PDA

View Full Version : Doggy operation

retrodj
21-Apr-10, 16:27
My dog is getting spayed next week, and as i have never owned dogs before I do not know what is involved and how I should be taking care of her when she has had her operation.

What advice does anyone have and what preperations should I take for her coming out of the vets?

ShelleyCowie
21-Apr-10, 16:40
well i had my cat "done" recently. Obviously different but alot of loves and hugs will be needed, and dont feel bad if your ignored for a while. Its common.

Just make sure there is somewhere comfy and peaceful for your doggy to sleep after coming home.

Also she might not make it outside to do the toilet but obviously after an anesthetic and being in a bit of pain you cant blame the poor thing. So maybe a few bits of news paper down would help just incase.

xxx

carasmam
21-Apr-10, 17:07
The vet will keep you right, but just make sure your dog doesn't over do things, such as jumping up on the chair or bed and into the car for a while after.
How big is your dog? Will you be able to lift her into the car or down steps to get for a pee etc?

Dogs bounce back very quickly, she'll be fine.

Rictina
21-Apr-10, 17:23
I had my old boy Max done a few years back now, & everything went fine with no problems at all. I do remember having a few days of him sulking with me & looking at me with "those eyes" [lol].

The Vet will go through all the after care with you. :)

Liz
21-Apr-10, 18:16
I would highly recommend giving your dog the homeopathic remedy Arnica before the op as this really helps with healing and pain.

The only thing with a female is that they have more anaesthetic so can take longer to come round and my wee girl cat started shaking a bit when it was wearing off.
Just keep her warm when she gets back from the Vets and she will make a good recovery.:D

teenybash
21-Apr-10, 19:49
Keep her cosy with lots of reassurance as she regains her faculties. It's unlikely she will eat very much for a few hours, but have a bowl of water nearby for her. Keep a close eye she doesn't nibble her stitches. If she does you might need to put a special collar on to stop her.....but she should be fine and get over it quicker than you think....:)

porshiepoo
21-Apr-10, 20:17
Just had our Shih Tzu done yesterday.
Don't worry the vet will tell you everything you need to know post op and they'll answer any questions you have.
Our Shih Tzu made a quick recovery and is back to her normal self today.

Pre op: don't feed her after 6pm the night before (remove all food. lol) but make sure she can drink as much as she wants.
Don't feed her on the morning of the op.

Post op: Don't feed her till 8pm that night. We were advised to keep her on a lead when she goes out and not to let her jump about for a couple of weeks till the stitches are out. (She had a lump op as well as a speying but I assume that the aftercare is the same for a straight spey).

Painkillers will be given if needed and these are really easy to give as it's fluid painkillers we have.

I completely agree with giving the Arnica to help but I can't remember how many days before you need to start giving them.
I also keep Kasa's stomach area clean with Tea Tree as this helps relieve any itchiness also.

Good Luck