PDA

View Full Version : Not sure?

Vistravi
22-Apr-10, 14:39
I don't know if this is the best place or not but as its something that is bothering me.

I've been on iron tablets for the last fortnight and for the last three days i have felt not right, very lethargic and generally ick. I read the side affects of the tabelts and i do have a couple of them but it doesn't explain the general feeling of not feeling a 100% and lethargic. I find out tomorrow whether or not they have put my iron levels to a safe level or not so have to carry on taking them despite how they're making me feel. I'm hoping my iron levels are fine and normal now and tomorrow will be the last i have to take them but if not i'll have to keep taking them. I always feel fine untill ten minutes of taking one and the effects last for a few hours in which then i take another and so forth it happens again.

The iron tablets are called ferrous sulphate tablets. Has anyone else been on these and felt this way? Or could it be a bug i've caught and i'm just putting it down to the tablets?

changilass
22-Apr-10, 14:53
Go talk to your doc and if need be get a second opinion from another doc.

Not a good idea to get medical advice from the web, speak to the professionals - that's what they trained for.

aurora32
22-Apr-10, 15:45
Hi,

Yes you can get symptoms of lethargy and sickness from iron tablets, id phone the Dr's back and tell them how its making you feel and see what they suggest not much point in feeling as bad or worse by something that is meant to be helping. Hope you get is sorted soon :)

ShelleyCowie
22-Apr-10, 16:13
I agree with changi. get to the Dr's. It could be a bug or the tablets. But we aint pros :D

Turquoise
22-Apr-10, 16:16
Docs seem to be very quick to chuck people on iron tablets and they can be very damaging to your insides. If it is specifically for iron deficiency, then this can also be caused by general mineral and/or vitamin deficiences.

Take a look here:

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Met-Obe/Minerals.html

Might give you some help.

Scarybiscuits03
23-Apr-10, 10:19
Do you take these tablets on an empty stomach? I'm on a number of different vit's and I find that if I take them on an empty stomach I feel very sick so I always like to eat something first.

Fluff
23-Apr-10, 10:24
I was iron tablets a couple of years ago and looks like I may have to go back on them, I don't remember having any real problems on them but I always take pills before I go to bed (unless told otherwise) as that I may I don't get the side effects :)

Dadie
23-Apr-10, 11:01
Ferrous sulphide tabs make a lot of people feel yuck!
Just watch out for the constipation or squits too!
I would buy spa tone from boots instead as it was kinder on my tum.
Not long to go though....but it is a good idea to get the iron levels sorted before you have your baby
xxx

wifie
23-Apr-10, 11:04
Vis - get yersel to the doc! On the subject of iron tablets - I don't like them. Much better to get yourself right with diet I think. Having said that you may get conflicting advice on that too!

Dadie
23-Apr-10, 11:14
I took pregnacare vitamin tabs when pregnant and even though they had a little bit of iron in them I still needed extra iron in the last few weeks even though I was eating broccoli, cabbage etc washed down with fresh orange juice to help absorbtion of the iron!
The docs might swap you on to another form of tabs!

Vistravi
23-Apr-10, 11:29
Do you take these tablets on an empty stomach? I'm on a number of different vit's and I find that if I take them on an empty stomach I feel very sick so I always like to eat something first.

I usually take the first one after breakfast and the second one i must admit i do sometimes take before eating. I do find though that regardless of food or not i still feel awful after taking them.

Ferrous sulphide tabs make a lot of people feel yuck!
Just watch out for the constipation or squits too!
I would buy spa tone from boots instead as it was kinder on my tum.
Not long to go though....but it is a good idea to get the iron levels sorted before you have your baby
xxx

I've been fine on them untill a few days ago. Ugh they're awful. Going to wait untill i get my blood results back and if i need to keep taking them i'll be making an appointment for first thing monday to get them changed.

Vis - get yersel to the doc! On the subject of iron tablets - I don't like them. Much better to get yourself right with diet I think. Having said that you may get conflicting advice on that too!

Aye i've done very well so far in ensuring i was getting enough iron from my diet. It's only been since 7 and half months into the pregnancy that my monkey is taking more from me leaving me low. They have helped but now the feeling better has been replaced with feeling yuck.

Put it down from 2 to 1 untill i find out today what my iron levels are. I'm really hoping that i don't have to take them anymore after today. If not then its the docs i will go to get them changed to something gentlier.

_Ju_
23-Apr-10, 11:51
Iron tablets are hard on the gut. They can make you obstipated or give you the runs. That could account for your feeling of malaise.

John Little
23-Apr-10, 11:58
Iron does cause constipation. I had trouble a few years ago when giving blood - my blood floated in the little green bottle so they would not take it.

They told me to go away and take Metatone - so I did.

My feeling of TATT (tired all the time) soon went and next time I went to give blood it took a dive to the bottom of the bottle.

Now I use Metatone whenever I feel run down and after a couple of days I feel right as rain.

Commercial over