PDA

View Full Version : Old folks who used to run, climb, cycle

bekisman
20-Apr-10, 14:04
Any old(ish) ex-runners, climbers, cyclists outdoor activities out there?.. I mention this as just seen the Ben Ratha's Hill 10k Race mentioned.. In my youth I did an awful lot of cross country running; at least two 8 mile cross country's each weekend for years, , and fair bit of cycling (Lands End to John O Groats) etc, walking; West Highland Way, across Britain on Hadrian's wall, climbing; Ben Nevis, Snowdon, Mt Kinabalu etc.. and now at 65 me knees are bleeding knackered; osteoarthritis..

Just a thought, but in my youth, no problems with knees etc, so maybe I should have sat on me bum,and might not have this false knee and another one coming this Summer? Anyone else have similar ideas/thoughts?

I'm not too bothered of course, would not have missed an active lifestyle for anything...

horseman
20-Apr-10, 14:15
Aye bekisman-we were young then,an life was all in front of us. What a lovely place to be:) an I can look back on it with a big smile on my chops.:D

bekisman
20-Apr-10, 14:22
Aye bekisman-we were young then,an life was all in front of us. What a lovely place to be:) an I can look back on it with a big smile on my chops.:D

Just had our mail - got one from the Pension people, and it's in font size 14! - me eyes aren't THAT bad yet :lol:

Mr Z
20-Apr-10, 14:58
The older I get the better I was!!

ducati
20-Apr-10, 18:06
The older I get the better I was!!

Knackered my ankle in a motorcycle accident when I was 19 and have never been able to run since, do plenty of walking though. It is hard to keep fit when you can't run. :(

John Little
20-Apr-10, 18:49
At 57 I still ride my bike and plan to do a lot lot more when I retire. In fact herself and meself are going to do Lands End- JoG. I already did it. I must have walked the Pennine way 10 times, lots in the Lakes, Offa's Dyke twice, Lyke Wake, Coast to coast Twice. South Downs 5 times,Ridgeway 3 times Walked in Pyrenees and cycled inTuscany. Cycled hundreds of miles roudn Scotland at a go.

No problems yet - touch wood. I plan to get fit again and take the wife up the western Isles too by bike- wonderful run.

Yer as old as ye feel.

Errogie
20-Apr-10, 22:55
Age is just a number but there's also quite a bit of luck and genetics in being able to keep going when you're in the super vet category. Providing you don't run when injured or are badly overweight there's some evidence that suggests continuing to use your joints hard actually leads to less signs of deterioration in advanced years compared to a non exerciser. Plus of course the proven cardio vascular benefits.

And of course it's always satisfying to beat someone in a race who is half your age and to catch that runner's high which is impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't been there. Looking forward to Beinn Ratha as I was last there about 1960 with the scouts when for some reason we set the heather uncontrollably on fire early one Sunday morning after a weekends camping!

George Brims
21-Apr-10, 17:59
In my late 20s I used to cycle a lot. It was my main means of transport to and from work. I did over 3500 miles three years in a row, almost hitting 5000 the middle year. All this in the far from flat Edinburgh/Penicuik area. I used to blast past probably 95% of other cyclists up a hill no bother at all. Then one day I was going up North Bridge in Edinburgh into a nasty head wind, and this older bloke, mid-40s, wearing an old gabardine raincoat flapping in the breeze, went by me like I was standing still. It was a guy called Sandy Gilchrist, a top class racer in his day, and owner of a bike shop down near Meadowbank where I used to go for bike parts and advice. Obviously his fitness had never left him!