PDA

View Full Version : Online Newspaper (why bother)

jock leith
23-Apr-10, 10:16
Living away from home I really do look forward to reading the Courier @ Groat on line.But lately the Family Notices etc, do not get updated for weeks at a time.The last time they were updated was 7th April,and I guarantee that when updates are made all the information in between is lost.So whoever is in charge of updating data online for the newspapers <Either do the job properly or forget it altogether< Do any other ORGERS feel the same way ???????????
J LEITH

mrlennie
23-Apr-10, 10:17
No. But I can see your point.

theboss
23-Apr-10, 10:32
Living away from home I really do look forward to reading the Courier @ Groat on line.But lately the Family Notices etc, do not get updated for weeks at a time.The last time they were updated was 7th April,and I guarantee that when updates are made all the information in between is lost.So whoever is in charge of updating data online for the newspapers <Either do the job properly or forget it altogether< Do any other ORGERS feel the same way ???????????
J LEITH

Why don't you address this issue to the Groat Office directly then?

advertising@nosn.co.uk or 01955 602424.

jock leith
23-Apr-10, 11:15
Why don't you address this issue to the Groat Office directly then?

advertising@nosn.co.uk or 01955 602424.

Have e-mailed them and awaiting reply,but I won't hold my breath.

changilass
23-Apr-10, 11:56
As this is a free sevice I don't really see that you have anything to complain about.

Now when the new pay as you read system comes in it will be a different matter and you would be entitled to your money back.

Gogglebox
23-Apr-10, 18:42
It is generally a mess of a website and people not in Caithness do look forward to reading it

If its offering a service it has to do it right especially something so sensitive as family notices

Every other media organisation manages to get there online pages right

Its a poor website and to be honest for the cost of it a very poor paper these days

I think they have become complacent that people will buy it anyway just to check whats on at the weekend and the family notices.

I keep saying i must stop it but like everyone else buy it for the 2 minutes of reading it has!

Sandra_B
23-Apr-10, 18:49
I know what you mean, I went to the on-line site when I lived in Germany but it's just a waste of time. Now I'm home I buy the Groat and say it's a waste of money...

Vistravi
23-Apr-10, 22:45
I know what you mean, I went to the on-line site when I lived in Germany but it's just a waste of time. Now I'm home I buy the Groat and say it's a waste of money...

My mum buys the groat and courier every week.

I used to buy the highland news in ness every week and it was really imformative. Compared to the highland news the groat and courier are a waste of money. There is never normally anything of interest in it and i flick through it and for me it only take a couple of minutes to read.

EDDIE
24-Apr-10, 07:31
J LEITH

I think a lot of that is deliberate not upadating regular if they were to keep there website up to date know one would by there papers if they can read the same thing for free online.
The press and journal are doing the same thing with there website except you can by electronic version of the paper online i think its about 26 pence changing times?

_Ju_
24-Apr-10, 08:17
As this is a free sevice I don't really see that you have anything to complain about.

Now when the new pay as you read system comes in it will be a different matter and you would be entitled to your money back.

It is not "free". It sells advertising space that those who are online reading the newspaper see.

Sara Jevo
24-Apr-10, 09:07
A little bit off the point, but . . .

Take a look at the Rupert Murdoch media - the Sun, Times, Sky etc - and ask yourself why Murdoch has turned them into cheerleaders for David Cameron's Tories.

Murdoch wants to begin charging readers to access the on-line content. A big obstacle to that is the BBC - why would anyone pay to read the Times on-line when the BBC has such a huge resource for free?

It's widely believed that Cameron, if elected, will dismantle and restrain the BBC, in return for Murdoch's backing during the election, clearing the way for his business plan to succeed.

Lots of other papers have successfully moved to an integrated on-line and print service, selling advertising across both media and breaking news on-line as well as in print. I don't understand why the Groat and Courier is sticking so stubbornly with the medium that is in decline everywhere - the print edition - and not spreading its resources across both platforms.