PDA

View Full Version : A Papoose needed?

Iffy
22-Apr-10, 18:31
My cat of 16 years (had her since she was a kitten - and yes, she's spoilt!!!!) has obviously got "seperation anxiety"

Apart from strapping her into a papoose on my back, has anyone any ideas of how to maybe make her more independent?

Liz
22-Apr-10, 19:14
Aw bless her. Think it may be a bit late in the day now to be honest but she must love you so much that she always wants to be with you.

However, if it is causing problems you could try leaving an item of your clothing with her when you have to go out.
Also, go out of a room for a couple of minutes and then go back in and gradually increase the time you leave her.
She just needs reassurance that you will always come back to her.

Otherwise I think you will need to look for a papoose on Ebay!:lol:

I actually remember carrying an injured pigeon that I found around in a bag which went around my front as I wanted to keep it warm and reassured.:D

teenybash
22-Apr-10, 19:22
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-Style-Carrier-Tote-Carrying-Bag-for-Dog-Pet_W0QQitemZ170474648504QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet _Supplies_Dogs?hash=item27b114b3b8

She loves you..........:)

ShelleyCowie
22-Apr-10, 19:27
My cat of 16 years (had her since she was a kitten - and yes, she's spoilt!!!!) has obviously got "seperation anxiety"

Apart from strapping her into a papoose on my back, has anyone any ideas of how to maybe make her more independent?

She is yer bairn Iffy and she loves you :D

As Liz said, just gradually leave her for short periods of time, and leave something with your scent on it aswell to make her feel comfortable.

But she just loves you and wants to be with you :D

Iffy
22-Apr-10, 20:07
Thanks Liz, Teenybash and Shelley for your replies !!

Yeah, I know she loves me, just as much as I love her - and, yes, Shelley, thats one of my many nicknames for her - "The Bairn" !!

In some ways its lovely how she always wants to be at my side, but there are times when I just want her to go and do her own thing - eg. - when I'm wearing "good" clothes and sitting down; she just desperately needs to be on my lap !!!!

Last night, whilst I was reading a book in bed, she just had to sit on my shoulder (I was "slouched" down in the bed!) and I had to use many contortions to accomodate her and be able to read my book at the same time !!

After my shoulder got sore from being in the same position for so long, I very gently pushed her off the bed..........ten minutes later she was back.... curled up on my other shoulder and breathing right in my face (Yes, she just had to stay there for a while as well ) !!!!

She has a "hooded" fluffy bed in our bedroom and another in the sitting room!!!!

Most times she'll only eat from her bowl when I'm standing there in the kitchen; as soon as I go through the house, she's right behind me !!!

She's my "Bairn", but I must admit it's starting to drive me crazy !!!!

Iffy
22-Apr-10, 20:15
P/S - Forgot to mention - she's sitting up on my shoulders and rubbing her chin against my glasses and purring for all she is worth as I type this !!!!! :eek:;)

Liz
22-Apr-10, 22:48
Aw bless her.:D

However, I can understand that it must be a problem at times.

Has she always been like this or did something happened which made her start this behaviour?

I would highly recommend trying a Feliway diffuser as this should help her relax and is very good at helping with behavioural problems. The best place I have found for this is www.vetuk.co.uk

I would also recommend adding some Rescue Remedy to her water.

I'm afraid you may just need to persevere in very gently moving her down each times and see who gets fed up first!:lol: