PDA

View Full Version : Computer query

Seagull
21-Apr-10, 16:23
Microsoft Office Word 2007 - I am typing a document and need to keep two words together on a line ie a name Mr Smith say, but Mr comes at the end of one line and Smith at the beginning of another. Can anyone help? I'm sure there must be a way.:roll:

Bobinovich
21-Apr-10, 16:36
If it's the natural end of a line and it's automatically flowing onto the next line then the only thing I can think of would be to adjust the margins - either increase them so more words fit on each line, or reduce them so that the Mr and the Smith go onto the next line.

jimbews
21-Apr-10, 17:22
Microsoft Office Word 2007 - I am typing a document and need to keep two words together on a line ie a name Mr Smith say, but Mr comes at the end of one line and Smith at the beginning of another. Can anyone help? I'm sure there must be a way.:roll:

Insert a non-breaking space:

Insert: Symbol
Click the "Special Characters" tab
Select Nonbreaking space
OK

Or try: Ctrl-Shift-Space

ywindythesecond
21-Apr-10, 18:47

Don't worry about it until you do your final final version. And on your final final read through, put a couple of extra spaces in front of Mr till it drops down.
Then quickly convert to pdf.

badger
22-Apr-10, 18:36
Don't worry about it until you do your final final version. And on your final final read through, put a couple of extra spaces in front of Mr till it drops down.
Then quickly convert to pdf.

I think he's pulling your leg ;) . jimbews has the right answer.

Gronnuck
23-Apr-10, 08:16
Insert a non-breaking space:

Insert: Symbol
Click the "Special Characters" tab
Select Nonbreaking space
OK

Or try: Ctrl-Shift-Space

jimbews is right - Ctrl+Shift and Space - its called a 'hard' Space.

Unfortunately too many people type people's names and they get spread all over the page because people don't know or forget to use a hard space.

Seagull
26-Apr-10, 09:40
Many thanks for your help. My ctrl+Shift and space don't work for some reason, but the Symbol - Special Character does.

Seagull

Bobinovich
26-Apr-10, 09:55
Well there you go - it's true you DO learn something new every day :D!