PDA

View Full Version : how to amuse a rabbit.

balto
23-Apr-10, 14:52
We got a house rabbit last night, but not sure how to keep him amused dont want him to get bored, is there anything that rabbits will play with, any advice would be great.

bodster
23-Apr-10, 18:41
ps3? ..........................

unicorn
23-Apr-10, 19:04
Surely having owned 3 rabbits before you have some ideas.

superceltic
23-Apr-10, 21:50
be sure to have plenty chew things for them to play with, they have lots of things in pets at home as i had 2 house rabbits that chewed faceings, skirtings, wires and wall corners! and used to strip the wallpaper! mine used to love chaseing after things, or wripping the daily paper to pieces! :lol:

balto
23-Apr-10, 22:26
Surely having owned 3 rabbits before you have some ideas.
they werent house rabbits

ShelleyCowie
23-Apr-10, 22:30
Toilet roll tubes!!! Me and my sister used to have 2 house rabbits and always gave them toilet roll tubes to chew on and roll around. Chew toys, you can get some from Jim Bews i think or tesco...not sure.

Maybe try hiding little treats too for the wee cutie to search and sniff out :Razz

But the toilet roll tubes are good for them to chew and muck around with!

changilass
23-Apr-10, 22:33
So I take it house rabits are litter tray trained a bitty like cats?

unicorn
23-Apr-10, 22:55
Yes and a rabbit in a hutch and a house rabbit are not very different, both should have the same time and attention given to them and you should be looking at all safety aspects from their level. A rabbit hutched should have plenty of toys and stimulation the same as a house rabbit. The main difference is you litter train a house rabbit.
Try this link http://www.rabbit.org/

sweetpea
24-Apr-10, 09:58
I have a house rabbit and he is trained to do his business in a large litter tray although when he is free ranging there will be the odd escapee. He has a base in the sitting room which consists of a puppy play pen, hideout etc and that's where his water and food is as well.
He has a mate called Tigger(old soft toy) to take his frustrations out on and he also has a plastic ball that he rolls around, his ball skills are pretty amazing. Apart from that he loves a cardboard box, baby rattles that he picks up and throws and he loves watching tv in front of the fire.

Sarah
24-Apr-10, 17:21
They can have the same toys as outside rabbtis :)

Leanne
24-Apr-10, 17:27
I got mine some wooden coloured pieces of wood (courtesy of PAH) which they alternated between throwing around and chewing.

The hard corn on the cob things are good too.

Toilet rolls as mentioned before are great

Tissue boxes will keep them occupied if you pop some of their dinner inside the hole - they have to chew through to find the tasties :)

balto
24-Apr-10, 20:36
thankyou everyone for your ideas, so next question when it comes to litter training them, is it done the same way as with a kitten.

Leanne
24-Apr-10, 21:08
I found the area that they looked like they were going to 'go' in and then put the tray there. Once the rabbit knows what it's for you can move it somewhere more convenient.

Expect currants for a while though - it's easy to wee train them but they do tend to poo more readily.

Dadie
24-Apr-10, 21:26
Look out for cable nibbling/chewing!
Phone cable is irrisistable to furries... bunnies/chinchillas/chipmunks have all wrecked phones I had!
Go round the house on hands and knees and look at all the things they could get their teeth into... harmful stuff or stuff you dont want wrecked should be made inaccessible!

unicorn
24-Apr-10, 23:33
To litter train take some soiled bedding and place it in the tray in an accessible area to them. Not all rabbits will litter train and be aware that a buck (male) unneutered may begin to spray when older.

sweetpea
25-Apr-10, 00:51
As above, but it's worth neutering too that stops a lot of the bad behaviour;) I find each rabbit is different, some like things, some don't, such as corn on the cobs, 2 of my pairs like them, none of the others do.