughRider202
05-Jun-06, 08:53
try harpers go through precinct heading to beach just up past woolies and ul see it i they do hire rods but they dont do permits any more belive it or not ,permits now are through the tall tales etc wotever its called a bookshop in thurso beside the comm he does them now ,but if ur into pier fishing go for the old ola pier been down recentley and with flat fish rigs and mackerel as bait ur sure to catch half a dozen pan size ones bit early for mackerel or doggies but u will catch them on old ola pier to in a few months try half way up pier lot off sand there cast out 30 feet etc

Hi mate thanx for info, so harpers is still open thats the one that is up by the music shop aint it.

ye i used to fish off the old ola peer mate when i used to live up there. Ive never done salmon fishing thats why i fancied doing it.

Andy

Astra
05-Jun-06, 09:47

Cheers Andy
Try susan fishing tackle shop
35 olrig street
Thurso
01847 893415
Up beside the police station just past the bank of scotland.