PDA

View Full Version : recycling in caithness

Tc4
29-Apr-04, 11:51
Ok i have asked about this before but is there anything happening in caithness about recycling?

Someone said that there was plans for a plant in wick just wondered if this was correct! At the moment i only know of places to recycle glass and i have noticed a few clothing bins around wick. Im sure there is someone that deals with paper aswell!

But what about all the plastics, cans and organic matter we all dump every day?

There is bound to be a opertunity there for a viable business if its not already in the process of being setup!

Anyone else got anything to say about this?

Fifi
30-Apr-04, 16:10
There's not a lot of recycling out there. Plenty of folks talking about it and, no doubt, lots of committees set up to look at the topic but no one is actually doing it. [disgust]

There are no paper recycling facilities in Caithness that I know of but there is a place in Golspie that takes it if you drop it off. I think Thurso in Bloom take aluminium cans but don't know if they have any collection points. (they have a temporary shop in Mackenzies old building on Princes St in Thurso if you want to pop in and ask them!)

It would be fantastic if we could have a kerb-side collection for paper, cans etc and recycle them locally. Don't know what happened to that proposal for a recycling plant in Wick - surely the sort of new business venture that should be encouraged at the moment?

JAWS
30-Apr-04, 18:06
Check these pages, they may help.

www.caithness.org/community/environment/scrap.htm
www.caithness.org/community/environment/index.htm

CHESTER
04-May-04, 00:14
The biggest obstacle to recycling is the Highland Council ,Always has been always will be .In the past the council used the recycling budget else where .I run the Northern Recycling Group and can not get funding as long as local community groups are collecting any recycleables .We wanted to open a recycling Centre in Wick that would produce products from waste to be used and manufactured locally .They included PAPER, PLASTIC, WOOD .METAL .RUBBER ,GLASS ,GREENWASTE.and many more .CASE and the council said it is and would be never needed in the North (a good few councillers agreed).If you are interested in the group drop us a line .PM.

Anonymous
04-May-04, 09:44
In many cases such as this, all you can really do it plough on until you're deemed big enough to be offered assistance. Longevity seems to help also, so anything you can do to keep a trickle of money or enthusiasm coming in and keeping you going will pay off in the long run. Also, dont forget that there is help available all around you, just not in the hard cash form. You'd be surprised what help you can get if you just ask. Help will not always be cash but it might be better than cash. Mabee an event of some sort to raise awareness, help is usually more forthcoming for these types of things.

If we'd waited for help here at Caithness.Org, we'd only have a few hundred pages, 50 visitors a month and NO FORUM!!!

I think that many groups are disheartened by the lack of financial support they might receive from the LEC and the likes, but when a bit of awareness is introduced you get something like the Wick Events Group who almost gave up and now are stronger than ever.

Keep pluggin away :)