PDA

View Full Version : sky

wicker8
19-Apr-10, 19:53
thinking about getting sky any info on it please thanks

Serenity
19-Apr-10, 20:54
What kind of info? If you want crap tv filled with adverts at a rip off price then go for it.
In all seriousness what kind of info do you want?

Kodiak
19-Apr-10, 21:18
Phone SKY up and ask them what "Special Offers" they have at the moment. It is well worth asking as they just might have the special Offer that suits you down to the ground.

I have SKY+HD and I love it and to me it is worth every penny I pay. It is clear that Serenity is not a Fan of SKY but you can not please all the people all of the time.

If you want to know the package and what I pay for PM me and I will send you the info.

Anfield
19-Apr-10, 21:53
Wait a couple of months till the Digital Switchover is completed.
You may find that BT and other providers can then offer a better deal than Sky.

I sent an email to three TV retailers in Thurso (Alacam, Beggs & Chessors) enquiring about what effect the changeover will have for people who live in a rural area, and who cannot receive freeview.

Despite sending a reminder seven days later, the only shop that replied was Alacam.
Guess where I will be shopping.

purplelady
19-Apr-10, 21:56
i have sky and think it is great but i do agree give them a ring see wat packages they have they have all sorts to suit all pockets

poppett
20-Apr-10, 09:25
I am not surprised with the responses. Alacam is my first stop for purchases every time for electrical goods.

For running repairs of TV, video, DVD etc., then our own Moonboots is my first port of call.

ShelleyCowie
20-Apr-10, 09:36
i recently upgraded to Sky+ HD and as Kodiak said, its worth it! Although i do forget that we have the HD sometimes.

I had just normal Sky+ before and it was good too. As long as i could record my programs i was fine. But the HD box seems to be better. I didnt like the new tv guide to start with but now i have realised its alot better.

If you are a new customer to Sky you can get a HD box for free as far as i am aware. Give them a ring to see though :)

Also i was thinking about getting the BT Vision in my bedroom at a later date. BT Vision is alot cheaper per month. Basically you pay for what you watch.

golach
20-Apr-10, 09:42
i recently upgraded to Sky+ HD and as Kodiak said, its worth it! Although i do forget that we have the HD sometimes.

I had just normal Sky+ before and it was good too. As long as i could record my programs i was fine. But the HD box seems to be better. I didnt like the new tv guide to start with but now i have realised its alot better.

If you are a new customer to Sky you can get a HD box for free as far as i am aware. Give them a ring to see though :)

Also i was thinking about getting the BT Vision in my bedroom at a later date. BT Vision is alot cheaper per month. Basically you pay for what you watch.
I agree with you about Sky+ HD Shelley, I too forget I have it, but it is good when I do remember. But rather that wasting money on BT Vision, invest in one of these, they are great.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5345014/Trail/searchtext%3EVIDEO+SENDER.htm

wicker8
20-Apr-10, 09:54
hi all thanks very much for your help all my best wishes

Cattach
20-Apr-10, 15:03
Wait a couple of months till the Digital Switchover is completed.
You may find that BT and other providers can then offer a better deal than Sky.

I sent an email to three TV retailers in Thurso (Alacam, Beggs & Chessors) enquiring about what effect the changeover will have for people who live in a rural area, and who cannot receive freeview.

Despite sending a reminder seven days later, the only shop that replied was Alacam.
Guess where I will be shopping.

Member of family has digital TV through BT forget it. Poor service limited choice. Digital changeover will make no difference. Majority of people are already on Digital either Sky sat, freesat or freeview so analogue switch off is a formality.

Moonboots
20-Apr-10, 16:19
Member of family has digital TV through BT forget it. Poor service limited choice
This statement is neither true or false.

BT Vision is basically Freeview with On Demand. So if you do not get a good signal from your aerial then the service will be poor..

You pay for an on demand service which is only limited choice of quality programmes and films...

Digital changeover will make no difference.

The Switchover will make a difference as the signal is being strengthened and a stronger signal will be sent out - roughly 10dB more than it is at this moment.

The 1st date (2nd June - Rumster Forest Transmitter) will turn off the BBC 2 analogue signal so you will not recieve BBC 2 analogue however you will recieve BBC1 analogue instead on this channel and a new MUX will be introduced in a stronger robust frequency for BBC Freeview.

The 2nd Date (16th June - Rumster Forest Transmitter) All other analogue signals (muxes) will be switched off and replaced with new high powered muxes for Freeview and HD.

Freeview TV's and Boxes will need to be re-tuned on both dates and may have to do it a few times on the dates given.[/QUOTE]

For running repairs of TV, video, DVD etc., then our own Moonboots is my first port of call.

Thanks for your kind words Poppett..

Cattach
20-Apr-10, 16:33
This statement is neither true or false.

The Switchover will make a difference as the signal is being strengthened and a stronger signal will be sent out - roughly 10dB more than it is at this moment.

My comment regarding switch over making no difference to the service was not relating to signal but the type of service and the price which was mentioned in the original posting. However, I well aware that there will be a stronger signal but this is still, the experts tell me, not in some cases to provide a Freeview signal to all areas. Some not getting Freeview at the moment will benfit from the stronger signal others will still not receive.

Regard BT, I am aware it is Freeview with choice and extra channels but cost and cost of choice shows it to be more expensive than Sky. When my garnschildren visit they always comment on getting channels that they do not have on BT Vision despite paying more per month. There system is laso not as good a signal as mine - maybe that will change at full switch over.

Moonboots
20-Apr-10, 16:33
I forgot to mention.....

If you are receiving signals from the Thurso, Melvich, Tongue Relay transmitters then you will only receive 2 muxes which will be roughly around 15 Freeview Channels and Freeview HD.

If you are able to get your aerial re-positioned to get Rumster Forest transmitter then you should receive around 40+ channels and HD.

Transmission power is currently around 1 - 2kW output but after switchover it will be 10 - 20kw output.

So even if you get freeview perfectly right now then you might get problems after the switchover as the signal might be too strong!!!! If you have an aerial amplifier then this might have to be removed to get a good signal once more...

Please feel free to ask any more questions and I will be glad to help.

Moonboots
20-Apr-10, 16:45
My comment regarding switch over making no difference to the service was not relating to signal but the type of service and the price which was mentioned in the original posting.

I appologise if this was your intention regarding the service.

I well aware that there will be a stronger signal but this is still, the experts tell me, not in some cases to provide a Freeview signal to all areas. Some not getting Freeview at the moment will benfit from the stronger signal others will still not receive.

This is also the case.. Thats why relay transmitters were installed in the analogue days..
Some people would be unable to point their aerial to the main transmitter so the relay would be used to provide TV services. This will still happen.

A small majority may not receive signals after the switchover but we would not know until after this happens. Basically if you are able to receive analogue signals in the clear or near clear then you should get digital signals.

Regard BT, I am aware it is Freeview with choice and extra channels but cost and cost of choice shows it to be more expensive than Sky. When my garnschildren visit they always comment on getting channels that they do not have on BT Vision despite paying more per month. There system is laso not as good a signal as mine - maybe that will change at full switch over.

I totally agree with this comment... I few people have asked me before about BT Vision and i advise them that personally i wouldnt touch it however its their choice.. Why pay a fair amount of money for small choice when you can get more choice through Sky.

Liz
20-Apr-10, 18:22
I forgot to mention.....

If you are receiving signals from the Thurso, Melvich, Tongue Relay transmitters then you will only receive 2 muxes which will be roughly around 15 Freeview Channels and Freeview HD.

If you are able to get your aerial re-positioned to get Rumster Forest transmitter then you should receive around 40+ channels and HD.

Transmission power is currently around 1 - 2kW output but after switchover it will be 10 - 20kw output.

So even if you get freeview perfectly right now then you might get problems after the switchover as the signal might be too strong!!!! If you have an aerial amplifier then this might have to be removed to get a good signal once more...

Please feel free to ask any more questions and I will be glad to help.

Thanks a lot for the info Moonboots.:D

My Freeview signal strength at the moment is 75% so how much do you think this would increase by following the switchover and at what percentage would the signal be too strong?

I have an amplifier fitted so, as you rightly say, I could just have this removed if the signal gets too strong and causes problems.

It is good to know you are on hand should there be any problems.

Moonboots
21-Apr-10, 11:05
Thanks a lot for the info Moonboots.:D

My Freeview signal strength at the moment is 75% so how much do you think this would increase by following the switchover and at what percentage would the signal be too strong?

I have an amplifier fitted so, as you rightly say, I could just have this removed if the signal gets too strong and causes problems.

It is good to know you are on hand should there be any problems.

Its hard to say what your strength will be after the switchover. It depends on alot of factors...

All Freeview boxes and TV's have a different gain thresholds to handle the signal and convert it. Meaning the tuner will overload... causing breakup etc...

I would suggest that if you have problems with the picture after the 2nd stage switchover then get the masthead amplifier removed. This should solve the problem.

Im always around one way of another....lol...

only me
21-Apr-10, 11:41
would not be without it lovely reception good viewing