PDA

View Full Version : Hamnavoe to the rescue

Tugmistress
20-Apr-10, 21:08
Cancellations affecting the Pentland Firth Route Updated Tuesday 20th April at 20:36
M.V. Hamnavoe
Arrived in Stromness at 20:30
Due to a request by the Scottish government, the MV Hamnavoe is being deployed to Bergen to repatriate UK citizens currently displaced due to the flight situation. There will be no sailings on the Pentland Firth route on Wednesday 21st or Thursday 22nd April.
The next scheduled sailing will depart Stromness on Friday 23rd April at 06:30 to arrive in Scrabster at 08:00

taken from the northlink website.

will be a nice change for the crew, wonder if they'll go with the capacity of 600 passengers?

Dog-eared
20-Apr-10, 21:19
Cue "633 Squadron " soundtrack as the Hamnavoe struggles through heavy seas to get people back. There might be a few green faces on the return trip !

ducati
20-Apr-10, 21:23
Cue "633 Squadron " soundtrack as the Hamnavoe struggles through heavy seas to rescue people. There might be a few green faces on the way back !

Yes we are due some pretty heavy seas. Having sailed on the Hamnavoe in heavy seas she is not the smoothest vessel :lol:

lynne duncan
21-Apr-10, 01:12
aaaah the good old british spirit, eh! shades of the normandy landing

wifie
21-Apr-10, 04:16
Good old Hamnavoe! A couple of old mates are stuck in Bergen so will be thrilled to see her!!!

sassylass
21-Apr-10, 04:51
I wonder how long will the crossing take?

Kevin Milkins
21-Apr-10, 05:15
I think I would prefer to stay in Bergen than risk a bad crossing.:eek:

A mate of mine is stuck in Florida and he is pretending to hate it.:Razz

joxville
21-Apr-10, 06:12
I think I would prefer to stay in Bergen than risk a bad crossing.:eek:

A mate of mine is stuck in Florida and he is pretending to hate it.:Razz
My nephew and his bride are 'stuck' in America too. They are finding it a bit boring being put up in a four star hotel, all expenses paid. ;)

William
21-Apr-10, 10:58
About time that boat was doing some work it never seems to be busy at all god knows how they can afford to run it.

At the request of the Scottish Government, NorthLink Ferries will be operating a special service from Bergen to Aberdeen on the 21st April.
Check-in is 1900 (Norwegian time) at the Fjordline Ferry Terminal in Bergen.
The MV Hamnavoe is expected to arrive in Aberdeen 18 hours after departing Bergen.
Foot passengers only. Single tickets can be booked at a price of

Adults - £100 for single foot passage
Children (5-16yrs) - £50
Infants (0-4yrs) - Free
Cabins, cars and pets cannot be booked for this journey.

northener
21-Apr-10, 11:11
About time that boat was doing some work it never seems to be busy at all god knows how they can afford to run it.

With a large amount of FOC cash from the Gubbernment, I believe.....

buffy
21-Apr-10, 12:33
awww and there was me thinking Northlink were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts :)

Scout
21-Apr-10, 14:44
Hi Tugmistress I hope you have had good time and your husband :-) be good an have fun ;)

northener
21-Apr-10, 15:08
The Northlink Orkney run attracts about £6m in subsidies, this relates to about 50-60% of total revenue. (if I'm reading my figures correctly).

Andrew Banks - who owns the Gills Bay ferry - doesn't get a penny. I believe he is on record as stating he could near as dammit run the ferry for free if he recieved the same amount of support as Northlink from the Gubbernment.

ducati
21-Apr-10, 15:51
The Northlink Orkney run attracts about £6m in subsidies, this relates to about 50-60% of total revenue. (if I'm reading my figures correctly).

Andrew Banks - who owns the Gills Bay ferry - doesn't get a penny. I believe he is on record as stating he could near as dammit run the ferry for free if he recieved the same amount of support as Northlink from the Gubbernment.

To be fair, the Gubbernment do actually own Northlink and Calmac. It was seen as a bipolar manopoly a couple of years back so the big G tendered all the routes, despite Calmac owning all the ships and harbours, guess what? Calmac won the tender! :eek:

northener
21-Apr-10, 16:01
To be fair, the Gubbernment do actually own Northlink and Calmac. It was seen as a bipolar manopoly a couple of years back so the big G tendered all the routes, despite Calmac owning all the ships and harbours, guess what? Calmac won the tender! :eek:

Aye, good to see free enterprise in action, makes me want to weep with joy.......:Razz

DRM
21-Apr-10, 16:28
I thought that the Hamnavoe received it subsidy as "Its a lifeline service" If its a lifeline service and so important how on earth do they justify not running the service for a couple of days when it is subsidised as a lifeline - makes you think of a bit of bias against the private operator.

George Brims
21-Apr-10, 17:44
My nephew and his bride are 'stuck' in America too. They are finding it a bit boring being put up in a four star hotel, all expenses paid. ;)
Please tell me what airline they are using. Most airlines give you nothing when "acts of nature" cancel flights.

mums angels
22-Apr-10, 16:17
My kids didnt believe me yesterday dinner time ( we usually watch the ferry come in at dinner ) that the ferry had gone to help out some that were stranded because of the volcano so was pleased to find it on bbc news just so i could show them . Must have been a nice change for the crew.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8636532.stm

golach
22-Apr-10, 19:18
Hamnavoe is due back on station at 2330 in Stromness, currently off Peterhead heading north.

Stack Rock
22-Apr-10, 19:44
According to the news only 150 people were rescued by the ferry. Isn't this a complete over-reaction. Shurely they could have caught normal ferries to the uk which wouldn't have been full this time of year. Meanwhile the orcadians are spitting blood for not being consulted over this.

gollach
22-Apr-10, 23:43
Hamnavoe now entering Scapa Flow - almost home.
Will be good to see her again tomorrow morning.