PDA

View Full Version : Self-webucation

crayola
24-Apr-10, 19:43
Can you tell when people who post strong opinions are webucated?

I think I get most of them. On most forums I inhabit they tend to be overly sure of themselves and they 'know' a lot but most of their 'information' comes from the same or similar blogopedias, and most haven't even reached the 'valid' versus 'deductive' argument section of the first week's classes in Philosophy 101. But the real giveaway is they don't flash their boobs when they're down a bigger hole than they can climb out of. :lol:

John Little
24-Apr-10, 19:46
I think that is true. And the trouble is that their 'opinions' suffer from never having faced an audience of live people shooting them down in flames.

Web people you can igmore

Commore
24-Apr-10, 20:02
I think that is true. And the trouble is that their 'opinions' suffer from never having faced an audience of live people shooting them down in flames.

Web people you can igmore

Nonsense :)

crayola
24-Apr-10, 20:03
Wow! I posted something very similar on another forum a few hours ago.

Are you reading my mind JL? ;)

bekisman
24-Apr-10, 20:03
Ain't it called wiki'itis?

John Little
24-Apr-10, 20:14
"Web people you can igmore"

"Nonsense :o)"

LOL! Very true!! Utter tripe. :lol:

Crayola - it's plain sense that if you form your opinions in a vacuum then they are going to be fairly one sided. My view of forums is that I have a point of view and I state it. I have said my piece. But I know that other people have their points of view too. A lot of my opinions have been formed by talking them over and bouncing them round with people and I can and do change my mind.

So I ain't gonna keep coming back trying to de-convince people of their opinions. I just hope they think mine over. Which is fair enough.

I think if you get your views solely off the web then you will gravitate towards sites which reinforce what you already think.

But in a group of intelligent people you learn to be sure of what you say or get stomped on pdq! You also learn that compromise and consideration are very wise..

Actually Igmore is a very good word - I wonder what it could be used for....

crayola
24-Apr-10, 20:32
"Web people you can igmore"

"Nonsense :o)"

LOL! Very true!! Utter tripe. :lol:

Crayola - it's plain sense that if you form your opinions in a vacuum then they are going to be fairly one sided. My view of forums is that I have a point of view and I state it. I have said my piece. But I know that other people have their points of view too. A lot of my opinions have been formed by talking them over and bouncing them round with people and I can and do change my mind.

So I ain't gonna keep coming back trying to de-convince people of their opinions. I just hope they think mine over. Which is fair enough.

I think if you get your views solely off the web then you will gravitate towards sites which reinforce what you already think.

But in a group of intelligent people you learn to be sure of what you say or get stomped on pdq! You also learn that compromise and consideration are very wise..

Actually Igmore is a very good word - I wonder what it could be used for....
I ignore more than I used to so I think I igmore. :)

You're right on all accounts though. A typical thread containing incorrect information from the web was posted with indignation on this forum tonight. I expect it will have attracted more indignation already.

fred
25-Apr-10, 00:34

I think I get most of them. On most forums I inhabit they tend to be overly sure of themselves and they 'know' a lot but most of their 'information' comes from the same or similar blogopedias, and most haven't even reached the 'valid' versus 'deductive' argument section of the first week's classes in Philosophy 101. But the real giveaway is they don't flash their boobs when they're down a bigger hole than they can climb out of. :lol:

I am reading what you say on the web.

Should I just discount it based on the medium in which I read it?

Is it all information published on the web which is unsound or just the information you don't agree with?

wifie
25-Apr-10, 02:52
Wow! I posted something very similar on another forum a few hours ago.

Would that have been in reply to the very same question which you have ripped off and now asked on here then? ;) Is this where you get yer www-ideas?

joxville
25-Apr-10, 09:54
Would that have been in reply to the very same question which you have ripped off and now asked on here then? ;) Is this where you get yer www-ideas?

Oh, yer sharp missus. [lol]

andmac
25-Apr-10, 10:03
L a u g h s o u t l o u d !

golach
25-Apr-10, 10:04
Oh, yer sharp missus. [lol]

She is a web-ucated lassie Jox [lol]

wifie
25-Apr-10, 14:46
She is a web-ucated lassie Jox [lol]

Nah gol - all my education is from Mount Pleasant, THS and the school of life!

golach
25-Apr-10, 14:51
Nah gol - all my education is from Mount Pleasant, THS and the school of life!
Mine was West Public Primary, Abernyte Primary, Kinnaird primary, Inchture Primary, Invergowrie Junior Secondary, then the School of Life, but I also did an intesive few terms in the School of Hard Knocks[lol]

John Little
25-Apr-10, 15:03
"...then the School of Life, but I also did an intesive few terms in the School of Hard Knocks[lol] "

Exactly. So you've bounced your ideas off people; you talk to them; you find yourself in situations and react to them and your mind is open.

What you don't do is get all your ideas out of books or the net and set up your own version of truth as the only one; and you keep your mind with an open door.

Fred

"I am reading what you say on the web.

Is it all information published on the web which is unsound or just the information you don't agree with?"

Crayola has said nothing like this.

As I understand it she is saying that it is unsafe and potentially skewed to get information on a topic solely off the net and use it to form one's opinions. It's better to get it in an interactive way by taking - in pubs, clubs, parties etc - having a craic with people.

And I agree with her. That way the corners get knocked off and the dafter notions get discarded.

joxville
25-Apr-10, 15:12
Mine was West Public Primary, Abernyte Primary, Kinnaird primary, Inchture Primary, Invergowrie Junior Secondary, then the School of Life, but I also did an intesive few terms in the School of Hard Knocks[lol]

That was clever of you, spread yourself around so more people can dislike you! [lol]

Wish I'd thought of that. :(

joxville
25-Apr-10, 15:15
The girls were so tough at my school we called it the School of Hard Knockers. [lol]

David Banks
25-Apr-10, 15:20

. . . I haven't been blogging for very long and am not sure of the 'lingo.'

Does webucated mean:
1) familiar with modern technology, but not really educated?
2) taking advantage of the annonymity of blogs to express opinions they would not have the 'nerve' to express face to face with friends?
3) something else?

and:
4) You "inhabit" a number of forums? Is multiple blogging common? I 'found' caithness.org by googling 'caithness.' How does one search for blogs?
5) Is knowing philosophy a prerequisite for blogging?
6) When is it appropriate for one to flash one's boobs and what reaction would the flasher normally expect?

Venture
25-Apr-10, 16:24
The girls were so tough at my school we called it the School of Hard Knockers. [lol]

.....OK Sunday joker, I think you're getting too much sun now.:cool::lol:

RecQuery
25-Apr-10, 17:34
I find myself missing the Internet of the early 90's in many ways every now and again, before widespread public use. It was simpler, slower, ugly in terms of design, but it had its good points also.

Even the late 90's early 00's was still tolerable.

Forums tend to attract certain types, if its not been posted already you may find this illuminating - http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/ (http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/)

These sort of people; the 'webucated' always existed. I remember seeing them in Usenet discussions long ago.

fred
25-Apr-10, 18:21
As I understand it she is saying that it is unsafe and potentially skewed to get information on a topic solely off the net and use it to form one's opinions. It's better to get it in an interactive way by taking - in pubs, clubs, parties etc - having a craic with people.

And I agree with her. That way the corners get knocked off and the dafter notions get discarded.

Then as I am reading what you are saying on the web I will discount it as a crackpot idea.

John Little
25-Apr-10, 18:24
That is, of course, your privilege. To make it easier for you it might be good to add me to your ignore list.

fred
25-Apr-10, 18:34
I find myself missing the Internet of the early 90's in many ways every now and again, before widespread public use. It was simpler, slower, ugly in terms of design, but it had its good points also.

Like it wasn't permanently September.

fred
25-Apr-10, 19:18
That is, of course, your privilege. To make it easier for you it might be good to add me to your ignore list.

As I am reading everyone else on the web as well and hence everything they say must be discounted as a crackpot idea, I would have to put everyone on my ignore list.

joxville
25-Apr-10, 19:20
As I am reading everyone else on the web as well and hence everything they say must be discounted as a crackpot idea, I would have to put everyone on my ignore list.

Including yourself? :)

fred
25-Apr-10, 19:28
Including yourself? :)

Especially myself.

crayola
01-May-10, 13:29
"...then the School of Life, but I also did an intesive few terms in the School of Hard Knocks[lol] "

Exactly. So you've bounced your ideas off people; you talk to them; you find yourself in situations and react to them and your mind is open.

What you don't do is get all your ideas out of books or the net and set up your own version of truth as the only one; and you keep your mind with an open door.

Fred

"I am reading what you say on the web.

Is it all information published on the web which is unsound or just the information you don't agree with?"

Crayola has said nothing like this.

And I agree with her. That way the corners get knocked off and the dafter notions get discarded.That's about the gist of it JL.

I was pleased with dreaming up 'webucation' but it turns out many have done so before and with much the same meaning.

Boozeburglar
01-May-10, 14:22
the real giveaway is they don't flash their boobs when they're down a bigger hole than they can climb out of. :lol:

Here's hoping I happen to be looking down the hole when you do that! :)

crayola
01-May-10, 17:56
I hate to disappoint you BB but I don't dig myself into holes.

I've just been speaking to my pal, she was at Beltane in Edinburgh last night. There were a lot of people wearing nothing but red body paint. I'm sorry I missed it. :(