PDA

View Full Version : O2 broadband

Geo
26-Apr-10, 11:23
Anyone using O2 ADSL (landline) Broadband up here? If so what has the service been like?

equusdriving
26-Apr-10, 14:27
I use 02 broadband and get good signal and service ,im at Auckengill and was using vodafone but recently could never get a signal, if in any doubt what i did was get an 02 phone sim card for a couple of quid from Tesco and try it in a mobile phone if the signal is good get the 02 dongle if its not you have only wasted a couple of quid instead of £30

Kodiak
26-Apr-10, 16:56
I use 02 broadband and get good signal and service ,im at Auckengill and was using vodafone but recently could never get a signal, if in any doubt what i did was get an 02 phone sim card for a couple of quid from Tesco and try it in a mobile phone if the signal is good get the 02 dongle if its not you have only wasted a couple of quid instead of £30

Somehow I do not think that would really work. The O2 Internet, like all mobile phone networks, are 3G. So unless you use a O2 3G Sim Card it would not mean you would get an Internet Connection.

Geo
26-Apr-10, 17:32
Sorry I should have made it clear I meant O2's landline ADSL broadband service. I've changed the original message to make it clearer.

unicorn
26-Apr-10, 18:00
I have been on o2 for my broadband for about 12 months and have absolutely no complaints.

equusdriving
26-Apr-10, 18:01
Somehow I do not think that would really work. The O2 Internet, like all mobile phone networks, are 3G. So unless you use a O2 3G Sim Card it would not mean you would get an Internet Connection.

All mobile internet networks are not JUST 3G they are also - UMTS and
GPRS And my point was that if you get no/poor signal with the sim card you will not get a signal with the broadband and if you get good signal with the sim card you will at least get a GPRS signal on the broadband
But obviously its irrelevent now anyway as it wasnt mobile internet that he wanted

Jeid
26-Apr-10, 22:20
I'm on O2 Broadband, it's really good. Good service, the people I've spoken to when I've had a problem (it was a problem at the exchange) were very helpful. Good speeds etc.

I'd recommend them

Geo
12-May-10, 14:28
I went with O2 ADSL broadband and have to say the first week has been awful with speeds dropping to 300k and less at peak times. Youtube and other media streaming become totally unusable. Looks like I'll be making use of their 30 day cancellation period.

pottheed
12-May-10, 16:02
in the first ten days the broadband speed will vary.

If it is still slow after that then just report it to them, they cant fix it if they don't know its happening.

Also its not O2's broadband equipment at the exchange, its BT wholesale's so regardless of which ISP you are will you are likely to have the same problem

retrodj
12-May-10, 16:03
Am I right in thinking that if your an 02 customer you get the landline broadband for £7.50 per month and does that mean you have to be in an 02 network area? If so I'm guessing that Caithness is outwith the network area.

Geo
12-May-10, 17:00
It should be faster than this even during the training period. I'm getting at times dial up speeds. The feeling on the O2 forums is the non LLU O2 broadband network is heavily over subscribed so another BT based service might be better depending on their bandwidth deal with BT. BT's own speed checker says the speed I am getting is under what is acceptable for what the line is capable of. I am going to wait until after the 20 days though to give them the benefit of the doubt.

RetroDJ: the £7.50 O2 deal only applies if you are in an LLU, (Local Loop Unbundled) area where O2 have added their own hardware to the exchange. Sadly none of the exchanges here are LLU which is a pity as O2's LLU broadband is allegedly very good.