PDA

View Full Version : Old Daffodils

Rheghead
31-May-06, 09:01
What is the best thing to do with old daffodils? My mother always said to dead-head them but I have seen a lot who fold the leaves and tie up with string. Uptil now, I have just left them to decay away.

Does anyone really know?:D

janette
31-May-06, 12:32
What is the best thing to do with old daffodils? My mother always said to dead-head them but I have seen a lot who fold the leaves and tie up with string. Uptil now, I have just left them to decay away.

Does anyone really know?:D

My method, and I've had the same bulbs growing for years and years. Cut the dead heads off. Leave the leaves, until they yellow, to allow the 'good' to go back into the bulbs. The old way was to leave them until after the longest day, but with earlier springs, maybe cut them sooner than that. Dont fold them down, as this destroys the goodness in the leaves, and doesnt let the bulbs mature naturally.

For tulips - dead head, lift and 'toast' them in the sun, if we ever get any.
The leaves will drop off naturally and with a bit of luck some will survive. If left in the soil, the slugs will have a feast.

Hope this helps

girnigoe
31-May-06, 16:45
My hubby takes the strimmer to them!!! :evil after the flowers have died.

They come back every year just as good as the last.....

Naefearjustbeer
31-May-06, 17:30
I just leave them along with the dandielions and daisys and they grow back every year. I hope to have a jungle soon :eek:

JimH
01-Jun-06, 23:06
They have them down Norfolk and Lincolnshire by the field, and the just take a mower to them.
We have always cut them with the grass when they have finished flowering and they still multiply each year.

Kenn
02-Jun-06, 00:33
The method I was taught was to take 2 of the longest leaves, pull the rest together and turn down then use the 2 you have kept to 1 side to wind round the others and knot. Leave until they have turned yellow and then gently pull them away.
A piece of string will also make a good tie and can be more durable than using the leaves.
This will ensure that the bulbs enlarge and will flower better the next year.Most daffodils if left in this fashion will need to have their clumps sub-divided about every 2/3 years

katarina
04-Jun-06, 21:15
if you deadhead them before they seed, the good will go back into the plant. If you mow the leaves before they yellow, yes the daffs will come back, but with more leaf and smaller flower. If you lift the bulbs and let them dry out and replant in the Autumn, you will get bigger heads on them next year.