PDA

View Full Version : half protions

Lingland
20-Apr-10, 14:42
While reading another thread about cafes etc someone suggested half portions could be on offer. I agree as I have problems finishing normal helpings and the childrens menu is not very appealing just wondering what others think.

Dadie
20-Apr-10, 15:00
Think it was me mentioning it!
I usually ask if there is 1/2 portions in places even if they have a kids menu as kids menus tend to be awful!
Some places are happy to do 1/2 portions other places dont! (you get a look as if to say are you wise)

Bobinovich
20-Apr-10, 15:50
On a recent visit to Wickers World I plumped for my preferred dish, the All Day Breakfast. My 10-year-old son asked if he could have a smaller plate of the same. No problem at all - very accommodating, and the food was delicious and disappeared incredibly fast.

Commore
20-Apr-10, 16:04
Don't believe in portion control.
:)

Margaret M.
20-Apr-10, 16:10
The expanding waistlines everywhere are proof that portions need to be cut for everyone.

Even paintings are not spared from having more food piled on their plates:
If your food portions seem to have grown larger over the years, you have some blessed company.
Two researchers analyzed the food and plate sizes in 52 of the most famous paintings of The Last Supper and found that the portion sizes in the paintings have increased dramatically over the past millennium, from years 1000 to 2000.
Findings published in April's International Journal of Obesity: Over that 1,000-year period, the main course size increased by 69%, plate size 66% and loaves of bread 23%. The biggest increases in size came after 1500.

Leanne
20-Apr-10, 16:17
The biggest increases in size came after 1500.

It's all Henry the VIII's fault!

Dadie
20-Apr-10, 21:28
The other thing we do is order 1 portion of something and a spare plate and split it!
Only useful if you have someone wanting to eat the same though:lol:
Or a starter as a main course with maybe a side of chips etc!

ducati
20-Apr-10, 21:32
I would go as far as legislation. Make it the law that fat people are only allowed half protions. Oh, that will be me then :(

Leanne
20-Apr-10, 21:32
The other thing we do is order 1 portion of something and a spare plate and split it!

Craig and I do that when going for an Indian or Chinese - we only get food envy if we order differently.

If I am going for a 3 course meal sometimes I will order 2 starters and a pudding - I will manage to fit in that sticky toffee cake!

donnick
20-Apr-10, 21:49
please stop ur making me hungry :lol:

Dadie
20-Apr-10, 22:08
*laughing*
I always look at the puddings first ... to see if it is worth having 2 starters instead of a main... then see if it is a better bet to have no starter and just a main so I can fit in pudding!
or if there is nothing I fancy on the pudding front I can then order a starter and a main.... :lol:

Leanne
20-Apr-10, 23:04
*laughing*
I always look at the puddings first ... to see if it is worth having 2 starters instead of a main... then see if it is a better bet to have no starter and just a main so I can fit in pudding!
or if there is nothing I fancy on the pudding front I can then order a starter and a main.... :lol:

You sound just like me! I have such a sweet tooth that the deserts menu is the first thing i look at. I have left restaurants that only offer ice cream and cheese ;)

Mrs Bucket
21-Apr-10, 12:30
Think it was me mentioning it!
I usually ask if there is 1/2 portions in places even if they have a kids menu as kids menus tend to be awful!
Some places are happy to do 1/2 portions other places dont! (you get a look as if to say are you wise)
I know exactly what you mean or you poor thing can you not afford it. I hate waste and I never finish a full portion.

Mrs Bucket
21-Apr-10, 12:32
Or a starter as a main course with maybe a side of chips etc!
Im so pleased to discover there is someone else on the same wavelength as me when it comes to food.

sids
21-Apr-10, 12:47
I think you can get half protons delivered from the Large Hadron Collider.

telfordstar
21-Apr-10, 13:15
*laughing*

Lol im so glad im not the only one who does that!

Dadie
21-Apr-10, 13:21
My menu method drives my Hubby batty... he doesnt understand the importance of puddings and why would anyone base the rest of their dinner around the desert menu!

Think it is a girl thing!

annemarie482
21-Apr-10, 13:23
when i worked in the hotel, we were often asked for half portions.
which we happily served to the customer.
problem is though, that half portion does not mean half price!
costing means yes it is cheaper than full price but more than half price.
(ie: the electric, staff etc used is still the same although less food used)
try telling that to someone who will argue until blue in the face!
(a regular issue. people asking for halves to make a meal out cheaper)
this may be the reason some places aren't keen to offer this.
just not worth the hassle!

ShelleyCowie
21-Apr-10, 13:37
To be honest, i dont think i have ever asked for a half portion! :lol: I tend to eat the whole thing no matter how much there is [lol]

But i will either have

Starter & Pudding
Main & Pudding
Starter & Main

And on the rare occasion i have starter, main and pudding! :cool:

Leanne
21-Apr-10, 13:38
when i worked in the hotel, we were often asked for half portions.
which we happily served to the customer.
problem is though, that half portion does not mean half price!
costing means yes it is cheaper than full price but more than half price.
(ie: the electric, staff etc used is still the same although less food used)
try telling that to someone who will argue until blue in the face!
(a regular issue. people asking for halves to make a meal out cheaper)
this may be the reason some places aren't keen to offer this.
just not worth the hassle!

That's what doggy bags are for ;)

sjr014
21-Apr-10, 21:08
On a recent visit to Wickers World I plumped for my preferred dish, the All Day Breakfast. My 10-year-old son asked if he could have a smaller plate of the same. No problem at all - very accommodating, and the food was delicious and disappeared incredibly fast.

Yeah i always ask for a half portion of things in there for my wee one and they are always very accomodating. Im always specific as to what i want ie just few chips because i find if there is too much on her plate it puts her off. I dont expect to pay half the price infact happy to pay the full price if i get what i ask for and its to an acceptable standard. And im with Dadie sometimes the kids menus in place consists of chicken nuggets or fish fingers when i prefer my wee one to have proper homemade meals that id eat myself!

Fran
22-Apr-10, 00:22
mY MOTHER AND I ALWAYS GOT HALF PORTIONS IN THE THRUMSTER PUB, WHERE THE MEALS ARE ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS