PDA

View Full Version : Are there many tourists about?

cuddlepop
26-Apr-10, 07:53
It is so quiet over here that some of the "summer" staff have been paid off again.
Campsites that are normally busy had no one on them last week.
Tourists that are here arent eating out or "shopping" the way they have done.

After such a bad winter there are lots of businesses really struggling and were desperate for a good season but so far its not looking good.

Whats it like up there?:eek:

YummyMummy
26-Apr-10, 14:03
Cuddlepop

That's interesting.

I've 2 (self catering) holiday homes in Caithness and both are going a storm. More or less fully booked for the summer (one's a high-end luxury let and the other attracts visitors on a more modest budget). Totally different properties, totally different locations.

Traditionally it is quiet at the end of April and picks up again in May.

Mainly German (with some Dutch and Swedish) and UK tourists in the summer months and UK visitors for short breaks.

Maybe once the weather picks up folk will get themselves thinking about holidays? I think self-catering particularly appeals to folk these days, but the recession doesn't seem to put folk off eating out/visiting the tourist attractions (the ones that ARE open that is, but that's my bug bear for another day!!)

Be interested to hear others replies.

Hoida
26-Apr-10, 14:09
We have a residential caravan and it is quite busy with bookings right thhrough until mid August with only one week free. All UK bookings. Best season for a few years.Several camper vans on the go but not many coaches coming west.

cuddlepop
26-Apr-10, 16:43
Well its really quiet over here,totally out the ordinary.

Your right there is usually a quiet spell after easter but this is quieter than February.:eek:

Maybe its Caithness turn this year.

I know sometime the end of August we have a cruise liner in the Portree harbour for the day with 1800 people onboard,think I'll not come down of my hill that day.:lol: