PDA

View Full Version : Delare War on the USA

golach
29-Apr-04, 08:27
SHOCK HORROR in todays Scottish Daily Record http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=14193282%26method=full%26siteid=89488% 26headline=barred%2dirn%2dbru-name_page.html
The US have banned our other National Drink...IRN-BRU.
G Dubbya and his war mongering government have banned Irn-Bru because the illustrious Messrs A G Barr will not divulge the ( secret ingredient) :roll:
Let us all declare war on the US and put an embargo on all US manufactured goods!!!!!!
How dare the US Customs and US Food and Drugs Agencies ban anything that comes from our wonderful country.
Now I think this should be a petition to the UN, Scottish Parliament, the Hauge, the League of Arab Nations or anyone else who will listen to us.

Golach

Mr P Cannop
29-Apr-04, 08:28
thats not right ??

OMG

:eek:

Steve and Shaz
29-Apr-04, 09:05
Maybe coca cola should be banned from the UK for the same reason - can't see the yanks being in favour of that economic inbalance !!!!

The Angel Of Death
29-Apr-04, 09:07
So how does that work for coca cola and kfc ???

There all have secret ingredients in them as well that no one is to keen to disclose

Anonymous
29-Apr-04, 11:09
IRN-BRU banned?????

Well thanks very much, GW. After reading this, I've binned the few US products I had in my cupboard and I won't be buying any more.

This of course will be nothing to do with any secret ingredient, it will be because the countries who decided to ditch cola drinks from the US due to the Iraq fiasco started drinking our glorious national soft drink instead. :roll:

Anyway, we all know what the secret ingerdient is, GIRDERS!!!

Barrs should make it part of their advertising campaign...

IRN-BRU : Banned in the USA!!!

I know it makes me want to drink more of it :)

Mr P Cannop
29-Apr-04, 11:25
maybe it should go to the scottish Parliament

rich
29-Apr-04, 15:04
Prohibition! We can become rich like Al Capone creating bath=tub Irn-Bru and smuggling it into the States from Canada.

George Brims
29-Apr-04, 17:55
Rats - they only just started allowing the import of Irn Bru into the US. Previously it was banned because of some labeling requirement, to do with the idea that the IRN part is considered a dietary supplement. I can tell you that US customs don't care if you bring in a can or two in your hand luggage. I can also tell you the aforementioned cans are the source of family strife if (number of cans) < (number of offspirng).

Oh wait I just noticed this whole thread started with the Daily Mirror, so it's probably nonsense anyway.

Naefearjustbeer
29-Apr-04, 20:34
Prohibition! We can become rich like Al Capone creating bath=tub Irn-Bru and smuggling it into the States from Canada.

Canadian Irn Bru is not the real mcoy because they dont allow cafeine in soft drinks. I have a bottle in the cupboard that I took home from canada a couple of years ago.

golach
29-Apr-04, 21:03
Oh wait I just noticed this whole thread started with the Daily Mirror, so it's probably nonsense anyway.
George, that was the first paper I read it in but I could not find the link so I have amended it to the Record with a link
Golach

Kenn
29-Apr-04, 22:11
Whey hey..go fer the jugalar golach..next they'll be banning hagis,oat cakes.girdle scones,Edinburgh rock to name a few.Bet they don't put an embargo on whisky tho' [lol] Well that's me of to the chippy for my supper KFC you've had yer chips.

The genuine Cornish Oggie

George Brims
30-Apr-04, 01:30
Oh no Lizzz they haven't allowed haggis in for ages, due to Mad Cow disease. Conversely, you are not allowed to import American beef products into EU countries, because American farmers are allowed to give their animals growth hormone.

Before Mad Cow, it was still a risky proposition to try to bring Haggis into the US because it was sort of at the discretion of the individual customs or Ag Dept person at the airport whether to allow it. The fact the haggis was pre-cooked was usually the saving grace, otherwise it could become an expensive piece of garbage.

A friend from Edinburgh once tried to bring a large one from McSweens of Bruntsfield back to Hawaii with the intention of organising a Burns Supper. As he was walking through Heathrow airport the carrier bag let go and the thing dropped to the floor, and exploded. The debris went for several feet in every direction. He did what I would do - dumped the carrier bag in the nearest bin and kept on walking!

Fortunately as Lizz says they don't have any problem letting in whisky, and here in California it is cheaper than at home, because of much lower tax. :D

spittalpunks
30-Apr-04, 15:31
Stuff the yanks

What do u expect from an idiot nation who wiped out the Red Indians and then said where's our history ..................tossers

They are nae use could nae even invade Grenada withoot making a hips o it

Still least the other side the Ruskies like it and its their 2nd fav drink after vodka

If I had a choice for a holiday between Afghanistan or Florida I'd be in the Kabul Comm drinking nips

rich
30-Apr-04, 15:57
My younger brother put a haggis in the Microwave and there was an explosion...I don't know if microwaves and haggis are completely incompatible but I can vouch for the bang - or more like a muffled, soggy explosion - not a sharp cracking sort of bang - more like some subterranean creature being expelled from a bog, steam rather than smoke although there was a layer of smokiness - rather like the olfactory sensation of a single malt - but basically like being slammed into by a fat man in a Turkish bath...enough of this.
But while I am on the topic does anyone know if Caithness has ever experienced a bog-slide. They are on record in Ireland. Entire bogs lurch across the landscape for distances of up to about half a mile, engulfing villages. Sounds like another good reason for the Irish to head to Liverpool or New York....

rich
30-Apr-04, 16:00
So, I put matters to the Google and guess what? Bog-slides in Ireland are associated with the installation of these wind power propellor thingies.
http://greenparty.ennis.ie/press/tiger/derrybrien-where-the-bogs-move_Nov03.htm

George Brims
30-Apr-04, 18:12
In order for stuff to slide, you would require a slope. Maybe Caithness is too flat?

I had heard of those slides in Ireland, so perhaps the people putting up the windmills have too, and will take precautions. On the other hand history repeats daily in all kinds of ways, so maybe they will just bash on regardless, and great wodges of peat will be slithering all over the place.

golach
30-Apr-04, 19:38
My younger brother put a haggis in the Microwave and there was an explosion...I don't know if microwaves and haggis are completely incompatible but I can vouch for the bang....
Rich I always cook my Haggi in the microwave, you have to pierce the skin first and a gentle cook, I get perfect results all the time :confused :D

Kenn
30-Apr-04, 22:20
Hang on a minute gbrims..according to all the recipes I have haggis is made from sheep offal not beef.So they got lamb banned too? And I can confirm that a haggis does a fair impression of a damp squib when it explodes in a micro wave..only did that once tho' ,had to spend the next two days with a blow torch trying to clean the mess! It was reminiscent of that peat bog slide that was mentioned :p

I'm sticking to 'Oggies in future.

AR
01-May-04, 10:19
How can anybody live without irnbru? I can live without coke though!

jjc
04-May-04, 11:16
http://www.barrshop.co.uk/images/items/bigs/IB106_B.jpg

Marketing genius!! [lol]

Anonymous
04-May-04, 11:22
hehe jjc, bet you wouldn't get that through customs either...

Too sharp lookin' :eek: