PDA

View Full Version : John Thurso's Whiskers

Flashman
21-Apr-10, 10:46
Wish he would bring them back, what a bum he looks with that Scabby Beard.

He used to be the most stylish man in Thurso

William
21-Apr-10, 10:52
You can say that again i was thinking the same thing!

Mrs Bucket
21-Apr-10, 12:26
What do you mean? has he no longer got his gorgeous beard? I cant vote for him now!!!

Anfield
21-Apr-10, 12:38
Maybe he is trying to disguise himself so that we do not recognise him as the same MP who overclaimed on his expenses.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Apr-10, 14:25
Here's Lucan at you, kid.

northener
21-Apr-10, 14:39
Maybe he is trying to disguise himself so that we do not recognise him as the same MP who overclaimed on his expenses.

OK, Anfield - I'll bite.

Which expenses were those? I thought he was in the clear?

Anfield
21-Apr-10, 15:00
OK, Anfield - I'll bite.

Which expenses were those? I thought he was in the clear?

He has had to repay council tax of £548.21. certainly not the highest expenses claim but why should a man of his means have to resort to this.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics-news/2010/02/05/house-of-commons-expenses-scandal-what-scotish-mps-owe-86908-22020484/

In addition, have a look at page 6 of the following:http://mpsallowances.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/hocallowances/allowances-by-mp/john-thurso/John_Thurso_0910_PAAE.pdf Why should we have to contribute to his TV licence?

Full details of all John Thurso's expenses can be found at:
http://mpsallowances.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/hocallowances/allowances-by-mp/john-thurso/

bobbyrussell09
21-Apr-10, 16:50
Wish he would bring them back, what a bum he looks with that Scabby Beard.

He used to be the most stylish man in Thurso
cant say i noticed a beard on you on sat chap

John Little
21-Apr-10, 17:05
"but why should a man of his means have to resort to this."

What means are those?

I'm not being ironic. Thurso castle fell into ruins because the Sinclairs did not have the money to repair it and keep it up.
Is John Thurso a rich man?

Cattach
21-Apr-10, 17:35

He may have faults - beard etc I mean - but over claiming expenses is certainly not one that can be laid at his door.

Anfield
21-Apr-10, 17:41
"but why should a man of his means have to resort to this."

What means are those?

I'm not being ironic. Thurso castle fell into ruins because the Sinclairs did not have the money to repair it and keep it up.
Is John Thurso a rich man?

On the MP's "Register of Interests" John Thurso/Sinclair has declared the following:
1. Remunerated directorships

Chairman of:
International Wine and Spirit Competition Ltd; organisers annual wine and spirit competition.
Ulbster Holdings Ltd.; manages family estates in Scotland.
Thurso Fisheries Ltd; manages family estates in Scotland.
Director of three wholly owned subsidiaries of Ulbster Holdings Ltd:
Ulbster Estates (Sporting) Ltd.
Lochdhu Hotels Ltd.
Sinclair Family Trust Ltd.

8. Land and Property

Estate in Caithness.

9. Registrable shareholdings

(a) Walker Greenbank PLC (2% of share capital is owned by Ulbster Holdings Ltd. which I own 100%).
(a) Ulbster Holdings Ltd (which owns 100% of Lochdhu Hotels Ltd., Ulbster Estates (Sporting) Ltd and Sinclair Family Trust Ltd.)
(a) Thurso Fisheries Ltd.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/regmem/?d=2009-05-20#11280

I will leave you to make your own mind up.

Anfield
21-Apr-10, 17:46
He may have faults - beard etc I mean - but over claiming expenses is certainly not one that can be laid at his door.

It has been confirmed that he did overclaim (but has since paid back) £400+ and had a claim for a £11 TV licence bill knocked back
You can check all of his expense claims at:
http://mpsallowances.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/hocallowances/allowances-by-mp/john-thurso/

Reading some of these expense claims make interesting reading i.e. he claims £400 per month for food.
Also compare his Council tax bill with your own

magtomich
21-Apr-10, 17:54
The unspeakable cad !

He made £4312.25 from the International Wine & Spirit racket and accepted 3 bottles of wine valued at £25 from someone !!. And that appears to be his income from offices outwith the Mother of Pig Troughs.

Hang him, hang him - where is Riggerboy when he is needed !

My mate Hilary Benn can make that in a week on the side !:Razz

Nacho
21-Apr-10, 18:01
his claims seem pretty modest if you ask me,
he's an MP miles from Westminster so will be claiming a lot but he doesn't seem to claim the maximum available.

at least he didn't claim for the upkeep of his moustache, which i agree with the OP, was a real mouser of distinction

Mrs Bucket
21-Apr-10, 18:03
expenses etc Can a man with a beard tell a bare faced lie.

Bazeye
21-Apr-10, 19:20
Thought this was a thread on a new up and coming band.

Mrs Bucket
21-Apr-10, 19:51
Thank you Bazeye that made me laugh

horseman
21-Apr-10, 21:03
he's an MP miles from Westminster so will be claiming a lot but he doesn't seem to claim the maximum available.

at least he didn't claim for the upkeep of his moustache, which i agree with the OP, was a real mouser of distinction
I like that one.:)

Bazeye
21-Apr-10, 22:51

Or his kitchen staff who bake his cakes.

Angel
21-Apr-10, 22:55
My friend Stan looked like Saddam H... but that was 20 years ago and I have not seen him since...
Saddam H is believed to have been exicuted... but I never saw the exicution...
Saw John Thurso on the telly the other day... Well I think it was him...

All is not as it seems...

Angel...

Anfield
21-Apr-10, 23:45

Thurso claimed the maximum of £400 per week in food

Hilary Benn claimed an annual amount of £147.78
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/may/08/mps-expenses-hilary-benn-ed-miliband

Anfield
21-Apr-10, 23:47
The unspeakable cad !

He made £4312.25 from the International Wine & Spirit racket and accepted 3 bottles of wine valued at £25 from someone !!. And that appears to be his income from offices outwith the Mother of Pig Troughs.

Hang him, hang him - where is Riggerboy when he is needed !

My mate Hilary Benn can make that in a week on the side !:Razz

Think you will find you are wrong about Hilary Benn - see above post

Nacho
22-Apr-10, 00:28
Thurso claimed the maximum of £400 per week in food

Hilary Benn claimed an annual amount of £147.78
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/may/08/mps-expenses-hilary-benn-ed-miliband

i stand to be corrected here, but i assume John Thurso spends a lot of time away from his constituency and will therefore claim for more 'away from home' expenses, food and drink included.

Hilary lives near London .... doesn't he ? so surely he can commute home and eat his own grub

plus Hilary Benn's a tee totaller, while our John likes his grub and according to his hotel receipts, the odd bevvie from the bar !

Thumper
22-Apr-10, 07:32
I for one think that John Thurso is great,without his help I would have been homeless! He does what he says,always trys his best and is polite and helpful into the bargain! He gets straight back to you if you have a problem,follows it through to the end and isnt afraid to fight your corner for you,I think he is the best man for the job up here-oh and yeah i liked him better with the tash too :) x

Mrs Bucket
22-Apr-10, 09:32
Interesting point Angel

sweetpea
22-Apr-10, 10:15
I for one think that John Thurso is great,without his help I would have been homeless! He does what he says,always trys his best and is polite and helpful into the bargain! He gets straight back to you if you have a problem,follows it through to the end and isnt afraid to fight your corner for you,I think he is the best man for the job up here-oh and yeah i liked him better with the tash too :) x

I haven't had any dealings with him myself but have heard lots of similar stories to yours when it comes to sorting out things with gov depts and acting on people's behalf.

Thumper
22-Apr-10, 10:27
Thanks Sweetpea,he really does get things done thats for sure! His PA Maggie is fantastic too,they go above and beyond to help you out x

Flashman
22-Apr-10, 12:36
Thanks Sweetpea,he really does get things done thats for sure! His PA Maggie is fantastic too,they go above and beyond to help you out x

Hear Hear,

I think he is a good MP, will be voting for him on the 6th.

I just wish he would bring back his distinctive oiled whiskers cos it has ruined my favorite fancy dress outfit [evil]

Flashman
22-Apr-10, 12:43
cant say i noticed a beard on you on sat chap

I can only do the Whiskers, I reckon there should be a John Thurso smilie emote complete with Whiskers on the .org

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 13:12
i stand to be corrected here, but i assume John Thurso spends a lot of time away from his constituency and will therefore claim for more 'away from home' expenses, food and drink included.

Hilary lives near London .... doesn't he ? so surely he can commute home and eat his own grub

plus Hilary Benn's a tee totaller, while our John likes his grub and according to his hotel receipts, the odd bevvie from the bar !

Don't forget that MP's meals are subsidised by us:
".. This means MPs who earn £60,000 and claim on average £135,000 expenses each year enjoy three course meals including Scottish filet steak, loin of venison, Devon crab and bottles of champagne for as little as £10.55p.."
http://www.victimsagainstcrime.com/html/body_archives_2008_1_6.html

With regards you comparing John Thurso's expenses to Hillary Benn, I enclose their respective overall expenses tables.
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/john_thurso/caithness,_sutherland_and_easter_ross

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/hilary_benn/leeds_central

As you will see MP Thurso claimed a total of £178,689 which put him in 22nd place. Included in this figure is £93,990 staffing costs. We even had to pay £5000+ for Members' Spouse & Family Travel costs

Hilary Benn (a government minister) was 574th with a total of £124,391.
his staffing costs, not forgetting that he is a minister, were £68,755.
His family travel cost was just £83

To reiterate, John Thurso is the 22nd in the league of expense claiming MP's.
Just to show that I am not being biased against Mr thurso, it is also worth noting that Orkney based MP Alastair Carmichael's expenses claim was for
£157,650, nearly £30,000 less than Thurso

Raonaid
22-Apr-10, 13:26
I see that John Thurso is consistently out of touch with his party on key issues, so we may as well have a tory as he seems to share a lot of common ground with them. Well it is not surprising really, he is a viscount with a large estate and many fingers in many pies. He'll look after his self first which is evident from his expenses. And being the MP for the area gives him a ideal position to sway things towards his own personal advantage. I'd certainly like to see someone as our MP who doesn't have so much self-interest at stake by not being our MP.

cazmanian_minx
22-Apr-10, 13:57
My mother will be sadly disappointed if he's lost the beard; she saw a photo I took of him at the Halkirk games and fell in love on the spot!

Dog-eared
22-Apr-10, 14:41
She must like sleazy looking greaseballs then ? :lol:

Mrs Bucket
22-Apr-10, 14:50
I hope Im not speaking out of turn here but I dont think anfield will be voting for whiskers john.

Mrs Bucket
22-Apr-10, 14:52
Dog eared doesnt like him either there is no accounting for some peoples taste. Hope Im not in trouble now

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 14:58
".. And being the MP for the area gives him a ideal position to sway things towards his own personal advantage. I'd certainly like to see someone as our MP who doesn't have so much self-interest at stake by not being our MP.."

He would not do that would he?
Or would he, he seems to have his fingers in so many pies, amongst which includes:

International Wine and Spirit Competition Ltd; organisers annual wine and spirit competition.
Ulbster Holdings Ltd.; manages family estates in Scotland.
Thurso Fisheries Ltd; manages family estates in Scotland.
Director of three wholly owned subsidiaries of Ulbster Holdings Ltd:
Ulbster Estates (Sporting) Ltd.
Lochdhu Hotels Ltd.
Sinclair Family Trust Ltd.

that he must spend most of his time at Westminster in abstaining from voting in matters which he has a vested interest in..

An article in last years JOG also had reservations about how committed he was in representing the people of Caithness.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6624/MP_rejects_call_for_him_to_quit.html

Kodiak
22-Apr-10, 15:05
I have been reading through all the posts on this thread and I have come to the conclusion that some people only want to see what they want to see and refuse to see fact.

There people include, but not only, Anfield & Raonaid. It is silly to try and compare Hilary Benn with John Thurso with regard to Expences. The reason being is that if you take away everything from both of these MP's that has to do with their Geographic Location then they would be just about the same.

Hilary Benn Lives 195 Miles away from London and to drive there would take Approx 3 Hours 30 Minutes.

John Thurso Lives 505 Miles away from London and to drive there would take Approx 12 Hours 45 Minutes.

Accordingly all of John Thurso's Expences incurred due to his geographical Position are bound to far greater than Hilary Benn's.

Expences such as the following :-

Staying away from main home.
Communications Allowance
Members' Travel
Members' Staff Travel
Members' Spouse Travel
Members' Family Travel

All of the above will and does cost Hilary Benn only a fraction to what it costs John Thurso and this is solely due to three things.

1. His Geographical Position.
2. His total commitment to his constituents as he spends as much time in London as he does travelling in his constituency keeping in touch and helping his voters.
3. His constituency, Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross, is the 2nd largest in the UK and to do his Job he has to travel longer and Further then most MP's.

If you all want to know what an MP can or not claim on expences I suggest that you sit down and resd "The Green Book, a guide to Members Allowances"

You can download a copy of this Publication from the link below for free.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/GreenBook.pdf

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 17:13
I have been reading through all the posts on this thread and I have come to the conclusion that some people only want to see what they want to see and refuse to see fact.

Accordingly all of John Thurso's Expences incurred due to his geographical Position are bound to far greater than Hilary Benn's.

All of the above will and does cost Hilary Benn only a fraction to what it costs John Thurso and this is solely due to three things.

1. His Geographical Position.
2. His total commitment to his constituents as he spends as much time in London as he does travelling in his constituency keeping in touch and helping his voters.
3. His constituency, Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross, is the 2nd largest in the UK and to do his Job he has to travel longer and Further then most MP's.

Alastair Carmichael MP for Orkney & Shetland lives further away from London then J Thurso, and his constituency includes a lot of inhabited offshore islands, which I know for a fact that he does visit.

Why then are his expenses lower than J Thurso's?

Also can you explain why a non-ministerial MP (Thurso), spends nearly £30,000 more on staff than a cabinet minister (Hilary Benn).
Who are these staff that he employs

Wake up and smell the coffee

mama2
22-Apr-10, 18:11
Thumper I'm glad he helped you it's nice to hear he has some uses. I on the other hand have not found him quite so helpful! I asked him for help on a matter which he did start to look into and I'm currently still waiting for a reply! That was over 5 years ago, maybe he'll get back to me before the election!

Kodiak
22-Apr-10, 18:30
Alastair Carmichael MP for Orkney & Shetland lives further away from London then J Thurso, and his constituency includes a lot of inhabited offshore islands, which I know for a fact that he does visit.

Why then are his expenses lower than J Thurso's?

I would say that the way you keep on Attacking John Thurso, also since you do not attack any other MP of which some have been sacked for their Expences Claims, it is quite clear you have a personal ajenda to try and get someone else elecred rather than John Thurso. So your tactics are to try and blacken his name and it just will not work.

I will answer these two questions and then you will hear no more from me on this subject. You will be able to rant away to your hearts content and I will just ignore your rantings.

I knew you would bring up Alastair Carmichael. There is very little difference between the 2 for expences for the last Published year. The difference is only £21,039, less than the £30,000 you are moaning on about for staff.

Also if you look at the year previous you will see that Alastair Carmichael Claimed £31,867 more than John Thurso for the same year. Not only that but for the eight years that are listed Alastair Carmichael has claimed more expences each year than John Thurso, except for 2 Years. If you check the last eight years you will see that Alastair Carmichael has claimed a Massive £115,834 MORE than John Thurso. So perhapes you should be more concerned about Alastair Carmichael than John Thurso.

Also can you explain why a non-ministerial MP (Thurso), spends nearly £30,000 more on staff than a cabinet minister (Hilary Benn).
Who are these staff that he employs

£30,000 a year is not a lot of money and is the wage for one person only and not as you ask "Who are all these Staff"

Since John Thurso is a Very Busy man and due to his geographical position + all the committees that he is on, he requires the one extra person to help him do his job. Simples.

I hope you will have lots of fun now talking to yourself here on this thread. :D

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 19:10
I would say that the way you keep on Attacking John Thurso, also since you do not attack any other MP of which some have been sacked for their Expences Claims, it is quite clear you have a personal ajenda to try and get someone else elecred rather than John Thurso. So your tactics are to try and blacken his name and it just will not work..

John Thurso was and is now my prospective MP, If I lived in the constituency of an "expense fiddling" MP I would protest just as vigourously as I am doing now

I knew you would bring up Alastair Carmichael. There is very little difference between the 2 for expences for the last Published year. The difference is only £21,039, less than the £30,000 you are moaning on about for staff..
So you don't moan when you think you are being short changed?

£30,000 a year is not a lot of money and is the wage for one person only and not as you ask "Who are all these Staff".
Thurso claimed nearly £94,000 in staff costs, not £30K, and as for you saying "£30,000 a year is not a lot of money " how many people in Caithness earn that amount of money? certainly not those who are employed in the retail, catering & tourist industry.

Since John Thurso is a Very Busy man and due to his geographical position + all the committees that he is on, he requires the one extra person to help him do his job. Simples..

To answer this, just look at the post above yours, from mama2 which states:
"Thumper I'm glad he helped you it's nice to hear he has some uses. I on the other hand have not found him quite so helpful! I asked him for help on a matter which he did start to look into and I'm currently still waiting for a reply! That was over 5 years ago, maybe he'll get back to me before the election!

I am sure that mama2 is not alone in still waiting for an answer from MR Thurso.

Maybe if he spent more of his time helping the people who vote for him and less on his "outside interests" then the people of Caithness may get an MP which they can respect

I trust that you will now honour your pledge to "I will answer these two questions and then you will hear no more from me on this subject. You will be able to rant away to your hearts content and I will just ignore your rantings."

Raonaid
22-Apr-10, 19:29
Wake up and smell the coffee

Talking of which, Viscount Thurso the Third claimed for a top-of-the-range coffee-maker for his constituency office. What is wrong with instant or if you like that proper stuff then a much cheaper cafetiere? This guy is taking the mickey out of us all and he knows he can get away with it because he thinks his constituents will just blindly vote for him like automata.

changilass
22-Apr-10, 19:38
This will be the first time I have ever voted for him.

The reason being that when something happened that was of great concern to me, he, along with David Bremner were the only ones willing to get involved.

All the councilors in the area (not just my designated one) ran scared.

The issue is still not fully resolved, but John has agreed to take it up again if he keeps his seat.

So not blindly following, just giving back to him some of the support he showed to me.

ducati
22-Apr-10, 21:32
I would say that the way you keep on Attacking John Thurso, also since you do not attack any other MP of which some have been sacked for their Expences Claims, it is quite clear you have a personal ajenda to try and get someone else elecred rather than John Thurso. So your tactics are to try and blacken his name and it just will not work.

I will answer these two questions and then you will hear no more from me on this subject. You will be able to rant away to your hearts content and I will just ignore your rantings.

I knew you would bring up Alastair Carmichael. There is very little difference between the 2 for expences for the last Published year. The difference is only £21,039, less than the £30,000 you are moaning on about for staff.

Also if you look at the year previous you will see that Alastair Carmichael Claimed £31,867 more than John Thurso for the same year. Not only that but for the eight years that are listed Alastair Carmichael has claimed more expences each year than John Thurso, except for 2 Years. If you check the last eight years you will see that Alastair Carmichael has claimed a Massive £115,834 MORE than John Thurso. So perhapes you should be more concerned about Alastair Carmichael than John Thurso.

£30,000 a year is not a lot of money and is the wage for one person only and not as you ask "Who are all these Staff"

Since John Thurso is a Very Busy man and due to his geographical position + all the committees that he is on, he requires the one extra person to help him do his job. Simples.

I hope you will have lots of fun now talking to yourself here on this thread. :D

If anything I would sumise you have more of an agenda than Anfield :eek:

Tubthumper
22-Apr-10, 21:48
So if you offer your services in politics for the good of your area and the people in it, take on heavy responsibilities, long hours and constant whining and abuse from your constituents, the press and the vested interests you oppose, you should be happy with inferior pay & conditions? I think not!

Do we want people to run it for charity or fun?? Instant coffee??? Are you all mad???:eek:

wifie
22-Apr-10, 21:58
So if you offer your services in politics for the good of your area and the people in it, take on heavy responsibilities, long hours and constant whining and abuse from your constituents, the press and the vested interests you oppose, you should be happy with inferior pay & conditions? I think not!

Do we want people to run it for charity or fun?? Instant coffee??? Are you all mad???:eek:

I have to say I am with you on the coffee Tubs but it would seem that MPs have severely taken the mick with their claims. Why should anyone be paid extortionately? Many people work long hours, take on heavy responsibilities and put up with whining in their jobs and do not have the luxury of a large salary. The fact is that the majority of politicians live very different lives to the people they represent and are, more than likely, used to such frivolities. It would be the system which allows such claims that is to blame. If you had carte blanche to charge things to your employers would you not do the same?

Thumper
22-Apr-10, 21:59
Anfield-John Thurso has actually helped me out on two seperate problem and on more than two occasions,I feel sorry for mama2 but I cannot fault his tenacity when helping me with my problems. I also met John in the Houses of Parliament last year when i was there for an award ceremony,John was sitting in the house that day and popped along to wish the recipient of the award well and to meet us all-now he didnt have to actually bother doing that either,but he made the time to do so x

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 22:06
Anfield-John Thurso has actually helped me out on two seperate problem and on more than two occasions,I feel sorry for mama2 but I cannot fault his tenacity when helping me with my problems. I also met John in the Houses of Parliament last year when i was there for an award ceremony,John was sitting in the house that day and popped along to wish the recipient of the award well and to meet us all-now he didnt have to actually bother doing that either,but he made the time to do so x

I have no doubt John Thurso has helped some of the Caithness population, but I do wonder that if gave up some of his outside interests he could help more.

Thumper
22-Apr-10, 22:08
Perhaps,but then again perhaps he keeps up his outside interests not only for something else to do,but to also ensure he has a livelyhood if perhaps he doesnt stay a MP? x

golach
22-Apr-10, 22:17
I have no doubt John Thurso has helped some of the Caithness population, but I do wonder that if gave up some of his outside interests he could help more.
You jealous of a very successful man Anfield? it would seem so. I wonder if you would say such things to him if he came to your door electioneering, you are very brave sitting at a keyboard.

Anfield
22-Apr-10, 22:27

£65,738 a year + £178,689 expenses per annum for part time hours (check his voting record at http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=John_Thurso&mpc=Caithness%2C_Sutherland_%26amp%3B_Easter_Ross&house=commons&display=allvotes) and you call this "inferior pay", what job do you do?, an English Premiership League football player?

He is 22nd on list of expense claimants and yet has only, according to above link, voted 786 times out of 1288, which is 61%.

You also mention "the constant whining and abuse from ...vested interests you oppose", how about the renumeration from the "vested interests" that he has an interest in?
If he can not handle the "constant whining and abuse from your constituents, the press" there is a simple answer, withdraw from public life with the common excuse " I want to spend more time with my family"

But then again, we are subsidising his families travel costs to the tune of £5,000 per year, what are these costs for? Does your wife and family get paid expenses if they want to see you or run an errand for you.

Andfield
22-Apr-10, 23:08
There seems to be only one answer to this and that is :

Vote Anfield X whenever this election is happening.

He is the man with all the answers and you rednecks would do well to remember that - the Merseyside revolution is coming your way.[evil]

Solidarity and Scouse Power rools.:eek:

Anfield
23-Apr-10, 12:27
Vote for Anfield, you know it makes sense.

Having migrated from the socialist utopia of Merseyside where the workshy rule and gun crime is running at around 5 cases per day (according to the Liverpool Echo) there is no doubt that this country needs another Degsy Hatton type at the helm.

He would show these amateurs how to screw expenses.

Are you Sam Tyler (Life on Mars - TV Programme) in disguise, as like you he was in a coma for 25 years.

Liverpool has been under the control of Liberal Democrats for past 12 years.

Finally, I like a bet so I will offer you this one:

Post a link which confirms that "gun crime is running at around 5 cases per day (according to the Liverpool Echo" and I will donate a tenner to Thurso's campaign fund (saving having to cadge off his mates)

Fail to post a link, and you pay £10 to a charity of your choice.

Then, we will double or quits on any links confirming that Derek Hatton ever defrauded Liverpool City Council

So lets see if you can put your money where your mouth is.

Magtomich:
Two days now since I asked you to put up or shut up.
I take it that I shall not have to donate £10 to the John Thurso campaign fund, and look forward to hearing which charity has benefited from your £20 donation.

bky
23-Apr-10, 12:47
from the Liverpool Echo --

TIT-FOR-TAT fall-outs have been blamed for a surge in shootings on Merseyside.
Last week saw five gun attacks in as many days, with a wine bar doorman and an customer both ending up in hospital.
In the other shootings, houses were fired at in Wavertree, West Derby, Croxteth and Huyton.
The disregard shown by the gunmen – in West Derby they rode up on a motorbike at 11am in full view of the neighbourhood – led to police smashing through numerous doors as they went after those thought to be responsible.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/04/21/tit-for-tat-fall-outs-blamed-as-shootings-rise-on-merseyside-100252-26284776/

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Apr-10, 12:51
You have to question (or, perhaps marvel slightly) at John Sinclair's audacity for giving himself the self-proclaimed surname of "Thurso". Is there a Mr. Wick out there? Miss Staxigoe?

wifie
23-Apr-10, 16:37
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

Wullie Shakespeare :)

Boozeburglar
23-Apr-10, 17:12
As far as I can tell, John Sinclair's pretty clean by all accounts.

Ironic to have such accusations here on a site called after the county that has absorbed more of the tax payer's money for little return than many places.

Half of us grew up in houses full of stuff half inched from the big D. and were brought up by folks 'working' for the same.

Anfield
23-Apr-10, 17:47
As far as I can tell, John Sinclair's pretty clean by all accounts.

Ironic to have such accusations here on a site called after the county that has absorbed more of the tax payer's money for little return than many places.

As far as I am aware I have not posted any "accusations" against Mr Thurso.
Everything I have submiited has been accompanied by links to the web sites where I obtained material.

Sara Jevo
23-Apr-10, 21:12

A very decent sort of person. And he didn't have his hand nearly so far in the till as most of the rats in that sewer.

I used to think he was a very good constituency MP but never would carry any clout nationally because he was in a fringe party. Not so sure now. :eek:

Beards are horrible for smudging your make-up. He looks like that King George bloke.

Dog-eared
23-Apr-10, 21:57
But why change your name anyway ?? From a local name like Sinclair to a pretentious name like Thurso ??

Alice in Blunderland
23-Apr-10, 23:10
A little information on Lord Thurso who kindly helped our family out this year with a Visa issue.

I believe he has also been involved with local businesses during this recession. :)

http://www.johnthurso.org/pages/allowances.html