PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep....

rambo1978
22-Apr-10, 05:03
Any ideas people? I'm cracking up, don't know the last time I had a decent night's kip.

bekisman
22-Apr-10, 08:03
Any ideas people? I'm cracking up, don't know the last time I had a decent night's kip.

In Tesco; "Tesco Sleep Aids" - had a friend use 'em, says they worked for him..

Sage
22-Apr-10, 08:55
have you tried lavender oil? put some on a tissue by your bed, and carry some with you when its bed-time and before bed have a nice warm bath with a nice relaxing bubble bath

ducati
22-Apr-10, 08:57

See the doc and get referred to the sleep clinic.

Changed my lifZzzzzz

ShelleyCowie
22-Apr-10, 09:14
i dont tend to have many problems getting to sleep. Next to food its my favourite thing! :lol: Although i dont get much sleep.

But reading usually helps me relax and sleep. Or a nice warm bubble bath before bed. Not too hot though because then it takes a while for your body temp to regulate so can take longer getting to sleep.

If all else fails, a cup of hot chocolate. :Razz Cant go wrong with that even if it doesnt help you sleep! [lol]

Invisible
22-Apr-10, 09:32
If you cant get to sleep, get up. Don't watch tv or read a book that only stimulates the mind. Change your bedsheets or even maybe time to change mattress.

You might be like me I cant sleep if im worrying bout something.
Another wacky idea is to sleep at the other end of the bed.

mrlennie
22-Apr-10, 09:55
Chloroform.

upolian
22-Apr-10, 10:35
bottle of whisky and kenny rogers on the ipod ye'll soon pass oot

Commore
22-Apr-10, 10:51
Nytol from the chemist is good and completely non addictive.

Sandra_B
22-Apr-10, 10:54
I've been told taking Melatonin works.

The Drunken Duck
22-Apr-10, 11:24
With the long nights coming in go for a run, physical exercise relaxes the body and mind and releases all those nice "feel good" chemicals that will help you sleep.

Works for me when I cant sleep.

lelebo
22-Apr-10, 13:43
Alternative Vitality has some really good sleep remedies - we're just off the High Street in wick. We've got a special offer on just now on Dormesan which is a sleep remedy based on valerian.

philupmaboug
22-Apr-10, 15:00
Night nurse, never fails for me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

katarina
22-Apr-10, 15:16
I can't sleep either and none of the above remedies really work - haven't tried chloroform of course.....

Vistravi
22-Apr-10, 17:07

My mum swears by having a hot chocolate before going to bed. I'd speak to your doctor as well and see if they can help you out.

I know how you feel as i'm not sleeping at all now but my reason is solely because i'm at the very uncomfortable stage of pregnancy and i'm having a couple of hours at night and a couple of hours nap in the afternoon to keep me functioning. It's good training i suppose for when my baby is born in a few weeks.

dragonfly
22-Apr-10, 18:19
I can get to sleep no problem whatsoever, sleeping as soon as my head hits the pillow but I'm guaranteed to start wakening about 4am and am usually up at 5 even when on my days off..........a lie in for me is 7am.

My mum used to swear by Nytol too

Dadie
22-Apr-10, 21:28
Medised!... its like calpol but with something in it to make kids sleep.... works wonders!
Dose the kids and I get a decent nights sleep:lol:

Liz
22-Apr-10, 22:55
I take this and it is the best natural sleep aid I have ever tried.http://www.greatnightsleep3.com/

Also, make sure your bedroom isn't too hot, that your mattress is comfy and supportive and your bedding nice and comfy ie not a heavy duvet.
I use Northern Nights bedding and it soooo comfy along with a lovely light microfibre duvet.

If anything is on your mind write it all down before you go to bed and,as Sage recommended, try Lavender Oil on your pillow and in your bath.

Good luck as it is really awful when you can't sleep.:confused

ShelleyCowie
22-Apr-10, 23:02
I can get to sleep no problem whatsoever, sleeping as soon as my head hits the pillow but I'm guaranteed to start wakening about 4am and am usually up at 5 even when on my days off..........a lie in for me is 7am.

My mum used to swear by Nytol too

So alike! Head meets pillow....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz lol.

But i dont do mornings. Although i tend to get up at 7.30-8am most mornings. Thats zombie time! [lol]

Scarybiscuits03
23-Apr-10, 10:26
I swear by a large glass of wine just before bed......

ShelleyCowie
23-Apr-10, 11:11
Im ashamed to admit this a little bit but here we go. The rare times i cant get to sleep i sit and sing in my head "go to sleep...close your eyes...go to sleep tired shelley..." [lol]

It actually works for me. Dunno why!

jock leith
23-Apr-10, 11:19
Move to New Zealand lots of sheep to count over here????:lol:

bekisman
24-Apr-10, 14:59
Just come across this site: http://uk.shopping.com/-tesco+sleeping+tablets first couple of rows..

Margaret M.
24-Apr-10, 17:17
have you tried lavender oil? put some on a tissue by your bed, and carry some with you when its bed-time and before bed have a nice warm bath with a nice relaxing bubble bath

Good advice, Sage, but I'm having a hard time picturing 'Rambo' relaxing in a bubble bath or sprinkling lavender oil on his hankie. :D

trix
24-Apr-10, 18:27
Good advice, Sage, but I'm having a hard time picturing 'Rambo' relaxing in a bubble bath or sprinkling lavender oil on his hankie. :D

i ken 'rambo' fine an im hevin lots o' fun imaginin'ed [lol]

whats up wi ye rambo, are ye worryin aboot somethin??

try an clear yer mind dude, count yer breaths in an oot, fully concentrate on every pore in yer body. if ye can get past 20 then theres no hope.

nip o' whiskey ;)

i wis hevin problems a while back which caused disrupt til ma sleep, real disturbin dreams. i bought some 'quiet life' tablets...they seemed til help. 3 tabs wi a cup o' hot chocolate or horlics.

twiglet
24-Apr-10, 19:39
As a part time insomniac I've found it helps to develop a bedtime routine. Cut out caffene 2 hours before bed and do something quiet for half an hour before retiring whether it's read a good book or have a bath. Sleep aid tabs also help and don't sleep during the day. I find two nights of doing that and I'm back to sleeping normally again.

If there is something bothering you - deal with it! The longer you leave it the more it will mess with you head. Failing that, go and see your GP.

John Little
24-Apr-10, 19:53
In Italy, France, Spain.... lots of people live in the centres of towns. Street noise. Even when it's quiet the brain picks up noise subconsciously.

Solution;

go to chemist. Buy earplugs (silicon) Fit in ear.

You'll sleep like a baby.

Comme il faits en la France, Italia, Espagna ...

rambo1978
24-Apr-10, 22:06
Tried everything but cant get a good nights kip, got e little one and her mate tonite so maybe i'll sleep better on the sofa

Glamrocker
25-Apr-10, 09:45
I find when I can't sleep that taking your mind off everything going round in it helps. I do this by doing the alphabet game, eg pick a subject and go through the alphabet thinking of an answer for each letter. eg flowers, aster, begonia, carnation, daffodil, or fruit, apple, banana, clementine, date. Usually before I get too far I am fast asleep.

trix
25-Apr-10, 10:39
I find when I can't sleep that taking your mind off everything going round in it helps. I do this by doing the alphabet game, eg pick a subject and go through the alphabet thinking of an answer for each letter. eg flowers, aster, begonia, carnation, daffodil, or fruit, apple, banana, clementine, date. Usually before I get too far I am fast asleep.

ats a cracker glamrocker, welcome til 'e org dude ;)

when i wis a lot yownger i used til start a begining o' alphabet an think o' as many words beginin wi A, then B an so on. ma method o' countin wis simple.
i wid count each word usin ma fingers o' ma right han', then when i got 5 i wid put up a finger o' ma left han', then anither 5 on ma right an so on.
when all 5 fingers were up on m left han' then i knew i hed 25 an i wid go on til 'e next letter.

hope 'at helps ye rambo :D

horseman
25-Apr-10, 12:10
Good reply becks,my wife has put me on those kalms, an it is helping me. But I like upolians take on the matter.