PDA

View Full Version : retirement

John Little
24-Apr-10, 21:58
Okay - I have had enough of my job. One more year I think and I shall be 58 years and 8 months and I'm fed up of doing the same stuff over and over again. Been there, done that and got the teeshirt.

There must be more to it than this.....

With 33 years in a pension fund that runs for a max of 40 years and matures at age 60 I figure that I shall be ok if I skip out slightly early.

Thing is I have a friend who retired last week. He was a medical consultant and very busy with both NHS and private practice. Now he looks stunned and is not quite sure what he is going to do.
I daresay he will decide....

I want to get more exercise, get a dog and write books that no-one will read.

But what's it like?
When you stop?

I live in dread of what my parents did - they just stopped doing anything - that's not me so I will not follow their path.

But some of you are retired - how was it when you stopped and how do you fill your days?

Kodiak
24-Apr-10, 22:07
The question is more like...............How on earth can I fit into one day all that I have to do.

That was what it was like when I retired.

There is nothing to fear retiring as I am sure you will find out. It has been quite some time ago that I retired and except for the past few years where I have been ill, which would have happened if I was retired or not, I have never looked back.

Retire while you can as you never know what is round the corner. I am glad I did retire when I did for if I had not I wouldn't have had the few years of Fun I had.

Go ahead and enjoy yourself and go out and have some FUN !!!

Blarney
24-Apr-10, 22:19
With life expectancy ever increasing, retirement should be something to really look forward to as many will enjoy 25+ years of doing just what they want, when they want to do it. I can't wait!!

Dadie
24-Apr-10, 22:24
How about gradually phasing into retirement by going parttime.. gradually reducing the hours at work and building up the social side of your life up... before taking the final plunge!

John Little
24-Apr-10, 22:31
Dadie - that sounds like my boss!! :lol:

Dadie
24-Apr-10, 22:39
Yep
Im sensible when it comes to other people... just not me!
I could have a leg hanging off and not take my own advice:eek:
But it is a good idea to ease yourself into something as life changing as retirement gradually if for no other reason to get used to the reduction in funds coming in!
Plus if you find the retirement side of things is too good you have the satisfaction of telling your boss thats it im off!

John Little
24-Apr-10, 22:44
Oh he knows - and he keeps whining at me not to retire or to come back part time.
Reduction in funds. We'll be fine if we sell the house and move cheaper.
No mortgage and we'll be fine.

Might buy a place with a holiday cottage too.

crayola
24-Apr-10, 23:25
With 33 years in a pension fund that runs for a max of 40 years and matures at age 60 I figure that I shall be ok if I skip out slightly early.Now might be a good time to take the money and run before pension funds are raided to bail out companies, governments, banks, whoever....

You can always get a part time job to pay for all those little extras such as Hershey's chocolate syrup with calcium which gives you 10% of your recommended daily calcium intake. See, I told you I was being a little harsh. :)

John Little
24-Apr-10, 23:29
It had crossed my mind - I do some private stuff anyway. Bit of pocket money. Why not continue?
But I have said I will do one more year - and I will do it for I keep my word,

rich
24-Apr-10, 23:58
Here's what retired people do.
They begin with a travel binge. See the world in your Tilley hat your indestructible socks and your patented wash and dry in ten seconds underwear. Purchase a huge vest (waistcoat to you Brits) in which you can shove all the batteries plugs etc passports, tickets , rolls of toilet paper, trashy paperbacks you will now carry across the world like a Spanish galleon packed to the gunwales with the debris (electronic mostly) of our collapsing civilization.

It can only get worse. After you have visited all the relatives in far flung climes and thoroughly outlasted your welcome the bank manager calls you in for a few words. And travel is suddenly off the agenda. (sighs of relief from several continents!)

Now what. Time for a hobby! Woodworking, knitting, home brewing, bingo, you've never been busy and happier says your spouse - by now you are both whistling in the dark- you are in DENIAL. Also you might be losing you mind. By this time you have lost most of the the contents of your brain so it would appear to follow on - mental atherosclerosis. Stop what senseless task your spouse has thrown your way to get you out of the house - and listen - you can hear the moss and the plaques advance remorselessly across the lobes and hemospheres and cortexes and you know now the genes are kicking out....

There is one other appalling stage to go through, the certain knowledge that you are done for; the grim reaper gets ever closer; you are in the terminal stages -You have started working on the FAMILY TREE. Future generations will be thoroughly lost as you leave as your legacy the claim to be descended from Julius Ceasar.

Face it. By this time.....

I'ts over!!!

Here is the URL for Tilley hats!......Enjoy!

http://shopcompare.net/products.php?phrase=Tilley+Hats&uid=969dfd73353b7f73819aeba24148596b&kuid

John Little
25-Apr-10, 00:00
Do I detect the voice of experience here?..............

joxville
25-Apr-10, 01:08
I've been practising for retirement since I was 16. ;)

Errogie
25-Apr-10, 10:07
Don't think retirement but career change.

Scunner
25-Apr-10, 10:45
I love retirement, wish I done it when I left school

Cattach
25-Apr-10, 11:00
Okay - I have had enough of my job. One more year I think and I shall be 58 years and 8 months and I'm fed up of doing the same stuff over and over again. Been there, done that and got the teeshirt.

There must be more to it than this.....

With 33 years in a pension fund that runs for a max of 40 years and matures at age 60 I figure that I shall be ok if I skip out slightly early.

Thing is I have a friend who retired last week. He was a medical consultant and very busy with both NHS and private practice. Now he looks stunned and is not quite sure what he is going to do.
I daresay he will decide....

I want to get more exercise, get a dog and write books that no-one will read.

But what's it like?
When you stop?

I live in dread of what my parents did - they just stopped doing anything - that's not me so I will not follow their path.

But some of you are retired - how was it when you stopped and how do you fill your days?

It is great. All sorts of old and new interests to develop. Not enough hours in the day. Few years on and lots of jobs I wanted to do and cannot find the time. On modest occupational pension I live very comfortably. Go for it.

Could have written a much longer post about it but did not want to bore you!

horseman
25-Apr-10, 11:54
The question is more like...............How on earth can I fit into one day all that I have to do.

That was what it was like when I retired.

There is nothing to fear retiring as I am sure you will find out. It has been quite some time ago that I retired and except for the past few years where I have been ill, which would have happened if I was retired or not, I have never looked back.

Retire while you can as you never know what is round the corner. I am glad I did retire when I did for if I had not I wouldn't have had the few years of Fun I had.

Go ahead and enjoy yourself and go out and have some FUN !!!
That John Little is the best answer you are liable to get!
Why wait until some horrible illness strikes you, an then you would be saying-why did'ent I get out when I was well enough an able to get about an afford it...Of course that last bit is the rub...But if it is managable throw the traces over an go for it. I did an never regretted it. Completely different life now, an I loved my job,easy peasy to do, decent hours, local, an good money, was hard to walk away from, but wife an I had a natter, an the deal was done. Have been asked back a few times, but managed to resist it:) If the chance is there, don't let it slip bye.

Gronnuck
25-Apr-10, 12:15
Take retirement. :eek: OK from where you are now you might think 25-30 years of retirement is a long time. However if you're good at what you do and there is a demand for your services think about becoming a freelance consultant. You can then pick and choose the projects you want to be involved with, but be careful not to alienate your potential client group. It's a fine balance but it can free up more time to enjoy many other things in your life.
If you haven't already got a hobby, think about what your interests are and how far you wish to explore them. Then over time you can reduce your work commitments and develop your other interests.
You never know - you might even find a new career along the way!

wicker8
25-Apr-10, 12:20
i am going to retire when i am 50 my mortgage will be paid and i have a private pension that will cover me thats plans you know john just go for it your dam right

ShelleyCowie
25-Apr-10, 12:33
Go for it! Make the most of it. Plan what you want to do, things you want to achieve. :D

People work from 16-65. Im sure an early retirement is entitled im sure. You need time to enjoy your life the way you want to.

So go on....just do whatever will make you happy!

rich
25-Apr-10, 13:05
I seem to be the sole dissenting voice among all the advocates of retirement.
Good!
I am suspicious of this consensus.
Call for the undertaker?
Well perhaps not yet but the mortician is not too far away,standing in the wings.
Retirement is a giant step backwards in the direction of a hole in the ground.
It represents the waning of your talents, the decline of your faculties so when comes this Pollyana chorus? I couldn't last ten days of retirement; they'd be wheeling me out to the recycling bin.
The only pleasure of retirement is that it gives you an excuse to be rude to people you never really liked anyway.
So become a curmudgeon, John Little. But dont go walking the plank while the sharks are circling (and they always are!). Read Pere Goriot by Balzac if you haven't already. The French are so much more realistic about these things...

Bobinovich
25-Apr-10, 13:28
I pretty much agree with Gronnuk. Although many years from retirement myself I've already decided that I'll continue in self-employment once I am, but will simply limit the services I'll offer to design, printing & websites only as it's what I enjoy most.

Over the last 16 years I've built up enough regular work in those fields to provide me a reasonable annual income, so I could theoretically start my retirement once my mortgage and other debts are paid off - hopefully by 50 - 55 :D.

David Banks
25-Apr-10, 14:05
It had crossed my mind - I do some private stuff anyway. Bit of pocket money. Why not continue?
But I have said I will do one more year - and I will do it for I keep my word,

May I suggest that you keep your word to your boss -- and to yourself? You'll be fine.

scotsannie
25-Apr-10, 18:29
Go for it JL I am fininshing work in November, but then I am one of the Old School when women finished at 60, being at work is stopping from doing so many things, I can't wait. (And I doubt if I will end up with Senile Dementia) or bored out of my tree. Good Luck

John Little
26-Apr-10, 21:44
My wife and I think you lot talk a lot of sense. You firm my mind; August 2011 I shall joined the ranks of the ex employed.

Roll it on.

Thankyou all - a rich seam of good and positive advice