PDA

View Full Version : printer won't print

dragonfly
25-Apr-10, 07:39
its not a new printer but one that has been used umpteen times so it should be ready to plug and print but today when I tried it comes up with an error message saying "Communication Not Available" yet when I look in Control Panel > Printers I can see my printer there and the status is ready?

I have swapped over USB cables as it was a new one I tried first so went back to the old one, restarted the printer, restarted the computer, changed the USB ports and still not communicating - anything else I can try?

RIR
25-Apr-10, 09:11
Is this http://bundee-caloyski.blogspot.com/2009/09/printer-communication-not-available.html any help?

Ian.

Bobinovich
25-Apr-10, 09:22
I know you've said you've restarted the printer but can you humour me and actually pull the power plug from it completely, leave 30 seconds and then plug back in. You'd think it was the same but I've seen it work when other things don't.

golach
25-Apr-10, 09:36
I know you've said you've restarted the printer but can you humour me and actually pull the power plug from it completely, leave 30 seconds and then plug back in. You'd think it was the same but I've seen it work when other things don't.

Bob, I was taught that as the first action to try when I worked with the IT section of my last employer, 99% of the time it worked

dragonfly
25-Apr-10, 10:32
Is this http://bundee-caloyski.blogspot.com/2009/09/printer-communication-not-available.html any help?

Ian.

ok ruled out 1st 2, but can't rename the folder to old so can't go any further on that one

yes did that but no difference

should I try reinstalling it?

dragonfly
25-Apr-10, 14:25
ok got it to print by disabling antivirus for a few minutes. I have just installed Avast and its that thats causing the communication error and the lexmark support centre gave me this message

The files lxdncoms.exe and lxdnwbgw.exe from the printer driver have been blocked. Allow access for these files for your printer to work properly. If you do not know how to find your Access list, contact your antivirus/firewall vendor

no idea where they are or how to unblock them.............anyone any clue?

dx100uk
25-Apr-10, 22:20
piece of crap anyhow

easily you cant
its a false positive on their virus scanner def

you could try uninstalling the printer drivers completely
turn off avast
then reinstall the drivers.

dx