PDA

View Full Version : Rural Libraries in north face axe - P&J page 3

pat
22-Apr-10, 21:17
I live in Stornoway now and was very disturbed to read on Page 3 of the Press and Journal today about possible loss of Wick Library due to cutbacks and surprised not to find anything about it here on the org.

Please, please get out there and support your local library and all it means to you, your community and the future generation. I cannot imagine Wick without the library and all it houses.
The article is below.

Rural libraries in north face the axecouncil considering future of 17 facilities in highlands as it strives to make cutbacks
By iain ramage

Published: 22/04/2010

Libraries in some of the most remote communities could close as a result of Highland Council’s continuing budget crisis, it has emerged.

A list of 17 has surfaced in response to a Freedom of Information (FoI) request from a concerned reader.

Names of potential closures have been released for the first time as a region-wide public consultation on the authority’s entire budget proposals for the next few years continues.

The exercise is to gauge public thinking on a wide range of possible service cuts aimed at clawing back millions of pounds.

Having already agreed £23million of overall savings, the council is in search of a further £36million.

The consultation will run until the end of June at which stage the 80 councillors will resume their deliberations. Libraries, swimming pools and museums are among services that could take a hit.

Responding to the FoI request, head of community learning and leisure Ian Murray confirmed yesterday that council officers had identified libraries at Plockton, Caol, Invergordon, Helmsdale, Ardersier and Beauly for possible closures that would save around £94,000.

The closure of 11 others – Bettyhill, Knoydart, Achiltibuie, Lochcarron, Cromarty, Golspie, Lairg, Broadford, Mallaig, Bonar Bridge and Muir of Ord – would save almost £100,000.

And in search of a total £666,000 saving within the libraries budget, a “large library” is being considered for closure leaving libraries in Inverness, Culloden and Wick in the frame.

The woman who submitted the FoI request did not wish to be identified. She said she sought the information because she felt communities should be aware of which libraries are threatened in order to have a proper opportunity to respond to the consultation. Councillors were, until now, unaware of the names on the list.

Mr Murray said it may be that no library closes if savings are found elsewhere, but if there are closures it would be likely that mobile libraries would replace the static ones. He said: “If the full saving is required there is no doubt this would be a fairly significant reduction in service. However, the council is, of course, committed to trying to minimise that through methods such as the use of a mobile library service to the more remote areas.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Government said: “The provision of local library services is a matter for individual local authorities.

“We have maintained our pledge to increase local government’s share of the overall Scottish budget, year on year, although funding for councils in 2010-11 would have been £174million higher had it not been for the Westminster-imposed reduction in our budget.” As well as a series of local ward forum debates, the council’s consultation is online at www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/blog/

Alice in Blunderland
22-Apr-10, 22:51
Gosh they are even looking at knocking out some street lighting.

Its backwards to the dark ages we are going not forwards to a bright future :roll:

gollach
22-Apr-10, 23:41
Gosh they are even looking at knocking out some street lighting.

Its backwards to the dark ages we are going not forwards to a bright future :roll:

Some places have way too much street lighting, many lamp posts in our towns should never have been erected in the first place. Don't get me started on the new ones on the Victoria Walk.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Apr-10, 00:03
Im okay theres no street lights where I live and we can watch a lovely night sky. :)

Bobinovich
23-Apr-10, 00:29
...Don't get me started on the new ones on the Victoria Walk.

It does appear far too often that the council spend on unnecessary things at the expense of far existing commitments. I believe there's a mindset where they feel they must invest in new infrastructure, when at the moment, in the current financial climate, they'd be better consolidating and maintaining what's already here. All it's doing is stretching resources to breaking point and something eventually has to give.

wifie
23-Apr-10, 00:33
Some places have way too much street lighting, many lamp posts in our towns should never have been erected in the first place. Don't get me started on the new ones on the Victoria Walk.

It does appear far too often that the council spend on unnecessary things at the expense of far existing commitments. I believe there's a mindset where they feel they must invest in new infrastructure, when at the moment, in the current financial climate, they'd be better consolidating and maintaining what's already here. All it's doing is stretching resources to breaking point and something eventually has to give.

Completely agree! Could not believe it when I saw those lights!

Venture
23-Apr-10, 07:31
Perhaps it's not a case of doing away with library facilities all together in Wick. At recent Stakeholders' Meetings to do with the proposed new Wick High School, plans showed the public library being incorporated within the new school.

wifie
23-Apr-10, 09:16
Valid point, Venture, community campuses seem to be the norm nowadays and are a fabulous idea!

davem
23-Apr-10, 10:23
People have fallen over the cliff at Victoria walk. Illumination may help.

wifie
23-Apr-10, 10:46
I think you will find that the lights in question are nowhere near the cliffs!

cuddlepop
23-Apr-10, 12:15
Perhaps it's not a case of doing away with library facilities all together in Wick. At recent Stakeholders' Meetings to do with the proposed new Wick High School, plans showed the public library being incorporated within the new school.

Thats more than likely their plan but worry just how long you might be without a library or will they do the sensible thing and wait until the new building is ready....need I ask?;)

Sage
23-Apr-10, 12:37

So where does that leave the library staff and the school librarian?

Perhaps they should be chasing non-payers and cutting funding for consultations and implementing idiotic schemes. Communication within the council could also cut costs considerably [evil]

cuddlepop
23-Apr-10, 12:47
So where does that leave the library staff and the school librarian?

Perhaps they should be chasing non-payers and cutting funding for consultations and implementing idiotic schemes. Communication within the council could also cut costs considerably [evil]

They all end up working in the new community facilitie ie the new Wick High school, thats what happened here when we got our new library and they shut the one in the village.
Lots of tears and tantrums but it happened and now the elderly feel "vulnerable " when sharing the libary with the school pupils and the noise level is horrendous.
:mad:

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Apr-10, 12:47
At least the county's many, many Gaelic speakers - as well as Gaelic-speaking tourists to the area - will see the money that could save Wick Library ensuring they know where they're be going.

wifie
23-Apr-10, 16:18
Communication within the council could also cut costs considerably [evil]

Very true - I don't work for the council but have seen them in action up close and personal down here in the south and it makes me furious to see how my council tax is so obviously squandered! It would seem all councils are the same! I think it all needs a good shake up to get them to wake up!

gollach
23-Apr-10, 16:55
People have fallen over the cliff at Victoria walk. Illumination may help.

Staying away from the Victoria Walk when you've been drinking would help even more, illuminated or not.

Puzzled
25-Apr-10, 13:39

But they are also considering cutting 7 school librarian posts! Wonder which schools they will [if it happens] choose? What criteria is going to be used to decide this?

John Little
25-Apr-10, 13:57
Does anybody actually use the public libraries these days?

I have not been in one for at least 20 years.

Puzzled
25-Apr-10, 14:01

Public Libraries are used by many and School Libraries are vital to support literacy.

wifie
25-Apr-10, 15:00

My family use our beautiful library very regularly! Books should be shared and libraries are the ultimate recycling!

I have seen you post John that you intend to write a book (yes I think you did say one that would be sold in local post offices - if there are any of those left) but surely you would hope a copy could be available for anyone to read free and for posterity?

John Little
25-Apr-10, 15:26
I am not against libraries.
I use big libraries and archives sometimes - but not my local one.

And yes I want to write when I retire/ change careers and do the sort of wee book you buy in the PO.

But nobody I know uses the local library. I go past and see the generation older than me in there.

So I wonder what percentage of the population actually use them. That's all.

wifie
25-Apr-10, 15:42
I am not against libraries.
I use big libraries and archives sometimes - but not my local one.

And yes I want to write when I retire/ change careers and do the sort of wee book you buy in the PO.

But nobody I know uses the local library. I go past and see the generation older than me in there.

So I wonder what percentage of the population actually use them. That's all.

I am happy to report that I see many of my childrens' peers in the library and any events they hold, be they for the young, the old or whoever are very well subscribed! The library is a fabulous resource I would hate to see disappear! There is a well used coffee shop attached which is full of readers like you see in any fancy bookshop. I have nothing against fancy bookshops either and I do like to buy and keep a good book!

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Apr-10, 15:48

I use them. They're an invaluable resource of continued education. I spend hours in Edinburgh City Library and the adjoining Music library.

John Little
25-Apr-10, 15:59
Ok - you stimulated me to have a look and I found this;

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/the-big-question-how-are-public-libraries-changing-and-what-does-their-future-hold-1794725.html

I suspect Caithness may buck the trend - but this article does not cover Scotland. I suspect if libraries are to survive then they must do as ytours is obviously doing and establish it in childrens' minds that they are cool places to go to.

I am happy to report that I see many of my childrens' peers in the library and any events they hold, be they for the young, the old or whoever are very well subscribed! The library is a fabulous resource I would hate to see disappear! There is a well used coffee shop attached which is full of readers like you see in any fancy bookshop. I have nothing against fancy bookshops either and I do like to buy and keep a good book!

I use them. They're an invaluable resource of continued education. I spend hours in Edinburgh City Library and the adjoining Music library.

I do not disagree with you. I've used the British Library, UCL library etc very happily - but I have never used my little local library. The big libraries have large and useful collections, Parliamentary papers, archives, micro-film, local records etc.

I am not knocking libraries.

I just wanted to know how many people were using them.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Apr-10, 16:42
Whenever I'm back in Thurso, John, I always make a point of going to the local library. I like reading local books, local history, and it's handy if you want to rent a DVD or use the Internet. I like using the microfiche to see newspapers from yesteryear, too, and there's a quiet room there if you need to get the head down to work on something. The local library always seems to have posters up advertising local events and the added luxury of the gallery next door is a bonus. A lovely place all round. It would be a sin if it, or the Wick library, is ever removed.

Sage
25-Apr-10, 17:17
If you dont USE your local libraries then this is when funding stops....the council dont look at what people like, they look at cold hard facts.

So many libraries these days are run by non-qualified assistants, the professional librarians (yes, you have to study hard to gain a Librarianship degree) are being edged out. Especially these days when many "educated people" seem to think that all they do is stamp books and buy in a few books.

Libraries and librarians, both school and public are vital to the local area, they dont just hold books, but more and more these days they house exhibition space, meeting areas, give the young children their story-times and get kids into reading early (and it means the parents dont have to spend all their money on books). They are also places of social contact for the elderly, community information points, free internet access and you can go in to read the papers. As well as being a place where you can pick up the latest bestsellers you dont want to keep, you just want to read.

As for school librarians, they are worth their weight in gold. Not only do they give schoolkids access to books, they can actually help improve the literacy levels and encourage the ones that dont like reading, or dont know how to go about researching. Their skills range from spotting the insecure dyslexic to honing the skills of 6yrs before they go to University.

So please support your local libraries :D (and yes, I do know what Im talking about here)

brandy
25-Apr-10, 17:19
we were just in the wick library a week ago, as a whole family after school. will prob. be back next week to return books and pick out more. the day we were in .. on a friday afternoon there was several people in . i know that ceyac goes quite often to the library as ben is often there with his class.. and they have lots of things on for children. ie reading groups. you can even rent films from the library and have internet acess..so its not just going in grabbing a book and getting out again.. lots of research going on as well.. and there is the gallery up the stairs.

cazmanian_minx
25-Apr-10, 20:32
I use the mobile library service and I think it's utterly fantastic. Every three weeks the van parks at the top of my drive for me to choose books, I can borrow up to 30 titles for up to six weeks and I can log on to the library database via the web and order any book in the Highland Libraries system to be delivered to my door, free of charge.

I grew up in Bristol, which has a wonderful central library, and I always thought of it as a magical place when I was a kid - they let you take books away for FREE! I probably sound like I'm in my dotage, but I'm actually 34!

cuddlepop
26-Apr-10, 07:23
HC have just purchased some new mobile library vans,I think they've decided already whats happening.:(

wifie
26-Apr-10, 11:10
I use the mobile library service and I think it's utterly fantastic. Every three weeks the van parks at the top of my drive for me to choose books, I can borrow up to 30 titles for up to six weeks and I can log on to the library database via the web and order any book in the Highland Libraries system to be delivered to my door, free of charge.

I grew up in Bristol, which has a wonderful central library, and I always thought of it as a magical place when I was a kid - they let you take books away for FREE! I probably sound like I'm in my dotage, but I'm actually 34!

Nah! You sound like you LOVE books!!! :D

Nothing at all wrong with the mobile library service - experienced it in several places.

sam09
26-Apr-10, 12:15
Wick Library and Heritage Centre is a must for all visitors to Caithness. The staff there go out of their way to help people looking up their family history,and it is a great place to take the kids when it is raining when on holiday they meet children of their own age and find out about each other, there is always some-thing going on to interest visitors to Caithness. Would the people of Wick want another historical building to lay empty and fall into disrepair? I dont think so. This is a lovely building and a great asset and should not be lost.

Puzzled
26-Apr-10, 13:18
HC have just purchased some new mobile library vans,I think they've decided already whats happening.:(

So much for consultation! Wonder what the cost of the vans were and how many. Are they withdrawing the old ones?

cuddlepop
26-Apr-10, 16:45
So much for consultation! Wonder what the cost of the vans were and how many. Are they withdrawing the old ones?

cant remeber how many they purchased but saw one in Loch Carron with a new fancy logo on its side.:roll:

ducati
27-Apr-10, 21:51
Wick Library and Heritage Centre is a must for all visitors to Caithness. The staff there go out of their way to help people looking up their family history,and it is a great place to take the kids when it is raining when on holiday they meet children of their own age and find out about each other, there is always some-thing going on to interest visitors to Caithness. Would the people of Wick want another historical building to lay empty and fall into disrepair? I dont think so. This is a lovely building and a great asset and should not be lost.

Yes sam I can't imagine what else they could do with this lovely building.

I can't see how mobile libraries will be cheaper, particularly as HC probably own the buildings housing local Libraries. Prob a scam to get some EU funding ;)

pat
28-Apr-10, 09:09
I do hope the folk of Wick and surrounding area realise the great assets they have in the library, archive, staff etc, and will fight for it to be retained in the area it now exists.

I consider moving it to the High School if and when it is extended would mean further inconvenience for many, also users would be liable to intimidation from the volume of school pupils, the pupils would be open to distractions of the general public being in their study place, the possibility of this facility being used by folk interested in younger folk appalls me - school is a place for complete trust and should be a sealed unit.

Personally the library facility wherever I have lived has been extremely valuable in all sorts of ways and I cannot imagine life without my local library - from borrowing books, DVDs, Cd's, photocopying, computer access, research facilities, to sitting reading the papers, catching up on what is happening locally from all the notices, just a few of the things I do in my local library which i use at least twice a week. The library I use has much less facilities than Wick and I would be fighting like mad to retain it if it was threatened with possible closure.

Now at least the org folk are aware of the possibility of this happening so hopefully some folk will be prepared to fight to retain the facilities and staff in Wick.

Venture
04-Jun-10, 15:43
I do hope the folk of Wick and surrounding area realise the great assets they have in the library, archive, staff etc, and will fight for it to be retained in the area it now exists.

I consider moving it to the High School if and when it is extended would mean further inconvenience for many, also users would be liable to intimidation from the volume of school pupils, the pupils would be open to distractions of the general public being in their study place, the possibility of this facility being used by folk interested in younger folk appalls me - school is a place for complete trust and should be a sealed unit.

Personally the library facility wherever I have lived has been extremely valuable in all sorts of ways and I cannot imagine life without my local library - from borrowing books, DVDs, Cd's, photocopying, computer access, research facilities, to sitting reading the papers, catching up on what is happening locally from all the notices, just a few of the things I do in my local library which i use at least twice a week. The library I use has much less facilities than Wick and I would be fighting like mad to retain it if it was threatened with possible closure.

Now at least the org folk are aware of the possibility of this happening so hopefully some folk will be prepared to fight to retain the facilities and staff in Wick.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8221/Wick_High_plan_gets_cash_boost.html

It does now look like the present library will be closed and on the move to the new Wick High School when and wherever it is built.