PDA

View Full Version : Gold & silver Wanted

Mr Z
22-Apr-10, 11:07
Just had a leaflet through the door from goldsmiths north east buying gold at Pentland Hotel & Queens Hotel this weekend.
Their leaflet says' no one pays more' the prices quoted are very poor. eg £80 for a gold sovereign when you can easily sell them for over £140.
Phoned the mobile number and the guy had no idea about prices yet he is currently buying in Peterhead.
They are a Newcastle firm registered in Reading.
If going along to sell the family gold and silver check out how much you can get elsewhere first!

S&LHEN
22-Apr-10, 12:59
Totally agree same happened to me when I kept asking he said I ll get Vikki to phone you back I said can you not just give me a rough idea of how much you woull pay for gold rings he said £6.50 per gram... What a total rip off!!!!

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 13:15
Best way to deal with all the "Cash for gold" merchants is to ring up on freephone number, request a pre-paid envelope, then return it back to them full of stones, the garden variety.

S&LHEN
22-Apr-10, 13:21
ha ha ha Lmao what a great idea ha ha ha write a note with them and tell them you ll sell them to them at rock bottom prices :lol::lol:

Best way to deal with all the "Cash for gold" merchants is to ring up on freephone number, request a pre-paid envelope, then return it back to them full of stones, the garden variety.

jimbews
22-Apr-10, 13:35
Totally agree same happened to me when I kept asking he said I ll get Vikki to phone you back I said can you not just give me a rough idea of how much you woull pay for gold rings he said £6.50 per gram... What a total rip off!!!!

Which had an article about this in January:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/01/which-slams-cash-for-gold-buyers--195712

They said that you are MUCH better going to an independent jeweller or a pawnbroker.

ducati
22-Apr-10, 13:49
Which had an article about this in January:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/01/which-slams-cash-for-gold-buyers--195712

They said that you are MUCH better going to an independent jeweller or a pawnbroker.

While I agree you can do better, that article is a bit misleading. The offers were a percentage of Scrap value, not retail value, as Which was using, that is why they look so poor in comparison. The gold buyers don't care if the jewellery is brand new or 50 years old. The scrap value is the same.

The adverts I have seen allude to "old, broken, unwanted" jewellery.:D

Ajax
22-Apr-10, 14:07
good one anfield you made my day

floyed
22-Apr-10, 14:18
Ive had these leaflets put through the door a few times in the past couple of weeks, all have been put in the bin!!:D